We should NOT replace Abe with our #4

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Al Dorow, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

We traded Abe for the #29 pick of the draft. Which means we need to FILL that spot WITH the #29 pick of the draft. If we replace Abe with the #4 pick by going with Williams, we have not improved our team (Abe for Williams is a wash). Now we used our #4 pick JUST to get back to where we were before Abe left. Now, basically we've gone from owning the forth pick in the draft to owning the 29th pick in the draft. We move down 25 slots in the draft before we begin to IMPROVE the team. This may be a convoluted way of thinking, but I was wondering what you folks think.

2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

great point!

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

so pass on a potentially great player that could dominate for the next ten years simply because we traded Abe. not even convoluted, just dumb. you pick a player at 4 solely on the impact you think he is going to have on the team as it is now, regardless of why or how that position is vacant.

4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

4-3 de/3-4 olb what abe would have been is not the same as 3-4 de which mario is....abe has durability concerns, is older, and mario has even more potential

5. ROCKJET

ROCKJET New Member

ok..#4 we''take a QB,D',bricK or tradedown and we'll take this player with the 29th selection:----Mathias Kiwanuka DE Boston College

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

outstanding post buddy, my thoughts exactly

7. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

WHAT?!?!?!?! Williams is by far a more complete DE than Abe was coming out. He's a Mamouth man with great speed and can be a 4 down DE in ANY scheme. Abe is a Hybrid DE/OLB speed pass rusher, end of story.

Ellis

8. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

The logic of the thread is there..in a unsual way. Not sure you can just bypass a position because it would be compared to a "trade off". If the player is an exact clone...I guess it makes sense.

I just dont think MW is an exact clone. He seems like a more complete player and not just a speed rush maniac with no interest in stopping the run (Abes first 4 years.)

I see your point...and actually agree with part of it. Just that if you draft an offensive lineman or QB...and they turn out to be just "good players" not even busts...and this guy turns out to be a star...then the theory goes by the boards.

Tons of ifs..I know. Still comes down to what position would you rather draft..and are you drafting to fill needs...or drafting the best possible player available.

The most complete talented player after Bush is MW in my opinion...and I can easliy be wrong.

#8 jaywayne12, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  9. e-x

e-x New Member

if williams is peppers then it is worth it

10. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

You have got to be kidding me.....

That's such faulty logic - You take the BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER

PERIOD

If you worry about filling a hole or filling this and that or getting back this for that you're in trouble.

11. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Good points, Jaywayne.

12. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

i just can't agree with this because if mario is our best player available you have to take him...with your logic, minnesota can't take jay cutler or vince young at 15 because them and daunte should be about=....they should take whitehurst or jacobs or croyle with the dolphins 2nd rounder they got for culpepper....doesn't make much sense does it?

13. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

LOL... PERIOD? Oh, really? Even if the best player available is a guaranteed big dollar QB, when you have a QB like Brady or Manning (P.) on your roster? You take the QB because he's the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE? I don't think so... :lol:

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the logic is only applicable in a vaccum, where all things remain constant. but that doesn't apply in the real world. fact is we need a replacement at that position now, regardless of why it is vacant. to not draft a player at 4 who could fill that position and be dominant because we had a player for that position but traded him is ridiculous. the Jets are only spiting themselves if they do that. you can rationalize not drafting any position with the 4th pick because we had players there already but released them, traded them, etc.

fact is we need a player for that position now, and if the Jets deem Mario Wiliams can have more of an impact on this team than any other player available at 4 regardless of position you take him. the point is to improve the team as it is NOW, not spite yourself because of other players you have had.

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

We still need to pick the best player available or we are just screwing ourselves. We also likely picked up money between what the 1st pick will get and what Abe got which means we can sign a couple of FA's along with the pick for Abe.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Let's see, Mario is bigger, faster, and more versatile than Abe. Sounds like UPGRADE to me.

Abe is playing in Atlanta, so our defense is weaker now. Taking Mario to replace him, if even only to replace him, still doesn't make us worse. Right now, we are worse without Abe.

I don't agree with the logic in any way shape or form.

17. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Well, to be honest, I'm not even sure if I completely agree with the logic of my own thread. I just thought I'd put it out there. The fact is, replacing Abe with the #4 WILL bother me for the reasons I stated earlier whether it's rational or not.

18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

That's a very good point winston. We saved $8M dollars trading Abe. Mario isn't getting that $8M, so we are already at an advantage.

19. JetTalk

JetTalk New Member

i have been saying this since we traded abe. we won't even need a player like Williams to fill-in for Abe in our new system. Our new schemes allow for us not to have an elite pass-rushing DE. I would rather draft Manny Lawson sometime later in the draft.

20. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last I checked, The NY Jets don't have Brady OR Manning :lol:

What team do you follow :lol:

#20 Jet Blue, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2005