W16: Coaches Film Observations (GIFs inside)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Dec 29, 2015.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

GIFs will be up in about an hour or so. :)

Some notes:

- Almost the entire O-Line played lights out. At times Fitz was standing there for up to 5 seconds without any defender anywhere near him. Brick schooled Chandler Jones the entire game, who is having an All Pro type year. Carpenter was a stud, so was Mangold. Winters whiffed a couple of times but other than that he was really good and delivered some key blocks on longer runs. Breno however was just flat out terrible. He just looked flat, weak, just like the last time we played the Pats when his guy (Ninkovich) broke up like 4-5 passes. He was getting bullrushed right into Fitzpatrick over a handful of times.

- WR/HB Quincy Enunwa is getting better and better each week. He had two big catches, especially the last one to set up the TD to win the game for us of course, but what I thought is more encouraging is his improved route running and blocking. He's become a core guy, a full time player for us with his ability to line up all over the offense and do a lot of different things for us.

- RB Bilal Powell is taking his game to another level. Left the Redskins game with an injury and 5 weeks later when they deemed him healthy he's a different player. He plays with a lot of confidence, he's more explosive, he sees things better, he's trusting the blockers more, he's more patient, he always seems to make the right decisions, always hits the right holes, he doesn't waste any moves. You have to wonder going into the offseason who Macc & Todd value more, him or Ivory. My guess is Powell. If they're both back next year I wouldn't be shocked if Powell takes over as the feature back with Ivory punishing defenses later in the game. Personally I think we'd be more effective doing that anyway. Fun fact: Powell has 388 receiving yards. 399 came after the catch. :D

- TE Kellen Davis had another good game as a run blocker and in pass protection. He did get some snaps at WR but obviously didn't do any damage. Him and Amaro could be an awfully effective TE/HB combo in Chan's offense next year, I don't see him not returning.

- WR Kenbrell Thompkins could have had a huge day and he probably deserved a big day for his efforts but Fitz couldn't quite get the ball to him whenever he was targeted. He got behind the defense a bunch of times, I didn't know he had that ability to stretch the field and separate from corners but his route running was really good and he has good speed. Fitz overthrew him a couple of times on deep balls, he also missed him on the sideline at least once (overthrown). Thompkins looked a bit frustrated at some point. Got hurt later on but he seems to be fine. I think he has a future here as a #4 or #5. Solid backup who can just step in during the game and keep the offense moving.

- ILB Demario Davis looked like he was going to have another rough game when Brady went after him the first two plays I think and he was just not even anywhere near the guy he was supposed to cover (out of the backfield and another time when he lined up at WR and DD gave him a 10 yard cushion). But outside of those 2-3 bad plays he had a really good game, he made some impressive stops vs the run, he showed some instincts for once as he kept shooting through the gaps. Had a huge play late in the game for a 3 yard loss I believe. Henderson was rock solid, didn't get many snaps though. Hope Todd keeps rotating them. DD is not an every down player.

- While the O-Line looked tremendous, the D-Line was even better. All 4 starters played at a Pro Bowl level. Both outside guys (Sheldon & Mo) were unstoppable. Both guys were all over Brady the entire game, forcing bad throws, incompletions, they knocked him down like a dozen times. Then you have the interior guys, Snacks and Leonard Williams. Snacks probably played his best game this season, he abused the Center each down, he wouldn't move an inch, stood there like an Oak. Same with Leonard Williams, but he had some nice rushes as well.

- LB Lorenzo Mauldin is another guy who flat out dominated with his speed off the edge. He's shown over the last couple of months that he is a legit edge rusher who will beat tackles regularly with his speed and Teams have adjusted by double teaming him with a TE, which didn't really help all that much. He had a handful of pressures against the Pats despite only playing around 30 snaps (around 45%) as well as a huge sack on Brady. This kid is a stud in the making. Very similar to Shaun Phillips in terms of size/skillset with a little more upside.

- As expected nobody was shadowing Gronk. Wherever he lined up, the defense just stuck to their formation and let whoever was supposed to be in the slot or outside stay there, whether that means going up against Gronk or not. Since Gronk lined up outside as a receiver (on Revis' side) Revis was the guy who drew him in coverage the majority of the time and he did a great job not giving him any room, finishing the game with a beautiful interception. In the slot it was Marcus Williams, outside (opposite of Revis) Cromartie was covering him. And other teams they double teamed him (Gilchrist & Pace). There was one blown coverage where either Harris, Revis or Pryor didn't stick with him and Gronk just crossed the middle wide open for a 20+ yard gain. Outside of that play he was invisible.

Jets twitter get 5/5 stars for trolling.

