Victor Hobson will not be back in 2008

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wewantsapp, Jan 13, 2008.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Reports on sportingnews.com Jan 7th that the JETS are not expected to retain impending free agent OLB Victor Hobson this offseason.
    Like many of the Jets' players, Hobson took a big step back in 2007 after a six-sack, 100-tackle 2006 season. He may be of more interest to 4-3 teams.

And they say Barton will not be back w/his $3.2 million salary for 2008. He would have been an UFA in 2009. The current FO looks to be purging itself of all the Bradway signings.

2. NYJets317

NYJets317 New Member

great news I don't like either of those players. Barton and that stupid ruffing the passer play in the charger playoff game and Hobson always seemed lazy to me.

3. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Can we get rid of Thomas as well?

4. pender30

pender30 Member

looks we're going to have to draft linebacker at some point in the first 3 rounds. i always liked barton, hobson can go with no complaints from me.

#4 pender30, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Medicore LBers are a dime a dozen & both Barton & Hobson fit that catagory perfectly. To use Randy Crosses words they are both semi decent

6. Jetsfan5

Jetsfan5 New Member

I think if we can get a big OLB then maybe it can work with Thomas, Vilma and Harris.

7. Beamen

Beamen New Member

While neither player is spectacular, letting both go leaves us with a pretty significant depth issue at LB. This is especially true if Vilma is dealt.

I'd bet the farm that Hobson will go on to have some good years in a different uniform....

8. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

You have to admit Barton had an excellent 1st year with the Jets. Alongside Vilma in a 4-3 defense that defense was pretty good, 7th in yards and I believe 4th in points allowed.

But his play has clearly fallen since that 1st season...Solid role player though, nothing more.

9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The Patriots will sign Hobson and put him in the middle and we will all be pissed that we let him leave.

10. Quack

Quack New Member

Why does this sound like a horribly plausible nightmare?

I am REALLY curious as to who is going to play inside. Vilma couldn't do it before the knee injury, how does anyone think he is going to fare afterwards? What, is Kassell going to be starting next to Harris? You've got to be joking now. Laurinaitis isn't tough enough to play inside in the 3-4. So does this mean we're a lock to draft Bell, Moffitt or Henderson? Or, knowing this FO's love of the Big 10, Shawn Crable? Honestly I would be happy with Bell, Henderson or Crable but a rookie and a second year starter? This doesn't sound right at all.

11. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Barton is clearly a 4-3 OLB... thats is why he excelled in his first year... I am truly sick of this 3-4 crap; we still dont have the players that fit it... We need to put DROB and ELLIS at DE; get a casey Hampton, wilfork type (which are very hard to find) and find 2 (because Thomas just sucks; always has) "rush backers" and get ride of Vilma.....we are even further away this year than we were last year. (David harris is the only...and I mean only fit in this D) thanks for letting me rant

12. pender30

pender30 Member

I've always thought that if they were going to use a 3-4 they should fully commit to it and get rid of the guys (and their salaries) who don't fit. Maybe this off season they're serious about getting the right kind of guys in here. I think this is great. Let the major overhaul begin.

13. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I still like Hobson, even though he wasn't as good this year. He's been dependable.

I won't miss Barton, though.

14. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I always liked Barton. He did a couple of bonehead things, but when he hit guys, they stayed down. He was the hardest hitting linebacker we had since Mo Lewis (Harris might be close ) Hobson was a dissappiontment considering where he was picked. I thought he pulled through last year but was lost for a part of this year.

#14 Johnny4, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

If Hobson is signed by the NEPs & truns into the next Taylor then really shame on our CS

16. e-x

e-x New Member

i like both hobson and barton, but if they can be replaced with better playmakers... great.

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If Hobson turns into the next Taylor I want a blood and urine sample.

18. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

The next Taylor? Taylor is a DE and he was picked by the Phins (never traded)....what is this Champ logic again? Most people would say that "if he tyurn into a DPOTY or prowl bowl type

19. asbcheeks

asbcheeks Member

Lawrence.

I got your back Champ.

20. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

For all this negative talk about Hobson and Barton, Ellis remains the biggest financial albatross on the Jets. He is paid like an elite DE and performs below average. 12 sacks in three years for a $7 million a year player is embarassing. He would top my list to go, before any of the LBs.

And if the Jets are getting rid of Hobson, Barton and Vilma, who exactly is going to play linebacker? I could see letting one go, but not all three.

I actually like Hobson and think the Jets should keep him. He is still relatively young and can fit the 3-4. Barton is probably the logical choice to go, not because of one stupid play he made three years ago after a great 2004 season ,but because he is the oldest of the three, is highly paid, and was brought here to play Edwards 4-3 defense because of his speed.