Walt Michaels/Joe Walton = Eric Mangini/Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ny2dave, Sep 24, 2007.

1. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

After watching our D stink it up for four quarters yesterday, I got to thinking. One of the reasons that Walt Michaels got the can was so the Jets could keep a good offensive mind in Joe Walton with the club. Our O looks pretty decent. If other teams come calling for Shotty next offseason would we consider replacing Mangini with him? I know that Eric's relationship with Tannenbaum might make this a moot point, but I hate to lose Shottenheimer. And our D, Mangini's specialty is freakin' horrible.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Wow. Um...Do you remember the Walton years? We were better with Michaels as the HC.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Schottenheimer is no prize yet. He is good, but once you get past the no-huddle and multiple formations.....

We have zero guaranteed 5 yard plays. No Back in the middle of the field, TE in the flat....etc....Even Hackett had several of those.

4. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Agreed. I liked Walt Michaels alot. But I did see a parallel there. If our O keeps playing well and the D stays in the tank I wonder how much its going to hurt us to lose Shotty?

5. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I do wish we utilized Chris baker more.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Keeping a great offensive mind with the club is a good thing if you can keep them as offensive coordinator. Here's the list of great offensive coordinators moved up to the head coaching job to keep them with the team:

Joe Walton - Jets

Team made the playoffs until Walt Michael's defensive talent base evaporated and then tanked.

Mike Martz - St Louis

Team made the playoffs until Dick Vermeil's talent base ran out and then tanked.

I couldn't find any other offensive coordinators who replaced the head coach on a preferential basis to keep their offensive knowledge in the organization.

Offensive coordinators are notoriously poor head coaches when they are given the job. In the NFL you win or lose based on your defense most of the time and you need guys in the top spots who intimately understand the ups and downs of the defense over a long season. Almost all of the spectacular failures at NFL head coaching have been from the offensive side of the ball. Many of them then returned to the coordinator's role with great success.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I'm not sure there are too many examples outside of Walton or Martz.

Dick Vermeil retired. He wasn't forced out like Walt Michaels. So I'm not sure I'd compare the two Jets and Rams examples. Martz happened to be the best coach remaining on the staff, so he got the job.

Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, and Mike Holmgren are just three world championship-winning head coaches who were offensive coordinators at one time. There are other examples.

However, you are probably more correct than wrong with what you wrote there.

8. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Good examples. I don't know if we have a talent base to lose!

9. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

10. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

We have a defensive guy who has little talent and none for the type of D he wants to run. Anyway, there is a contingency in place for if / when Schotty gets a head coaching position. But I forgot his name (Oi!).

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It is worrisome that the Jet's defense has not shown more improvement 19 games into the 3-4. That said, the last offseason was an atrocity with virtually no real talent joining the roster except the players what we paid through the nose for in terms of potential value. I'm not sure how much of the offseason we can lay at Mangini's feet because I don't know how much hard pull he had in the decisions that were made.

If the Jets have the same type of offseason after 2007 that they had after 2006 then we're in a world of hurt. If they instead have the kind of offseason that 2006 suggested would be the rule then we're in a much better situation.

Finally, it's not impossible that even if things go wrong the Jets will make the right move in that situation and retain Mangini while making a clean sweep of the org chart above him. The Steelers retained Cowher and fired the director of football operations Tom Donohoe when they felt the club was not making progress.

The reason that you keep the coach and let the guys above him go is obvious in our current situation: the coach knows what kind of defense he wants to run and accumulates players that fit well in the scheme over a period of years. Changing coaches every 3 or 4 years is just a guarantee that you'll either have continuous misfit toys on that side of the ball or be trading your most talented players on a regular basis.

If the Jets had continued in a 3-4 when Parcells left town they'd probably not have let Farrior and Roman Phifer go and they'd have made more of a commitment to keep guys like Victor Green and Jason Ferguson. They'd also have avoided the Dewayne Robertson fiasco completely, instead likely taking Ty Warren on the 13. Continuity is king in the NFL.

12. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Our offensive talent is much better than our defense, only problem with the offense is the oline play, our defense however is still in bad need for not only dline play but at least another big playmaker

13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I think its way too early to be sold on mangini or shott or tanny or anyone else. I dont think you can determine who is more valuable with such a small sample to work with

14. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think your continuity point is a very good point, I think people underestimated how long the transition is from one defensive mindset to another. It also didn't help things that our defense before the change wasn't even that good, they were consistant but not at the level where we needed it.

15. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Brian DaBoll the QB coach. We stole him away from the Pats in the offseason. He was a big get, one that went under the radar. Him and McIntyre from Dallas.

In any case it is way too early. The defense doesn't have enough talent yet, so I don't think you can hold it against Mangini. This team was so depleted talentwise after Herm/Bradway left that it is going to a couple more years to build it back up. Honestly I don't think we are going to be able adequately judge Mangini, Tanny, and the coaching staff for another 2 years (SB run year, In my estimation). The only good part is seeing Herm take KC into the crapper too.

16. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

You guys are already talking about replacing Mangini? After a 1-2 start?

There is this thing called patience. This is a young coaching staff, and they will improve, but it will take patience.

And if your about to play the "I've been patient for 40 years" card, save it. So have I. If your patience has run out, then go take up needlepoint.

I swear, Jets fans are the worst fans in the league.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm so glad that I clicked this thread. Fart.

18. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I don't know what I'm more excited about, this one, or the "trade Chad like it's Madden" thread.

-X-

19. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I really thought that Mangini had alot of input due to his close relationship with Tannenbaum. You're right about continuity being King. Sadly, in between Parcells and Mangini we have a cover two guy in Edwards. I though losing Farrior was a big mistake.

20. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

My question is why haven't we done more to improve our defensive talent?