Woody Johnson does NOT Own Johnson and Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MK1, Aug 7, 2013.

1. MK1

MK1 Member

I am getting tired of hearing the media and fans that keep saying Woody Johnson has all this money from owning Johnson and Johnson, when the truth is he has no part of the company. Woody's grandfather fired Woody's dad before Woody ever had a chance to work for the company.

Robert Wood Johnson, his great-grandfather and first namesake, had co-founded the company in 1886. Robert Wood Johnson II, by all accounts a driven and visionary businessman who was nicknamed General Johnson, built it into the world's largest health-care company.

Woody Johnson's father, Robert Wood Johnson III, who was called Bobby, worked for the company from 1941 to 1965, rising to president of domestic operations. At one point, he wrote to the General: "From the time I was three years old I have had but one goal - our Company. I have brought my own boys up in the same atmosphere."

But thunder struck in 1965, when Woody Johnson was 18: His father was fired by his grandfather.

"The General stopped at nothing to take control of the company, and, like many famous men, he thought his own son was worthless," an in-law named Nicholas Rutgers is quoted as saying in the book "Johnson v. Johnson" by Barbara Goldsmith (Knopf 1987). "He used to tell my mother: 'Bobby is nothing. Bobby will amount to nothing.' ''

Johnson's father died of cancer at the age of 50 in 1970. And since his grandfather, General Johnson, had died in 1968, Woody Johnson had no entree to Johnson & Johnson. After college, he returned to Florida to prove his business worth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/11/sports/football/11woody.ready.html?pagewanted=print&position=&_r=0

Here is more proof, Woody Johnsons name is nowhere to be found on the companies profile

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=JNJ+Profile

So can we stop saying Woody Johnson owns JnJ. He does not.

I am not a fan of Woody but I get tired of listening to bad information that is why I am posting this.

#1 MK1, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

his money is from various trusts and inheritances from his family, all of which is jnj money. but he has no say in what goes on there and does not actually deal with any of the business. he just gets paid.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've seen many references that he was the heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune, which is true. Where are you seeing all of these references to him being the company owner?

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

The people own JNJ

Duh

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not to be mean...but who gives a fuck?

He owns the Jets....

And for all the bashing, hes gotten you closer to the Superbowl than youve been in over 40 years,

6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I'm still not buying their products. Or Hess gas.

kidding.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i did know he did not own johnson and johnson, i did not know the circumstances around it.

it makes sense though, woody is a useless and has amounted to nothing on his own... just like his daddy.

how are those tickets selling scumbag? 400 dollars a ticket, fuck you

8. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Its too bad "Mahi-Mahi" isn't really a dolphin.

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

JnJ is publicly traded w/significant shares owned by institutional owners like State Street Corp., Vanguard, Barclays, BONY, JPM, etc etc etc.

Would not be surprised to learn that WJ has a position w/JnJ through family Trusts etc.

But anybody who believes that WJ or any other individual owns JnJ is just not a sophisticated and knowledgable person. and BTW - who cares???

10. abyzmul

I stopped buying Kraft Foods products for 2 years until I took the time to bother finding out that Robert Kraft has nothing to do with that company.

I still have a conditioned reaction of avoidance when I see their stuff on the shelves.

True story.

11. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

delete

/10char

13. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Correct. He owns the Bills.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

14. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

I'm filing this away in the who gives a fuck folder. All of his money IS somehow derived from the J and J throne. And it's not that off the wall that people would assume that he owns a company when his exact name is plastered all over a hospital connected to J and J.

15. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Well on the other hand you gotta believe there are some Pats fans out there who are buying up a lot of Kraft cheese to show their diehard support for the team.

Myself, all I can do to show my support is a room dedicated to Gloria Estefan and Fergie.

16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

So, do you think if Dolan had bought the Jets that we would have our own stadium?

17. abyzmul

Do they own a share of stock in Vaseline, too?

18. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Nope, just fishsticks.

19. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

Absolutely, 100%. If not on the West Side, then on Long Island somewhere.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Hate him all you want. He is the only family member to sit on the board of the Robert Wood Johnson foundation and they give away a billion dollars a year to various charities.