Yankees Acquire Sal Fasano; Looking at Wilson Betemit. 7/26 game thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AMJets, Jul 26, 2006.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/fasano_catches_on_with_bombers_yankees_george_king.htm

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/place_your_betemit_yankees_george_king.htm

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Let's see. Give up one of our most solid pitchers in the pen for a utility guy? Hmmm, NOT.

WTF are the Yanks thinking? Why are we moving backwards? This is exactly the way we suffered through the 80's. Everything is about offense. We don't need offense. We score runs. Who cares if they are from longballs or base hits? Scoring is scoring, but if you don't have solid pitching, you don't win titles. It's a simple formula.

What else do they expect? The corners aren't providing enough pop? Cabrera is exciting, and he is even growing more patient. Guile has been a great surprise. Bernie has been better than he has in years. Crosby has good and bad days, but if he actually played every day he would be more consistent.

And why would they even consider trading Cano? I swear, Mattingly must be cursed. This whole season has been one scary reminder of the mid to late eighties. No worrying about pitching, just big bats. So who is the next Balboni, or Barfield?

3. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I'm in love with Betemit as a player, but trade our best reliever not named Rivera for the pleasure of having the best backup utility man in baseball? I certainly hope not.

Unless Cashman knows something that the media doesn't and Cano's injury is more serious than we think, this deal would probably be his worst as Yankees GM. Imagine the backlash if we lose Game 5 of the ALDS because we had to sene TJ Beam out in the 7th inning...

4. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

If they trade Proctor the way he is pitching right now then Cashman shold have his head examined.

5. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Wow Fasano is one of the worst offensive players in baseball, he is not an upgrade.

Trading Proctor seems shortsighted too.

6. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

So how long now until there's "Sal's Pals" at Yankees Stadium sportin some muttonchops.

7. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

trading proctor would be dumb. however, i would give up farnsworth in a new york minute.

8. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

Why does Sal Fasano have to keep playing for teams that I don't like?

9. GreenMachine

Yankees aquire C Fasano

Hopefully that means no more friggin' Stinnett:breakdance:

PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) - The New York Yankees on Wednesday acquired backup catcher Sal Fasano from the Philadelphia Phillies.

Fasano, 34, had been designated for assignment by the Phillies on July 22. In 50 games, he hit .243 with four home runs and 10 RBI.

Kelly Stinnett is the Yankees' backup to starting catcher Jorge Posada.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Philadelphia received minor league second baseman Hector Made in the deal.

A native of the Dominican Republic, Made, 21, hit .286 with three homers and 28 RBI in 86 games for Class A Clearwater of the Florida State League.

10. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

11. GreenMachine

12. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Buster Olney said the Proctor-for-Betemit rumors are legit, and talks have intensified in recent days. Hopefully the trade happens.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is good or bad. Only time will tell I guess.

Losing Proctor could hurt I would think though.

14. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

The only reason why the Yankees would make a Proctor/Betimet trade is if one of the IF'ers is involved in another trade. *cough *Cough****Cano***Cough
    Either way it would be a rediculous trade for the Yankees to make. That would give Joe one less arm to overuse.

15. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Betemit is a super-sub who could play every position, and would probably end up playing 1B the majority of the time. They could trade either Cano or Betemit in the off-season for a starting pitcher, but adding Betemit and subtracting Cairo and/or Phillips would make a big difference.

There's also a chance right after the trade that Betemit is sent to San Diego for Linebrink.

16. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

That is a deal I would love to see. Linebrink>>Proctor.

17. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

if we trade proctor who holds our bullpen together for betemit who will play 2 weeks until cano comes back. Well we will not make the playoffs.

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Proctor's value will never be higher than it is now, and will never again be able to bring back a player like Betemit, so I'd be willing to take the chance we don't make the playoffs for one season.

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Betemit's a nice player, but he'd be a backup here. I don't have a problem trading Proctor while his value is at its peak, but where will Betemit play in a week or two when Cano gets back?

20. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

He'd be a super-sub, someone who can play 1B, or play one of the other positions to give someone a day off, and he would be a huge boost to the awful bench.