When will Jet fans turn on Idzik, Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rajensen088, Apr 30, 2013.

1. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

The Jets may have the toughest schedule of any NFL team in the first half. Two games v the Patriots and games v the Falcons, Steelers, Bengals and Saints. The competative games are against the Bills, Titans and Bucs.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/schedule/season-schedule.html

If Geno Smith, who predicted playoffs for the Jets, is the starter day one will Idzic or Smith bare the brunt of the blame for being out of the playoffs by mid season, or do you beleve the Jets will still be in contention by midseason..

2. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

I know a lot of fans look at this season with a more positive outlook than I do so I can't speak for everyone, but I look at this season as a wash. I'm not expecting playoffs and not really focused on wins. I know it's a team game and I shouldn't look at it this way but I really believe this a huge year for some individuals. We have a lot of question marks on our team and a lot of players that have huge potential. I'd love to see this guys show progress and give us more confidence for 2014.

3. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

If you're expecting better than 7 wins this year you're basically clueless. I look at this year like a rebuilding year and expect very little from everyone to be honest. The mess Rex and Tanny made of this team isn't going to take three months for Idzik to fix, he is also beholden to a lame duck coach. I'll give Idzik three years when Rex is fired to build a winner with his coach and total control. Geno just has to show potential, he doesn't have to set the world on fire. Sanchez set the bar so low for QB play here, that Geno really has nowhere to go but up.

There is a difference to this year and years past, we went to the AFCCG two years in a row, and the team blustered of SB, there were expectations that weren't met, and the team was a huge embarrassment all around. This year we know the deal, we'll stink.

#3 dr.velociraptor, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

This is clearly a rebuilding year, team could go 8-8 or maybe 9-8. But more realistically it's probably between a 4-7 win team this year.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I predict Jets fans will turn on John Idzik and Geno Smith right about the same time rajensen088 becomes a green-glasses homer.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If we are 5+ years in and the Jets still aren't a playoff team and the players he selected are busts.

For Geno if he sucks worse or on par with Sanchez.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This team won six games with a 30th ranked offense they will contend again if Sanchez starts. If Geno starts a five win season at best but I just do not see him learning the playbook and fixing the problems he had to make him drop to the second rd quick enough to start.

Geno will struggle year 1 which is why he should not play and why he was drafted in the second round. Grow this kid let him sit like we did Pennington.

8. Br4d

Geno's actually got a pretty sweet thing going coming in the door. All he has to do over the next few years is complete 60% of his passes for 7 yards a pop and not throw a ton of interceptions and he's going to look like the second coming to Jets fans.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There are a handful of moronic fans that will turn on Geno and Idzik midseason, and they are the same group of morons who turned on Idzik after the 13th pick in the draft and said "they are done" when Geno officially became a Jet.

Plenty have said it, but I'll say it again. This is the first year of what is probably a three year rebuilding plan. If you bail on the team midway through year one? Well, I won't miss you, because that means you're a fool and you don't understand football.

10. TheGreenCantona

they will turn on Geno midseason IF he playes. Therefore they shouldn't start him until it is clear where the Jets are going this season, thereby postponing the pressure until next season. hopefully then with a few more weapons and 4-5 gamers under his belt.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he'll do that and not win playoff games and idiotic Jet fans will tell us how much better he is. The game is about wins and losses not QB ratings.

12. TheGreenCantona

agree, the game is about that, not necessarily QB assessment though.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

raj already turned on Idzik and Geno. But he's not a Jet fan.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Uh... if that's what Geno did for the next two years, he WOULD be much better than Sanchez. No crap it's about wins and losses but if he's completing 60% of his passes and not turning the ball over, it would be hard to say it's his fault. This is obviously all hypothetical but you're letting your love for Sanchez cloud your judgement here.

15. NFL

NFL Active Member

They'll turn on Geno when he loses in the Super Bowl at our own stadium.

16. NFL

NFL Active Member

I agree with you on many things, but if he's completing 60% of his passes, and isn't throwing interceptions all game, then this team is easily in the playoffs. Count how many games Mark lost for us last year because of his interceptions or fumbles and you'll get 10. 1 because he didn't play.

17. Br4d

Mark Sanchez never won a playoff game without a top defense and running game.

Jets rushed for 171, 169, 169 and 120 in the 4 wins. They gave up 65 pts and 7 TD's in the 4 games. If Geno Smith gets support like that he'll be winning playoff games also.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Bullshit. How many NFL QBS beat Sanchez to 30 wins?

Did mark allow a 12 minute drive to the Dolphins, to lose.

Did Mark miss contain, on Tebow to lose with the playoffs on the line

Did Mark allow the steelers to keep the ball by getting first downs with 3 minutes left after coming back from 24-0 , to not go to the Superbowl?

The defense has fucked them over at key spots, more than Sanchez has.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Top rated defense.

One that comes up small in big spots. See above.

sanchez otoh, is a low rated QB, that comes up big in big spots.

Not worth arguing over, as Sanchez is under center in September, and it will rightfully play itself out on the field.

I cant help but shake my head over the Smith supporters that are desperate to cut Sanchez. Is asking Smith to beat him on the field too much, is Mark too good for Geno to handle without getting the gift?

We are paying Sanchez over 8 mil, he isnt going anywhere, especially not to accelerate a minimal cap charge from next year into this.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you sound like one of the average fans, I know you know the game better than that. You still need quality QB play to win and Sanchez was excellent in each of those games. The one game where the run game helped us the most was at Indy, in Cincy and SD Greene broke a couple of long runs but we weren't running the ball well all game and in the NE game Greene broke one late w/ us running out the clock.

Plenty of QBs have had top Ds and run games and haven't won like that. You need quality QB play.