Who to replace Schott (if he leaves)?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Lord, Jan 14, 2007.

1. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

I read somewhere that we have a short list of guys to replace Schottenheimer if he indeed takes the Miami head coaching job...all guys who know the Jet west-coast offense.

Who would that be?

2. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1168753045177390.xml&coll=1

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who instituted an innovative offense, is among the finalists for the Dolphins head-coaching job. He will fly to Miami for a second interview on Tuesday, a league official told The Star-Ledger yesterday.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the interview process.

Schottenheimer, who interviewed with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, chief executive officer Joe Bailey and president Bryan Wiedmeier last Wednesday aboard Huizenga's private jet, will fly to Miami this time.

Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller is expected to lead the interview. Wednesday's first interview was mostly a get-to-know-you session. On Tuesday, they'll talk football and philosophy.

Schottenheimer, 33, was an offensive coordinator for the first time in his career this season and was impressive, quickly becoming a hot head-coaching candidate during a time when it's in vogue to hire a young head coach.

Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, 34, is also said to have had a strong first interview and may be invited back. Former Rams coach Mike Martz also interviewed for the post.

Overall, the Dolphins interviewed 12 candidates, including former Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis and USC head coach Pete Carroll, who has said he'll stay in Southern California.

This weekend, the Dolphins are expected to trim the list to five and begin a second round of interviews next week.

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said the club already has a short list of possible replacements for Schottenheimer should he leave. If the Jets stay in-house, running backs coach Jimmy Raye -- who has worked as an offensive coordinator during his 29 seasons in the league -- could be a candidate.

If the Jets go outside, look for them to consider someone off the staff of the Chiefs, Chargers or Rams, who run offenses similar to the Jets. Rams quarterback coach Doug Nussmeier, 36, has extensive experience in the offense and could be a leading candidate.

Note: Jets DB coach Corwin Brown is expected to be named the new defensive coordinator at Notre Dame. He coached with Irish coach Charlie Weis in New England.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Some info on Doug Nussmeier

http://www.stlouisrams.com/Team/Coaches/53043/

Coaching Highlights:Nussmeier joins the Rams after three seasons as the quarterbacks coach at Michigan State. After a five-year NFL playing career, Nussmeier will enter his first season as a coach in the NFL in 2006.
    In 2005, Nussmeier tutored Drew Stanton, who accounted for a Spartan single-season record 3,415 total yards. Stanton also became only the second quarterback in school history to reach the 3,000-yard passing milestone in a season, following current Rams’ QB Jeff Smoker. In 2004, Stanton produced 2,288 total yards and 13 TDs, finishing third on the team in rushing with 687 yards on 96 carries and five TDs. His 687 yards represent the second-best single-season rushing total by a quarterback in Spartan history.

Under Nussmeier in 2003, Smoker earned second-team all-Big 10 honors and led the league in passing (261.2 yards per game). Smoker’s 2003 season is the best in Spartans’ history, as he completed 302 of his 488 attempts for 3,395 yards and 21 touchdowns, all single-season school records. Smoker became the first Michigan State quarterback to be drafted since 1996 when the Rams also selected Tony Banks.

In 2002, Nussmeier served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the expansion Ottawa Renegades of the Canadian Football League. Ottawa ranked seventh in the CFL in passing offense, averaging 221.0 yards per game, with quarterback Dan Crowley throwing for 2,513 yards and 16 touchdowns. Nussmeier made his coaching debut in 2001 as the quarterbacks coach for the CFL’s British Columbia Lions. The Lions finished third in the CFL in total offense (357.8 yards per game) and fifth in passing offense (246.1 yards).

Nussmeier finished his professional playing career with the Lions in the CFL in 2000, helping the club to the Grey Cup Championship. Originally a fourth-round selection (116th overall) by the New Orleans Saints in the 1994 NFL Draft, Nussmeier played five years in the NFL, including four with the Saints (1994-97) and one with the Indianapolis Colts (1998).

