Welcome to the Jets Josh Bush!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SuperBowl50, Apr 28, 2012.

1. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

2. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

Never heard of him but he's the #10 ranked FS in this draft. Hope he's good lol

3. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

He is a relative unknown to many,but apparently is a decent ballhawk.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Glad we drafted a FS, hopefully this kid is a steal.

5. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

I like Bush. :)

6. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

3rd ACC player this draft. I was hoping for another one (Cam Johnson).

7. JPLink80

JPLink80 New Member

Spent time as a CB before being switched to Safety, which I believe is what he was recruited to play. Definitely has some potential, especially given the Jets shallow pool of safeties with cover skills.

8. wildaces

wildaces Banned

If Landry can stay healthy, this could be ideal. My concern is when Landry goes down. Phillip Thomas brings the same thing, but is a force in the run game.

I like the pick, if Landry can stay healthy. I don't trust Smith in the run game. Example would be losing contain in the denver game last year.

9. Will_Barcells

Will_Barcells New Member

6 picks last year

10. MURDR

MURDR Banned

I'd rather just take my chances on Leonard. He can still play, I guarantee it.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I just hope he can be solid for us at a position we badly need help in.

12. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

Here is a pre-draft report from thejetsblog.com

"S Josh Bush (Wake Forest University) 5-11, 205, 4.51 40yd dash
    Projection: 6-7 Description: Bush met with the Jets on Wednesday, April 11th. Shortly after the visit Bush told me, “I had a great time…great staff and great people working with the Jets!!” Bush is a opportunistic defensive back with a nice feel for coverage. He picks up assignments and showcases the ability to get outside the numbers and effectively tracks the ball in the air. Bush is very good at reading the quarterback’s eyes, and has very solid instincts on the football field. He has good hands and is known for his ability to shut down the opposing team’s slot receiver. Bush chases the action hard and works to defend the run. However, he does have some flaws. Bush needs to improve his backpedal. Furthermore, he overpursues the action on occasion. Bush possesses average size/speed numbers. Bush needs to do a better job breaking down in space and tackling through the ballcarrier in order to finish. Durability is unfortunately a big question. Bush was often banged up over his career (hamstring and shoulder issues). Regardless, if healthy, Bush has the chance to be an asset as a dime back/special teams player at the next level."

13. GreenMachine

14. GreenMachine

15. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

Seems like a safety with good ball hawk ability, wouldn't surprise me if they take another safety with one of their last 4 picks.

16. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

But there was someone that ESPN likes still on the board!!!

Typical FS size, rather than Jim Leonhard size. He can run, he gets picks, hope he ends up making an impact.

17. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Can't hurt to put another athlete in the safety rotation.

18. ReservoirDog76

ReservoirDog76 New Member

[YOUTUBE]LlIg7uUoW-Y[/YOUTUBE]

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Overview
    A three-year starter, Josh Bush was a two-star CB recruit out of high school, choosing Wake Forest over James Madison, Appalachian State and East Carolina. After redshirting in 2007, he saw limited time as a back-up DB in 2008 as a redshirt freshman, recording 17 tackles. Bush moved primarily to free safety in 2009 as a sophomore and started 6 games, finishing with 25 tackles and 1 INT. He played both cornerback and free safety in 2010 as a junior with 8 starts, recording 33 tackles. Bush had his best season in 2011 as a senior free safety, finishing with 59 tkls, 2.0 tackles for loss, 5 pass break-ups and a team-best 6 interceptions, earning First Team All-ACC honors. Bush wasn't
    a top recruit, but fought his way onto the field and put in his time on special teams, culminating with a First Team All-Conference senior season in 2011. He is tough, but needs to show he can stay healthy and do a better job finishing tackles once he gets his hands on the ballcarrier. Bush is a good (not great) athlete and shows the awareness and range to be effective in the second half of the field with experience at both cornerback and free safety. He doesn't look like much but can be a later round free safety pick with his heady, competitive skill-set.

Close
    Analysis
    Strengths: Flexible athlete with good foot quickness and rangy speed to cover a lot of ground. Shows good awareness to watch the eyes of the quarterback, track the ball in the air and go get it. Does a nice job fighting for positioning in coverage, using his body to box-out the receiver. Flashes a tough, competitive drive and gets the most out of his ability. Has versatile experience with experience at both free safety and cornerback - 27 career starts in the secondary. Had a productive senior season, finishing second in the ACC in interceptions with six - totaled 115 return yards on interceptions, averaging almost 20 yards per return. Weaknesses: Bush has only average size and strength, lacking ideal muscle
    tone throughout his frame. Struggles on an island and doesn't have the recovery speed to hold up in man coverage. Has choppy footwork and doesn't look natural in his transition, opening his hips too early in coverage. Played mostly in the second half of the field with little experience blitzing or in press. Needs to do a better job breaking down in space and tackling through the ballcarrier in order to finish. Has some questionable durability and was often banged up over his career (hamstring and shoulder issues). -- Dane Brugler

And They guys on NFLN, were saying they run a complex defense at WF, so he's got the Football IQ Rex relies on (ala Leonhard)