[​IMG]

#1 DaBallhawk, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

I having trouble with the bolded part, but math isn't my strong point anyway. Thx

JetLifeLo likes this.
  3. DaBallhawk

Ball is at the 20 yard line. Fitz dumps it off to Powell (16 yard line, -4 receiving yards), Powell breaks a tackle and gets to the 40 yard line. 20 receiving yards, 24 yards after the catch.

4. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

Roger that. I had to watch the game on Redzone this week so I missed most of it. I do like your breakdown of the game and appreciate the work that goes into it.

DaBallhawk likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

agreed about Breno, he was really awful.
    bad against the pass (his assignment led to the fumble TD), and bad against the run.
    D'brick struggling a little too. interior played well.

also agreed on Powell. he looked spry out there.
    think he can be a dangerous option against Buff. get him more involved in the passing game.

loved the WR's..
    i've been very impressed with the offense overall. Fitz playing solid football!

cold weather here. time for Defense to take over..

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That's Ok.....5 out of 4 ppl struggle with math ;)

VaBchJet likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

- WR/HB Quincy Enunwa is getting better and better each week. He had two big catches, especially the last one to set up the TD to win the game for us of course, but what I thought is more encouraging is his improved route running and blocking. He's become a core guy, a full time player for us with his ability to line up all over the offense and do a lot of different things for us.

dude just reminds me of a young Brandon Marshall. Same body, speed, etc. I wonder if Macc has him penciled in for something more than the 4/5 WR in a year or two.

DaBallhawk likes this.
  8. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I was hoping you meant GIF's of Jets players.....not Maury

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    _

Freddy Mondo, JetLifeLo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

A high school friends dad worked with Ted Knight at WTEN (Albany) and said he was just as much of an egotistical douchebag in real life as his character Ted Baxter.

Another excellent write up DB. Cujos.

NYJetsO12 and DaBallhawk like this.
  11. DaBallhawk

Uploading them right now, should be up soon.

12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Ridley made his presence felt too...

several people starting to come on and contribute

Big Cat has come on

Snacks was fantastico. He's kicking ass at this point

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    _

ajax, Bellows1, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  14. DaBallhawk

Alright, first wave arrived. Kicking things off with a couple great random plays on defense.

Pryor's spidey sense is tingling. Recognizes the play, points it out, stuffs the run.

[​IMG]

Snacks toys around with the Center. This was going on all game, talk about overmatched.

[​IMG]

Beautiful play by Revis. Gronk doesn't bother looking back to find the ball, Revis does and gets awarded with an INT. Excellent awareness and ball skills.

[​IMG]

15. DaBallhawk

Couple plays from Harris. He had a great game overall and made some impressive stops but was exposed once in coverage late which resulted in an easy TD.

Here's a good one for a 5 yard loss.

[​IMG]

And the TD catch he gave up to the RB. Didn't pay attention to him for a split second and that's all it takes.

[​IMG]

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Where in the heck was Harris going on that play? There was no reason for him to move towards the right/outside. That was just a stupid horrible play on his part. It looks like he was "guessing" that the RB was going that way rather than actually covering him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Is it just me or do the gifs from these always take forever to load? Not trying to be a PIA, but is it possible to try a diff image host maybe? I can stream video with no problem and normally watch gifs no problem, but these ones always take 5 minutes to load.

Thanks for doing this btw.

18. DaBallhawk

I think he did freelance there, guessing, probably trying to read Brady because he expected the ball to be thrown to the slot or something, looks like he's playing zone there when he clearly should have been playing man (RB). Just looks like he didn't stick to his assignment. Another explanation would be to say that he stuck to what he was supposed to do (stick with the RB at first to give Brady the look that he's covered so he would be forced to go to the slot receiver where Harris would end up be) and Gilly failed to cover the RB. It's awfully theoretical and not likely, seems a little too complicated (even though it's defending Brady), and part of why these PFF grades mean nothing because just like anyone else they're just guessing. But it's an (unlikely) possibility. I also read how they basically paint Butler as an All Pro again after the game, he shut his guys down except for that little 4yd pass or something that lost the game for the Pats. Otherwise he was Revis like, at least according to them. But he gave up a couple of big catches in that game including a 20+ yarder to Decker. But whatever.

19. DaBallhawk

No worries, I'll try a different host for the rest of the GIFs. Didn't get to it last night, was a bit tired but there are like 20 more coming up later today. I have the same issues to be honest, it's like my connection is struggling or maybe it's my machine. I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's the volume or the size of the GIFs (possibly combination?) or just simply the host.

20. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

It's the size (that's what she said). Just tried saving the last one to see and it's 25 MB haha.

Also cheers for these! Interesting to watch.

DaBallhawk likes this.