Why Jets should go Mangold at #29

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by J-E-T-S Fan 2006, Mar 30, 2006.

1. J-E-T-S Fan 2006

J-E-T-S Fan 2006 New Member

Besides the fact that we need a starting C, it makes more sense to go Mangold at #29 and Best Available player at #35. We know the Steelers and Saints both need centers, so it is doubtful Mangold makes it to #35. Unless the front office loves Eslinger and thinks he'll last until the 3rd round, you have to take Mangold then at #29; the dropoff at C in the draft after Mangold and Eslinger is considerable.

Furthermore, assuming the Jets want to go at OLB, RB, OT or WR in the 2nd, there will definitely be a great player available at #35 at one of those spots because there is considerable depth in the draft at all of those positions:

OLB: Hawk will go early, but after him, who knows how it will shake out for Greenway, Sims, Lawson, Carpenter, Wimbley and Howard. Of all the positions we need, this seems deepest in the draft. At least one of those 6 will be there, and more likely 2 or 3 of them might be there.

RB: This is the only reason I might stray from Mangold at #29. If one of White, Williams or Maroney fell to #29, it would be very tempting to snatch him there. While unlikely, it is certainly possible. I still would resist; if RB is that big of a concern for the team, Addai will likely be there at #35.

OT: Obviously Ferguson and Justice will be gone. But there are still several solid OT that might be around at #35, including McNeill (doubtful), Winston or Scott.

WR: No one seems to know how WR will end up. Holmes, Jackson and Moss are the consensus top 3, but where? Mid-first? Late 1st? I could see at least 1 of them dropping until #35.

I have no idea what we'll do at #4, whether we go Cutler, Young, Fergusson, Hawk or Williams. I would not trade up for Leinart though; there is too much value at #29 or #35 to give up either of those picks. Assuming we do not go with defense, though, I would take Mangold at #29 and the best OLB available at #35.

Thoughts?

#1 J-E-T-S Fan 2006, Mar 30, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

I like Mangold at 29. I do believe depending on what Jacksonville does in Free Agency, they may take him one spot before us.

3. 1028

1028 Active Member

I really dont think youll find too much debate towards taking Mangold at 29. The only real debate is whether or not Jax will take him

4. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Down here there is talk that if there isnt a T(McNeil) available for the Bucs that they will pick Mangold.
    If they do, then we will have to grab Eslinger later on.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Depends what else is available. At 29 we take BPA between OL, RB, and OLB. I would probably prefer Eslinger in the third.

6. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

I want Mangold at 29 and I agree that he might not make it due to the Jags, and definetly won't make it to the second round with the Texans and Saints before us. However if he is taken by the Jags I go a head and fire right back with Manny Lawson.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

There will be a lot of talent at # 29 that won't get to # 35.

Gilles and Cromartie are more valuable than Mangold IMHO.

Also, if Eric Winston is there at # 29 I wouldn't pass him up.

Don't forget that every year players expected to go top 20 drop to # 29 or even further.

8. FITM

Come to think of it though, Eslinger really wouldn't be bad in the 3rd. Centers aren't usually taken in the 1st round, so I can see us passing on Mangold unless he is available at 35 somehow.

9. Watch out for Mike Degory. I know we were looking at him alot during the combine and he seems to fit the bill of a Pats type player. He could be had in the 3rd or 4th round.

10. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I hope the Jags some how go running back in the first round. Mangold is going to be a great NFL center, and besides the fact we need a center.

11. JetTerp

JetTerp Member

He will be gone by 29. I would love to have him, but I just do not seem him falling past Jax.

12. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Man,

It seems like threads just keep getting rehashed day after day ... I just posted basically the same thread yesterday (that was probably the 20th rehash -- I have no idea), and then whammy, you come here today and it's the same thing getting posted again.

Anyway, everyone keeps saying how high the jets are on norm katnik -- so take that for what it is -- and I've also heard a lot of positive buzz about isaac snell who's playing in nfl europe right now. There could be a player at 29 that no one thought would wind up there -- remember aaron rodgers last year? I think finding someone you targeted fall to 29 will outweigh your desire to fill a need position so early in the draft.

That said, it seems like the Jets are filling every need that they have through FA, except the o line. So you have to figure that they're going to go o line in the draft.

13. baamf

baamf Active Member

Interesting, I thought he would project more to guard in the NFL. I didn't hear we were checking him out, not a bad player....

14. J-E-T-S Fan 2006

J-E-T-S Fan 2006 New Member

First off, bud, I did not see your post. Second off, your post was about who would be the Jets C. Mine was a draft strategy on who to pick with the 29th pick based on an in-depth analysis on the positions we need most for the team and consequently the players at those positions that would most likely still be available at #35. Besides saying I think they should take Mangold at 29, my post had nothing in common with your post. Maybe that was a bit too over your head (perhaps you see "Mangold" and can't really focus on reading the rest of the post), but lighten up and skip the damn post then.

I for one was appreciating some of the other responses to it.

15. FITM

They will go LB before RB.

16. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

i like mangold at 29 as long as they don't go O-line with the 4th pick. I want a defensive player at 4 because we are going to need all the help we can get trying to stop people next year. We all pretty much know how the O is going to look next year so IMO we have to go D with the 4th.

17. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

How can it not be Mangold at 29? Kendall, though he has said he'll move to center, obviously is better at his natural position of G and he should stay there, so we can draft a far better center in Mangold and get the trademark center of the future.
    OLB should then be the pick at 35, if not OT. Though getting a dynamite explosive WR wouldn't be horrible, either.

18. camp80

camp80 New Member

Who cares what he says --- good post with good answers
    How much better is Mangold than Eslinger? I havent seen Eslinger play much. Is Mangold that much better that we should take him instead of filling another need at 29 and take Eslinger in the 3rd?

19. smittyf350

smittyf350 Member

if we trade down from #4 then i'd say get mangold with 29. the reason i say this is if we trade down within the top 15 we should get another 2nd rounder. that way could pick up a OT like winston with 35 and a pass rushing LB like lawson later in the 2nd round. and with our higher first rounder pick williams or white. trading down is the smartest bet. we could get a RB, C, OT, and OLB with our first four picks. who the hell wouldn't want that?

20. CmartinHOF

CmartinHOF New Member

if mangold is there at 29 and we dont take him i will FLIP out