Vernon Davis and Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsVilma28, Apr 20, 2006.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

There could be a surprise in the Jets' draft-day plans: Maryland tight end Vernon Davis. There is increased speculation in league circles that the Jets are giving serious consideration to taking the star tight end, whom some scouts consider one of the best talents at his position in years.
    -- Newsday

The Jets are smitten with Reggie Bush, but will not call the Texans about moving up to the top spot to get him, even with Houston willing to listen to trade offers. There is also the possibility that the Texans will take defensive end Mario Williams at No. 1.
    -- New York Daily News

#1 JetsVilma28, Apr 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2005
  2. Gunther

Gunther Member

Only people this is a surprise for are those who are USC crazy, and probably never watched a USC game...
    Bush is a game changer
    but so is Davis
    and you can still pick up a solid RB, but I tell you right now if you are not gonna pick Maurice Drew with the 35th pick, you can forget it... He'll be long gone.
    I think the Jets are thinking like this only if Mario and D'Brick are gone.

3. MANGINI RULES!

MANGINI RULES! New Member

well there is a great chance that both may be gone so im all for trading down

4. Ramseyfan

Ramseyfan New Member

From KFFL:

Jets | V. Davis entering the picture
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:29:33 -0700

Bob Glauber and Ken Berger, of Newsday, report there is increased speculation in league circles that the New York Jets are giving serious consideration to drafting Maryland TE Vernon Davis, whom some scouts consider one of the best talents at his position in years. The 6-3, 254-pound Davis has been on the rise on draft boards all spring because of his athleticism, 4.4 speed in the 40-yard dash and ability to stretch the field. Last season at Maryland, Davis had 51 catches for 871 yards and six touchdowns.

My commentary:

At any level of the game, pass receivers who can create match-up problems are the second-most valuable players in the game after the quarterback.

Players who can burn you if they aren't double-teamed are rare in the NFL. Most teams don't have one. It's hard to stop teams that have two unless their QB is lousy.

Reggie Bush and Vernon Davis are two players who offer that potential in the upcoming draft. I don't think you can pass on either unless you see holes in their games that others have missed.

As to need: There is no team who doesn't need players like these. If the Jets have some decent TEs on the roster, so what? Nothing prevents the team from trading those players for others more useful. Houston can take Reggie Bush and trade D. Davis, for example.

5. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Hey guys check Hydro's posts every morning. He posts all of the local articles- save yourselves from the cut and paste routine...

6. NUKE FOXBORO

NUKE FOXBORO New Member

Im gonna shoot myself if the jets draft another TE in round 1. With the jets TE draft luck, i dont care if Jesus Christ himself was on the board.

Plus I like what I saw in Baker's limited time last year.

Hopefully this is just a smokescreen.

7. Gunther

Gunther Member

Lol, you funny, but hey consider this.....
    TE's who are considered to be pass catcher and having the ability to run after the catch have paned out better than WR's taken in the first round. TE's go up against LB and Safeties
    Vernon Davis on 99% of those plays will always have the advantage.....
    I think that is a pretty good return on the dollar :up:

8. K. Wright52

K. Wright52 New Member

I think vernon davis would be a good fit for the jets because linebackers are not going to be able to cover him one on one. It seems everybody is looking for that rare TE. Don't be suprised if we trade down and get him, difference maker with abilities

9. Jetset

Jetset New Member

We can't trade down too far - the 49ers supposedly like Davis and with their additional 1st rounder they can go offense early and fill a defensive need later on

10. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

dont tihnk of him as a TE, tihnk of him as a physical WR. When we drafted becht, we knew he wasnt going to catch a ball and run it 50 yds tot he endzone. This is a totally different type of TE.

compare it to defensive ends. You have the large interior linemen type and then the newer era guys like abraham who tend to run around the tackle. the tight end is going thorugh the same transformation.

(i really dont know if that made anysense but w/e, lol, i found a slight comparison and used it)

11. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

how's vernon's blocking? everyone keeps asking me that and I have no answer...

12. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I hope the thinking is as follows:

Stay at 4 til draft day. If for some miracle (which I don't see happening) the Texans don't pick Bush, try like heck to trade up to # 2 to get him. If they pick Bush, which they most likely will, stay put at 4. If mario or Leinart don't fall to 4, trade down no further than 9 (maybe 6) and take who's left in this order. D Brick Vernon Davis, AJ Hawk, Cutler, Ngata.

13. wbafirestorm

wbafirestorm New Member

VD would be worth it ... it takes 5 guys to bring him down... guy is a beast

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I highly doubt this will be the case in the NFL.

15. Ramseyfan

Ramseyfan New Member

Some say he's a great blocker, some say he's lousy.

However, everyone agrees that he's a workout warrior who wants to be the best ever at his position. If that's true, then it's hard to imagine that he would neglect his blocking skills. He's stronger than most tackles, so there isn't any excuse for him to be lacking in any phase of the game.

16. Gunther

Gunther Member

Put it this way...
    Blocking is his weakness, but check out how weak...
    He tends to stand still instead of attacking the blocker (That's IT)
    But he is a more than willing blocker
    Gets to the next level very easily and when he is aggressive in his blocking he usually eliminates his man

Sounds like a winner to me :up:

17. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Bingo. Couldnt have said it better myself. IMO, if you want Reggie Bush, this guy makes an awesome consellation(sp?) prize. VD will create tons of mismatches, much like Reggie. Teams are gonna have to basically put there best defender on this guy, I.E. if we play the broncos, money bet Champ Bailey would have to cover him and that frees up our other WRs.

18. MattMan

MattMan New Member

I'd be happy with Vernon Davis, but then again, ill be happy with our first pick as long as we don't draft Cutler or D'Brick

19. USAFJETSFAN

USAFJETSFAN New Member

In my opinion all the Jets are doing is creating a buzz for their 4 pick to get as many teams interested. Is it not a coincidence since the San Fran trade the Jets now taking Davis is the buzz when he was slotted to go to San Fran in so many mock drafts. Plus at #4 it is much less expensive for a team to trade with us rather then New Orleans or Houston. Teams have been all over Davis, D-Brick, Young, and Hawk. In my opinion we are in a no lose situation at #4. No way in hell we trade up at all. We are in postion this year with our #4 #29 and #35 picks to fill so many needs. What Denver did was great cause they relieze how deep this years draft class is and in return they get more picks.We either trade down and get more day 1 picks or stay put. I still think Davis is an absolute beast. I wouldn't like seeing a TE at #4 but this is no Brady or Becht we are talking about here.This is a Tony Gonzalez and Gates type of guy.This draft can not come any sooner..I will be in Vegas baby...with no sleep, sucking down bloody mary's screamin my head off...

20. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

So then how smitten can we be? We want him but won't move up for him? That doesn't seem very smitten to me.