Try to trade? Or wait for cap casualtie/s?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PolygamyWinsChampionships, Mar 26, 2012.

1. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

With pressing needs for a starter at WR, FS, and probably RT it's safe to say that we're not going to be able to get an immediate contributor in all of those positions from the draft. Especially when you figure that we're almost guaranteed to spend one of our top 3 picks on trying to get an OLB that will make an impact in the draft.

I think it's clear that we do have at least a couple of options for tradeable commodities on the team. Cromartie, Keller, DeVito, Cumberland, Mauga to start. Despite the fact that the 3 most valuable of these guys would open up some form of hole in their absence, I don't think they're at all irreplaceable. We could easily bring in a nickel corner or TE through FA to replace Cro or Keller. Despite being good players, neither are perfect fits on our team and may command value. To trade DeVito we'd probably need to draft a DE to replace him with the 1st pick, but that isn't out of the question with guys like Brockers potentially in our reach.

What cap casualties do you potentially foresee that we could snatch up? What trades can you dream up that might help us fill a position of desperate need while creating a small need or half a need in its wake?

Anything but Tebow. Please.

2. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Is FA over? Why the panic? Who doesn't have needs?. You think NE likes THAT defense? You think GB likes THAT defense? You think Pitt likes THAT OL? You think the Giants likeTHAT OL?

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't see that as panic, I see it is an honest attempt to create discussion that isn't fueled by hype. I think they're going to wait until after the draft and final cuts to fill a lot of the needs in depth and hopefully they don't go too far into broken down territory where stopgaps at FS, RT and WR are concerned. Receiver may be addressed well in the draft, RT and FS have shallow talent pools and neither would likely be immediate contributors.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

doubtfully, but the 1st 2 have 2 of the 3 best QBs in the league right now to cover that up a bit, and the 3rd has the toughest QB to help ease that pain as well.

just saying

5. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Cro, Keller, DeVito... I'm with you, I think the Jets could definitely get decent compensation working with those guys. I think it would be a bad move to trade Cro right now and I'm not sure I want to see them give up DeVito, but if they were able to pull off a trade for Keller that would be ideal. I don't mind Keller as a player but I think he's the most talented "expendable" guy on the roster and isn't quite worth his value to the Jets since he's mainly a receiver and not much of a blocker which doesn't fit the direction they're trying to go.

Cumberland looks like a pretty good all-around TE but he was hurt for most of the season. I'm not sure he's enough of a known commodity to command much on the market. In any case, the Jets desperately need better blocking at the TE position and if Cumberland is healthy I'm not sure why they would want to give up a guy that fills that need. And Mauga...he's even more of a question mark and hasn't really shown anything that I think would make him of any value in a trade.

6. PolygamyWinsChampionships

While this is certainly one of the more promising avenues to add a decent veteran starter or two before the season starts, I'm not exactly convinced that this should be the strategy right now given OUR team's specific situation.

My thinking is that if we can just pick one of those 3 positions (WR, FS, RT) and figure out a way to get one bona-fide decent player in here BEFORE the draft, it will take a lot of the pressure of need away from us, freeing our options to maybe try to hit a home run or two with our picks rather than just taking guys in order because we can't possibly live without them, (or at least can't pass them up when we're not sure we can find an adequate substitute AFTERWARDS.)

There is always going to be a grass is always greener element going on here where if you get a guy now you're going to be wishing you had the resources if someone awesome comes available later that you can no longer acquire. The other side of the coin again is that we handcuff ourselves in the draft and end up making a lot of "forced" picks rather than the ones that could make us all wet downstairs a year or two from now.

We might be able to make a bold trade-up in rounds 2 or 3 as a result, (shit even round 1 if it's the right situation.) We would certainly feel a lot more comfortable going BPA at all points. I think that Tanny should and will be strongly considering taking the pressure off before if the opportunity presents. Saying he's done til the draft is worth about the weight of his 'word for the public'. Not a shekel.

7. PolygamyWinsChampionships

As to Cumberland/Mauga I was just reading names off the salary cap page that look like we could maybe live without, while someone else might want to consider living with. Given that Cumberland was hurt last year and he does block he's probably not a real candidate, I'll give you that. Mauga I don't know. The kid showed enough to me throughout last year to make me think he at least won't embarrass us too often. I think he even came up with a nice pick too against Jax was it in a route at home?

I definitely think that someone like Mauga could be a nice pot sweetener to plenty of franchises. He's not the kind of guy that is going to make the deal go on his own, but who knows. Maybe you offer Mauga and a mid round 2013 pick along with Keller and who knows, someone might just be willing to give up a pretty nice player for that.

8. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

I think they better get their absolute needs through the draft. Normally I wouldn't say that but there is a risk with the circus atmosphere that some players will not want to come to the Jets. Rookies do have some room for refusal but unless we somehow trade up we aren't really getting a player that would command interest with other teams so we should be safe in that regard. We don't have the cap space to convince players with huge money contracts.

The lack of a developmental league has left a void and I wish that the size of practice squads could be doubled.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Eric Winston laughs at you.

10. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Guess he's already cut and signed, but I do take your point.

Who is the later Eric Winston going to be in your opinion?

#10 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  11. abyzmul

It would have been an idea if Winston hadn't signed a 4 year 22 million dollar contract with Kansas City a week and a half ago.

12. PolygamyWinsChampionships

One of the things behind my idea is that such a trade, if successful, wouldn't even necessarily preclude us from a later high profile cap casualty signing in and of itself. If we're dealing a guy like Keller/DeVito/Cro they're all carrying substantial cap hits with them out the door. Presumably the trade would be for a guy of similar ability at a different position making similar money, so the cap impact might actually be negligible.

You'd only make the trade for somebody that you're happy with obviously, so I don't think there would be too much buyer's remorse if a different guy at the same position became available later. If the later guy is at a different position than you're still in the market for him if you want.

13. abyzmul

I can't find a number yet on how much KC guaranteed Winston, but that number would likely preclude them from trading him. These contracts are why you never see a sign&trade of that magnitude in the NFL.

14. PolygamyWinsChampionships

I meant an as yet unnamed hypothetical trade. I think Winston is a pretty dead deal. They must be feeling like they hit a home run picking him up, can't see why they'd want to turn around and dump him and give us a decent deal in the process even if they could.

15. duncc5

duncc5 Member

I would have to agree with those who say that DK is our most realistic trade chip. You have to wonder if Tanny has been on the phone with Snead at all since Schotty landed in STL. The Rams need offensive weapons in a big way... even if they draft Blackmon at #6, they'll still need a TE or complimentary WR (Amendola is a RFA).

If Amendola signs elsewhere, the Rams will receive a second round pick. Maybe this pick subsequently becomes a trade chip for acquiring more offense?

16. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

If we get rid of Keller then we have no TE. Cumberland hasn't proven anything yet.

17. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

If we get rid of Keller we are getting rid of Mark's most consistent target. Removing Keller from the mix is essentially downgrading our QB positions, yet again.

As much as moving Keller would help the team overall, we will have another offensive debacle. We need stability within the receiving cops and we have Keller only as the foundation cause its obvious Holmes is a self indulgent cunt.

18. duncc5

duncc5 Member

True, but maybe TS doesn't see DK as a good fit for the ground and pound. Would you trade Keller if you knew that you would get a second round pick for him, where Fleener and Allen might be available? Keep in mind that there are still a few TEs left in FA who could come in to block for us.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Having the freedom to take BPA at all 3 draft spots is very rare.

I can see Tanny taking BPRA (best pass rusher available) with #1, BRA (best receiver) with #2, BFSA #3, and so on.

If the BPA at #16 is a place kicker, I don't think Tanny grabs 'em!

20. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Heh, nicely done. I didn't really mean that but I sure worded it that way so can't blame you for digging that one in. I was saying that it would give us freedom to be more guided by BPA in each individual pick, not that we would make every pick a BPA collectively.

Easiest black and white example of my point is Richardson. Now I know if he dropped we'd just gobble him up happily and figure out what the fuck we're going to do with our actual lives afterwards, but you can see the force at play. We take T-rich...then...uh....shit looks like we're kind of screwed everywhere else doesn't it?

I mean yeah we can get a starting OLB in the 2nd probably...but then we're kind of painted in a corner. Getting a starting RT in the 2nd or later is just asking for an unholy disaster at this point clearly, and there's nobody to even really pick from at FS that could possibly start right away. If the OLB ever busted which we all know is entirely possible especially if they're not a 1st round prospect....we'd have a really good running game on our way to having a ship with 3 or 4 holes gushing in water rapidly drowning us all.

Obviously FA is still there and I'm not suggesting that not picking up someone right now is like for sure going to ruin the season...but I think it is a real factor that's at play here.

We've got a lot of needs and we're in a very dynamic position in the middle of the draft. Depending on who gets taken in front of us there can be a whole host of opportunities that we can capitalize on, if we have the freedom to do it.