Nussmeier, who was tutored at Idaho by Rams head coach Scott Linehan when he was the Vandals’ quarterbacks coach, still ranks among the NCAA Division I-AA all-time leaders in passing (ninth with 10,824 career yards) and total offense (10th at 309.1 yards per game). He is one of only three quarterbacks in NCAA history to throw for at least 10,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards (1,230), joining Alcorn State's Steve McNair (1991-94) and Central Florida's Daunte Culpepper (1996-98). Nussmeier set Vandal career records for passing yards, TD passes (91), passing efficiency (175.2), completion percentage (.609, 746-1,225), and total offense (12,054 yards; 308.4 yards per game).

In 1993, Nussmeier won the Walter Payton Award, presented annually to the Division I-AA player of the year, leading the Vandals to an 11-3 record. He set a school-record with 33 touchdowns that season, and his 172.2 passer rating ranks as the seventh-best single-season mark in Division I-AA history.

Nussmeier, a native of Lake Oswego, OR, is married to Christi with a son, Garrett, and a daughter, Ashlynn.

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Didn't KC just fire their QB coach - a possible candidate?

5. wonderboy24

wonderboy24 Member

What about SD tight ends coach Rob Chidinski?(SP?) he was on OC at U Miami and worked for a couple of years in SD

6. ChadisGoldenBoy

ChadisGoldenBoy New Member

Although I would absolutely dread the fact that we could lose Schott after only year

I am again impressed by the general direction of Tangini. It proves that Tannenbaum and Mangini are looking for young innovative coaches. They are not afraid of coaching talent, regardless of age, and I think this is incredible for the future. Keeping in mind that if Mangini is as good as Curtis Martin said then he will have a coaching tree after a few years.

Their apparent brilliance aside, losing Schott, would throw a huge question mark into next year's offense. What he did as a first year OC to me, was something I had never seen...he was so innovative, his motion groups were crisp, and it just seemed to be the offense that Pennington, Coles and Cotchery to play in. I don't think he will be the new Miami HC (too young, 1 year away), but I hope they pick Chan Gailey who isn't in the same level as a young Schott. Gailey is an average HC, he has had a nice PROGRAM at G-Tech, but I still doubt his game management and overall coaching ability.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd still really like to see Jeremy Bates and Chad work together for a full season and Clemens get a chance to stand behind them looking at the clipboard.

8. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

Would Mike Martz be a good fit ?

9. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Nobody has suggested Hackett yet?

10. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

Belive it or not, he might go to the Packers to be the OC over there.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd love it if they picked Gailey. Nothing like having Dave Wannstedt the second follow Saban.

I think Schottenheimer is also an iffy pick for them, but mainly because I think he is much more unseasoned than Mangini was and he does not have a Tannenbaum to work with. They might well be training somebody else's good HC 5 years down the road if go for him.

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Don Capers is there to lean on. Very solid HC who knows how to run the D by himself. Perfect learning situation with an owner who knows he needs to rebuild, not reload and is willing to pay through the nose to do it.

13. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

in my opinion, if we get a new o. co. then clemens will be given an even better chance to start.

i heard that the list is made up of coaches who ran the same offense as schott. i dont think jimmy raye would do too good.

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Jeremy Bates has moved up in the world since quitting as GBs Davis Cup captain.

15. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

The guy who I always think should get an OC job is Jim Zorn, the QB coach for Seattle. Also, we could look at Russ Grimm who could be unemployed if he doesn't get the Pittsburgh job.

16. wonderboy24

wonderboy24 Member

I think grimm will get the Pitt jon with whisenhunt going to Arizona

17. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

I just can't see him leaving.

18. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

...to become a head coach??

19. ChadisGoldenBoy

ChadisGoldenBoy New Member

Re-signing Capers was the scary thing, because now they might now necessarily need the older coach, and he will capable of helping Schott as he learns the ropes.

20. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Pretty much.