Why did the Jets trade Santana Moss?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by falcons365, May 5, 2006.

1. falcons365

falcons365 New Member

I still cant get my head around it. Coles is a solid player, but he is no Santana Moss. Moss can score from anywhere on the football field. He is a playmaker.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

and Coles is a better, TOUGHER receiver.

3. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

This is true, but at the time he was not the correct receiver for our style offense. Pennington needed a type of receiver that was more of a possession (coles) than a speedster (moss). Don't think though that because Moss put up the numbers he did in Washington means he would have here. In washington they had a quarterback that could throw the long ball, they had a coordinator that called plays to their receivers strengths (ie wr screens/ hackett you suck balls) and had a solid running game and other options (chris cooley mainly). The jets offense just plain sucked and there is not a chance Moss would have even close to the amount of success here.

It's funny because we mainly traded because of the chemistry with coles and pennington and now it may not even matter because penny's career is almost surely over. Even at the time I was like you and was skeptical to make the trade, but I wasn't complaining either. This was one of those rare cases where it was a player for player trade and by chance we just got the wrong end of it.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I thought it was a pretty even trade at the time. If Moss was on our team last year he wouldn't have had nearly as good of a season. He was a better fit for the Skins, and I thought Coles was a better fit for our team.

Do you remember Moss dropping balls that hit him in the hands during the playoffs the season before we traded him? I do, and I also think Coles would have caught them. One of which would have given us another TD in the Steelers playoff game. :-/

Unfortunately our offense was so awful last season Coles didn't really get a chance to shine.

5. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

That meant absolutely nothing one year ago in March. He wasn't tough at all over the course of the season, plus, we didn't have a QB that could play to his strengths. Coles fit in perfectly with the design of the offense of that season, and the years past.

6. e-x

e-x New Member

moss is a nice down field threat, which is pointless since we don't have a downfield offense or quarterback

coles is the complete #1 reciever

7. lightning

lightning Active Member

umm, last year coles was the better reciever when we made the trade

8. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

We traded Moss because we lost Coles because Herm & Terry wouldn't talk to Coles when he was feeling unappreciated which allowed Snyder to slime his way into Coles' head and spirit him away.

Had Bradway taken care of business at the right times, and Edwards chosen to stay in touch with his team, we might've had a better shot at keeping Coles, Moss, Jordan, McKenzie, Thomas, and Abraham for an affordable price.

Finally, because of the way they allowed our offensive and defensive lines to atrophy, we did not have the luxury of pursuing a Reggie Bush or grabbing an A.J. Hawk in this draft.

Thankfully those day's over.

9. falcons365

falcons365 New Member

The Redskins got one up on the Jets. You cant teach speed. Possesion WR's are a dime a dozen. You can pick them up late on day one and on day 2 of the draft.

10. Buttle

Buttle New Member

They traded Moss simply because he could not catch the football. Call it physcoligical, loss of confidence or compensating for injuries or whatever but he lost confidence in himself, his teamates had lost confidence him and so had the CS. He was not a dependable WR. The best thing for Moss and the Jets was to move on and get a fresh start. It looks like both the Jets and Moss benefited greatly by the trade, The Jets got a much better WR than the one they had and Moss got a fresh start and new confidence.

11. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

Just stop it already!!!

12. hammer

hammer New Member

Aren't you the same guy who asked "Why did we let Coles go"

13. falcons365

falcons365 New Member

Even I could see Moss had a higher upside than Coles.

14. falcons365

falcons365 New Member

No. I would have took a first round draft pick in a heart beat. In 13 years that was the first and last time a team gave up a fist round draft pick for a RFA.

15. lightning

lightning Active Member

well at this point we still thought pennington was our franchise QB, therefore we went and got a guy that is perfect for him and has chemistry with him...yes it was a mistake

16. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Moss also wanted big Money... and we didn't have anyone on the roster to get the ball to him using his stregnth...speed.

Ellis

17. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

You are looking at this trade with Moss coming off a career year and Coles coming off a year where he had no d qb... If you analyzed this trade a few go you would have looked at it the other way around. It is hard to judge a trade like this after 1 year.

18. The Book 24

The Book 24 Banned

With all of the Qb problems we had Coles had a good season. If Moss was in our offense last year, he would of had half of his stats. Moss just did not fit in our offense.

19. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Moss spent 4 years here and was woefully inconsistent with Chad. Coles had great chemistry with Chad. He was available and Moss was asking for a huge new contract. Who do you think the FO would have felt more comfortable giving big money to? Moss? I haven't looked back on many of Bradway's moves and agreed with them, but even after the numbers Moss put up last year, I still agree with this trade.

20. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I still think it was a fair trade. I didn't look it up, but I"m willing to bet Coles had almost as many catches as Moss did. Obviously his TD's and YPC were much lower, but Coles did exceptional on a losing team with horrible offensive players. Moss wouldn't have done half of what he did. I still think it was a fair trade to this day. Coles has had more than 1 breakout season, let's see Moss do it again.