What do you guys think of the AFC East now?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by xeticus, Apr 26, 2009.

1. xeticus

xeticus Member

Just writing you guys from sultry South Florida. What do you guys think of how our division did in this draft. I like the Sanchez pick for the Jets. I think you guys paid a high price but you got your guys. What do you guys think of how my Dolphins did? What do you think of the Patriots draft? (spit) And what do you think that afterthought team upstate?

2. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

I think the AFC East is beginning to shape up as one the the best divisions in football....great drafts for all 4 teams...

3. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I think the key to the wildcat is that Ronnie Brown is left handed. Players usually run better to the side of their dominant hand and always throw better while running to that side. So in that formation they are threat to run and pass going to the left or right and Ronnie can also take it up the middle. They are a threat to pass going right because Ricky Williams can pitch the ball to Penny if the play starts out as a run to the right. Its a play that gives the defense 5 things to defend against on every snap. But if Ronnie was right handed there would be at most 4 things to worry about. So I like the Pat White pick because he's left handed. They can show the wildcat and then shift out of that and stuff, it gives them a lot of flexibility.

4. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

1.pats
    2.Dolphins
    3.Jets
    4.Bills

5. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

The Bills got good value early, but didn't address their biggest need, keeping Edwards out of the hospital.....

Jets got better, Pats got value, Dolphins did pretty good...

I see the Bills being the weak sister for awhile.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

And the wildcat isn't obvious. You have to adjust defensively at the line. If they put White in, the defense will have a clue ahead of time.

BTW, I think the wildcat has a short shelf life. You aren't gonna fool the pro's for long. Toward the end of the year, the Dolphins were much less successful with it.

7. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Pats
    Jets
    Dolphins
    Bills

Pats and Jets will be the only two teams with a healthy, effective quarterback at the end of the season.

Bills brass just did not understand what they were doing this weekend. Terrell Owens is on your team. When Terrell Owens had proven, Pro-Bowl quarterbacks throwing him the ball behind phenomenal offensive lines in Philly and Dallas, he still had a problem.

They had a shot at Oher. They balked in favor of defense. They have no left tackle.

There is going to be a media frenzy in Buffalo this year (which I guess was the desired effect). Getcha popcorn ready.

8. JCotchrocket

I hate all this "the Wildcat is a fluke" nonsense. When you come up with a gameplan to beat the Patriots in their own house, and it works PERFECTLY, it is not a fluke.

9. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Bingo.

I think the AFCE had a fantastic draft, and we're definitely the class of the AFC

10. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Miami's problems at WR are well known. Pat White is considered a potential WR and Smith started his college career as a WR. I wonder if we will see them both at that position. Smith is a 6'3'' burner, might do some damage on offense.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think it was a good draft for you guys. I wish we still had Parcells. Those were some fun times.

12. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

Yea towards the end of the draft the bills started to stockpile DBs....wierd lol

13. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

It worked the first time because it was unexpected. In Miami the 2nd time around it was ineffective.

14. xeticus

xeticus Member

My fellow fins fans are really divided on the draft. A lot of them wanted Clint Sintim or Connor Barwin at 44 where we picked Pat White. We passed on a lot of good defenders in a draft loaded with them.

The good news for my 'Phins is that we reloaded the heck out of the offense. We currently have 4 QB's who can play. Chad Penningon as starter and we currently have 3 2nd round picks at QB. Chad Henne, Pat White and John Beck. And Pat White will probably be used as an all around offensive player. Our GM has already said he'll be used as a QB and that he'll be competing at the QB slot. He'll probably be used more like a Kordell Stewart or Michael Vick kind of QB where he can be a dual threat at run and passing.

And we have a ton of WR's now. More than we can carry on the roster. We've got 3 big red zone targets at Brandon London, Patrick Turner and Brian Hartline.

I think the Dolphins will definitely be running more trick plays and scoring in the end zone.

With the Jets getting Sanchez and Shonne Green and the Dolphins making their moves a lot of offensive firepower moved into the division. I think the AFC East is up for grabs. I think the Dolphins have a shot at repeating as AFCE champions. Likewise I think the Jets have a good shot at claiming the title. A lot of people are going to assume that New England is going take the division and I'm not seeing it as a given.

15. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

I think the conference goes through NE again. They're just that much better than the rest of the East. With a healthy Brady, Taylor/Maroney in the backfield, Moss/Welker at WR... The offense is going to be disgusting.

The Bills, Jets, and Dolphins are going to beat up on each other, it's going to be interesting because all 4 teams are going to be competitive again. I can't wait.

16. JCotchrocket

???

You make it sound like they ran it twice. They used the Wildcat all year on the way to their division title.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

our Brad Smith??

18. ........

........ Trolls

And it lost its efficacy as the season wore on. It was never as successful as it was in that first game. For the record, most of the success out of the wildcat after that first Pats game came from Ricky Williams.

The Wildcat isn't a fluke, it's a fad. Fad and gimmick offenses come and go because teams overdo it. You very well may see the Wildcat used periodically (and somewhat rarely) in the future, but as a serious and consistent threat, it has a shelf life of another season at best.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't see how we paid a high price, unless you're talking about Sanchez' potential contract. We gave up a 2nd round pick, 2 JAGs and a 3rd string QB. As far as that trade goes, the Jets raped ManKOK.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I agree. I was just talking about that with a friend of mine who is a Giants fan.
    Both the AFC & NFC east are probably the toughest divisions in the NFL.