Why the Jets drafted Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Good Read...

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/06/...ts-quarterback-private-workout-nfl-draft-2016

It seems from this that Hack is their man. If that's the case, they should have traded Petty last off season and got some ROI.

2. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy... Then again...:)

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I really don't understand this POV. Why do you think Petty was drafted to be heir apparent, and that if he wasn't, that he must be moved. Does the team not need a quality backup?

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  5. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Petty's best case scenario has always been becoming a starter down the road. It would be considered a success if he becomes a solid backup that could spot start. No reason to dump him. Hopefully Hack eventually becomes the man he holds the clipboard for.

Jets81 likes this.
  6. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

I just want to see Petty or Hack start and play a full regular season game already. Can't evaluate shit when both are riding the pine.

7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Hackenburg did well when they had a pro style offense during his freshman year. They changed the system and he struggled. He could be a diamond in the rough if he can pick up this system. Big Ben potential. I like Petty, but feel it would be great if Hack won the job.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's nice to know that this regime is being proactive in finding a quarterback. It's nice that Hackenberg wasn't rushed along like Geno was, but it's about damn time we see Petty.

Trying to salvage a 3-6 season, while holding zero tiebreakers against key AFC opponents and likely needing 10 wins to get in is a joke.

I'm so god damn confused as to why Fitzpatrick is the absolute starter at this point. Do they not care about evaluating Petty moving forward? Has he shown to be that terrible in practice, or is he that behind on the playbook? He outplayed Geno in preseason for the most part. This is perplexing.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem is though, that this isn't a pro-style offense. I'm not incredibly up to date on how Penn State's offense was structured but we basically run a spread style offense.

10. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Petty thrived in a spread system in college, Hackenberg thrived in a classical pro system. Why draft a pro-style drop back QB who struggles in the spread and has statuesque footwork in the gun? It doesn't make sense to draft a guy who struggles in the system you run.

My only thought is that they plan on changing the system up after the season, but that makes you think what these guys, Petty and Hack are doing now. Are they really having Hackenberg learn a new playbook to scrap it after a year or so?

Furthermore, Petty thrives in the spread, he lives to play throw and catch. Why are they so defensive about playing him in what he's known for? He looked comfortable all preseason, the best QB on the roster during preseason at that. Then he comes out for the end of a drive and throws a screen and a check down. Makes you think if something's now going on behind the scenes.

Really hope the CS isn't just winging it and they have a plan.

RochesterJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

What concerns me about Petty: I know injuries can be a fluke sometime, but I saw the preseason hit that injured him (separated shoulder?) and it did not seem devastating. I wonder if he is brittle.

12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I'm ready to see Petty and/or Hack. My guess is that we won't see them until we lose two more games as Bowles and Mac are fighting for their jobs.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

No offense Cman, but you didn't read this in May?

This is one of the articles that got me sold on Hack.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We run a spread offense with pro style concepts. Fitzpatrick uses pre-snap reads to determine where to throw the ball, but there are plenty of reads outside of that pre-snap set-up. Too many times this season, Jets have had a wide open receiver running down the field. It's cause he doesn't go through any reads but his initial one.

Hack has shown the ability to go through multiple reads in an instance. Add the strong arm to boot and I think he has massive potential.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Good article. It's nice to see that the staff seems to be on the same page, and did some serious due diligence. Hopefully it pays off for all of us.

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Yeah, we've seen some ugly-ass Hack since this link first appeared on this site.

17. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

That first drive was pretty, though. If we can get that guy we'll be all good. The potential is clearly there.

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I was at a game where Tom Tupa led a beautiful drive.

19. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I hope Petty and Hackenberg are both studs and we got a Brees and Rivers type "problem" the Chargers had a while back.

#19 playtowinthegame, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Ralebird and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member