Why is suggesting Tebow Sacrilege?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by RMorin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. RMorin

RMorin Member

Look at the stats:

Although Sanchez has a higher completion percentage (47% vs 54%) Sanchez is at 49% through 4 games this year. That is about it in terms of statistical advantage for Sanchez.

Tebow has a higher yards per pass attempt (6.4 career Sanchez, 6.8 career Tebow)
    Tebow has a lower interception percentage (3.6% career Sanchez, 2.5% career Tebow)
    Tebow has a higher touchdown percentage (3.9% career Sanchez, 4.8% career Tebow)
    Tebow has a higher yards per completion (11.9 career Sanchez, 14.2 Tebow)
    Tebow has a higher rushing yards per attempt (3.1 career for Sanchez, 5.3 for Tebow)

People don't get Tebow. He will mess up passes, likely even more than Sanchez but the difference is his positive plays make up for the inaccuracy.

Why are people blind to stats? Is it because a weird Stephen A. Smith inspired anti-Tebow-backlash from the media? If you replaced Tebow with Shane Falco and had similar stats as those above would you be feeling any different? I truly do not get it. I'm not a bandwagon Tebow person, been a Jets STH for years and after hearing everyone call for the second string QB all the years I am genuinely curious why it has stopped this season?

2. AK-JETS4Life

AK-JETS4Life Active Member

Wrong forum category. Stop posting it here for attention.

3. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Double post

#3 CowboysFan, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  4. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Mods move?

5. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Yes quick before anyone reads it!

6. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Honestly don't see how this is "Tebowmania". It's a legitimate question regarding the team. This isn't Article #7290 about Tebow changing his dog's name. But whatever, guess you have to go to a subforum for fanboys to have a serious discussion about the alternative at QB.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

As shitty as Sanchez has been he should be given the chance to turn things around. But if we make a change at QB it should be McElroy getting the start.

8. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, McElroy. Why ? Because he's not Tebow.

The ignorance around here is freaking amazing.

9. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

You do realize that wasn't his question ?

10. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I wish they would let Tebow throw at least, expand on the wildcat a little bit.

11. RMorin

RMorin Member

Sorry, didn't know a well thought out and researched question about a position battle didn't belong on this forum? Seriously, what the hell is going going on in Jets-Land? We can not even have intelligent discussion about an underperforming player?

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

McElroy can throw better than Tebow therefore if we have to make a change at QB I'd rather they put the guy in the game than can throw. That's basically my point.

Im well aware of that. So my answer is basically saying that if the Jets make a change then it should be McElroy getting a shot.

Tebow can't play the QB position effectively at a consistent level.

13. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll let this thread slide because if Sanchez can't even complete 50% of his passes he has every right to feel the heat from Tebow and the media

14. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

If Tebow becomes the starter at some point, does the Tebowmania forum close or will Tebow related-posting be allowed in the main forum? Just curious.

15. Mason

Mason New Member

Feel the heat from another guy who can't even complete 50% of his passes?

16. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Read the OP. Quarterback A is supposedly an accurate, traditional pocket passer. That is his advantage over Quarterback B. Quarterback B throws for more yards per attempt, more yards per completion, lower % of INTs, higher % of TDs, and he is a vastly superior running threat. Quarterback B also was able to quarterback a mediocre team to the playoffs and win a game just last season. For this season, Quarterback A is 2% more accurate than Quarterback B was last year. The question is, at what point is the sacrifice in accuracy well worth the big play threat, ball security, and rushing ability of Quarterback B? Personally, I'd say when the sacrifice is 2% completion rate, that's a pretty good time.

For some reason things get so messy when the name Tebow is inserted into it all. If Tebow were the same player with the same season last year but his name was John Skelton, I just don't think there'd be any resistance to benching Sanchez after three straight performances off the pu pu platter.

17. Ryan76

Ryan76 New Member

I haven't seen a lot of McElroy, but from what I've seen.. He never looks past his primary. If first option isn't open everything goes downhill. Great arm though. I'm not sure if it's just more time he needs or what.

I'm amazed at what the eagles do. Their draft pick now number 2 qb, Foles is very pro. He gets right back, and begins to go through progression and then fires. Very video game like, aron rodgers esk. Not saying Foles will ever pan out, but I wish I saw that in McElroy.

18. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

My personal opinion is that in the short run, we're better off going with a non-traditional playmaker at QB that can cause confusion and mask some of our traditional deficiencies than we would be trotting out the 25th best traditional passer with an utter lack of traditional offensive weapons. At least if we're going to be bad, let's be bad in a unique way that might cause problems for the opposition.

19. Mason

Mason New Member

I'm pretty sure there would. His name doesn't matter, he's just isn't QB in this league. If we're benching Sanchez and essentially giving up on him and admitting failure, it better damn well be for a QB that can actually throw the ball.

#19 Mason, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  20. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Why? Sanchez doesn't have some track record that requires a high quality QB to replace him. If Kyle Orton were on the bench, I'd say put Orton in. Tebow outplayed Orton pretty drastically last season, so what's the difference?

Sanchez needs to be benched because Sanchez stinks. He's completing 49% for the season and 44% over the past 3 weeks. He's self-destructing. The fact that we have a back-up that won a playoff game last year is only slightly relevant. It's not about Tebow, it's about Sanchez.