Well, atleast we got Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boogerstyles, Nov 22, 2007.

1. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

Besides that touchdown pass, which was a very good throw by Romo, Revis kept arguably the best reciever in the league in check. I counted, 2 out of 6 (1/3) of TO's receptions were when he wasn't being covered by Revis. TO even went over a shook Revis' hand after the game, and it didn't look like he was trashtalking.

Also, David Harris was all over the field. I know, we just embarrased ourselves on national TV, on thanksgiving, but hey... I'm a glass half full type of guy.

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Totally. Nothing Revis could have done about that TD. The cowboys tried to pick on him early on and gave up. Props to Revis.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This game could have been a lot worse. Romo missed a few shots and the score could have been even uglier.

Harris is the man though...he's playing at the same level game in and game out.

4. gustoonarmy

another good shout. How many tackles did he have for neg yards today? Today I was really impressed by his east/west speed , I thought primarily he was just a run stuffer....wrong.

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea the guy covers a lot of ground. He seems to be all over the place and most of the time if he gets a hold of someone there going down. He's not dropping guys 6-7 yards down field either...he actually makes plays and stops a 2-3 yard carry from turning into something more.

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Harris and Revis look like two pretty good draft choices now don't they. But let's see where they are a few years from now. So far so good. One thing I like about Revis is he is physical and does not shy from contact. I agree with gustoon, I thought there were questions about Harris' speed, that being the reason they wanted him as a ILB. But I remember seeing him out in coverage making tackles all over the field.

7. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

I agree with everything, the D still needs work, but Revis, Harris and Rhodes are a good foundation.

Just need to work on both lines.

8. gustoonarmy

There was one play , Barber I think on a sweep and he only had fingers on him , but still managed to haul him down.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Harris had a decent game, he also got isoed really bad by a fullback on a couple run plays. It was one thing when he was getting blown up by guards, but not a fullback. He needs to work better at hitting the line of scrimmage. He does a good job coming up, but kind of stops when he gets there.

10. gustoonarmy

That what he did alot at Michigan too.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

He has to get better at it IMO. He makes a lot of stops at the line of scrimmage and is a very good tackle in space. He'd be a true impact linebacker if he could make those same plays penetrating though.

12. Beamen

Beamen New Member

He plays how you're taught to play linebacker... He gets to, or 1 yard beyond the LOS, and breaks down to make a play... That's why you never see him overrunning plays....

It may take away from his number of dynamic highlight reel tackles, but it also ensures that he rarely overruns a play and allows a RB to cutback for a big gain....

That is EXACTLY what LBs are coached to do...

13. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

You can keep Revis.

They had NO NEED to throw to TO. They ran.. Harris was prety good.. Revis.. why whenever I hear his name do I hear in my head the chant, "Overrated?"

14. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Give me a phucking break…trying to find anything positive in this pile if retched dog shit that Manretard put together. This god damn team is awful…Dick Kotite awful and you want to say “wow – our draft picks are panning out?????”

I would love to punch someone in the face right now somehow affiliated with this FO or CS.

15. Khan

Khan Active Member

Still don't understand this, is it for giving up the TD? What about all the plays where TO ended up on the ground? You don't think that helped at all?

16. Jonathan_Vilma

I understand that, as I play linebacker, but in order to be a gamebreaking linebacker you will need to get penetration eventually. Not on every play, but those long stretch zone plays are ones that need to be stopped in the backfield. Go back and watch Urlacher, and Ray Lewis. They're great because they are able to shoot up on third and short and make a gamechanging play.

Harris is turning into a great linebacker already, I was just pointing it out that he leaves himself prone to get knocked back because he doesn't explode through his blocker, he just contacts him sometimes. He needs to learn to bounce the fullback back, rather then try and arm tackle the back in the hole. This happened a couple times with Marion Barber.

17. Beamen

Beamen New Member

From what I've seen, he's excellent at stepping to the line, and, when met with a lead blocker, making a lateral move to make the tackle... Now, maybe you saw one example I missed where he was blown up by a FB, but, generally, when the DL does its job, Harris is faced with small-ish blockers, and is able to do this... The bigger blockers, naturally, make things more difficult for him, and lead to more attempted arm-tackles....

I understand what you're saying on those outside run plays but I don't think you will see Harris making those plays significantly in the backfield because he frankly doesn't seem to have the pure speed to run the alley quickly enough to get to the back before he turns upfield....

That being said, a 3-4 ILB is rarely asked to make those plays, and moving laterally and meeting the back at the LOS is perfectly adequate for someone playing that position....

Yes, we'd all love to see some big, gamebreaking plays in the backfield on those inside running plays by him here and there, which would require a little less discipline and more pure aggression, but I will be perfectly content if he continues to play ILB in this consistent, controlled way, so long as we build a defense around him, of course

18. RSherryJr

RSherryJr New Member

Reveis looked good - but TO still alters what you can do on defense no matter how many catches his stat sheet says he had.

19. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Nothing to do with the TD to Revis although he looked abused on that play.

It has to do with his play the entire season. He's always a few steps behind the receiver when they run in space.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Well, I see what you're saying. Maybe I just watched him on a couple plays in particular when Oliver Hoyte (#46) just turned Harris away from the play, creating a seam.

Don't get me wrong, I love his tenacity and ability to actually have a chance at taking on a guard, but I just don't want everyone to dub him invincible, as he didn't play that well today.