Trust Tangini on Turner Decision (video)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rickjet, Feb 2, 2007.

1. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=6fc67fd2995a5558563844c70cf70884.886319

I've been listening to countless treads about Michael Turner for weeks, honestly I had little knowledge of him because of the Chargers not being aired as often of some other teams......the above video is very impressive on Turner's running style.....kind of reminds me of a taller Jones-Drew (Jax) , good speed mixed with strong legs that make his center of gravity very tough to stop....I trust Tangini to make a good decision with this player's option.....remember just because a team tenders him, you still can negotiate for a lower pick and the Jets 2nd pick (via Redskins) is a quality offer in a trade....

2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

my favorite run in that video occurs at about the 3:50 mark. He breaks it loose down the sideline (against the Patsies), and instead of going out of bounds when a defender comes, he lowers his shoulder and fights in for the score.

I want this kid on the JETS

3. Long & Winding Rhode

This video might have just made a believer out of me.

Also, IMO, he had the best goatee in the NFL!

4. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

First, I'll say that Turner does have talent... there is no question about that.

But, to play a little devils advocate, almost all of those highlights were in the second half, and many in garbage time when the game was decided and the defense was worn down and tired. I mentioned this in the other thread... Jesse Chatman had a 6.0 YPC as Tomlinson's backup in 2004. That clip included highlights from the past two seasons... if Leon had another season under his belt, could a clip make him look just as good?

The truth is, I would not be upset if we gave up a one for him, but remain convinced it would be over paying. Our O line can't open holes like that either, but Turner did show some serious determination on those runs. I'm still convinced the best way to make the running game improve is to get some good run blocking linemen on the right side.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not to mention you coulda put together an awfully good highlight reel of Lamont Jordan's time as Curtis Martin's backup also. Very few runningbacks are capable of carrying the load and performing well in the NFL. I'm being optimistic when I concede that Turner has a 50/50 chance to survive the collision with reality and be a good fulltime runningback. He actually probably has a far lower chance to do that.

6. JetsLookingforDWare

1. Seriously, Lamont Jordan has been beat to death. At WORST, when he was healthy he was a good full time RB. To put up over 1500 yards on that QB-less team with no line is pretty damn impressive, and it's being highly underrated by Jets fans.

2. Jesse Chatman was 5'8 245, very different build than Turner, and he didn't have Turner's speed or pure explosiveness. Notice how San Diego CUT Chatman, who was just some backup and everyone knew it. They have a high price for Turner because it is quite obvious he has far more talent than your average backup running back, which is where the Lamont comparison SHOULD come in. It was pretty obvious Lamont was the most talented backup in the league, just like it is for Turner.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Take a look at the performance of the 19th pick of the 5th round in 2001 as he successfully navigated the role required of a backup to a star runningback.

Compare that to his performance when he was thrust into a fulltime role.

Now look at Turner again and tell me that you're sure he's going to be a solid runningback when the load is thrust on him.

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I think wherever he starts he's bound to be a top 5 RB. Hopefully it's with us.

9. JetsLookingforDWare

Yes, now compare Blaylock's build and running style to Turner's.

Blaylock came into the NFL at 5'9 and less than 200 pounds. He is FAR less physical than Turner, thats obvious just looking at them.

Considering their physical skills, Turner is and was a far better starting RB prospect than Blaylock.

10. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

he averages 6.1 yards per carry in the 1st half and 6.4 yards per carry in the 2nd half...

11. doug4563

doug4563 Active Member

The video higlights are great, looks like he has a good ability to bounce of would-be tacklers. But did you notice that the offensive line was 4 to 4 yards downfield by the time he received the handoff?

12. JetsLookingforDWare

I too can exaggerate.

Did you notice how Turner singlehandedly carried all 11 defenders on every handoff?

PS: It's possible for the Jets to improve their line. The talent on the Chargers line isn't anything special, they just work together really well. Hell, I think the highest pick on their line is McNeill, a second rounder. It's possible to build a great line quick with late round draft picks. Just a year ago the Chargers saw their OL as a weakness.

#12 JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  13. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

I completely agree. THe blocks in the film were outstanding. The jets couldnt block like that on there best day. There is no doubt the kid has speed.
    But again i wouldnt give a 1st round pick. take a rb with that pick or a second round pick. The guy has been in the league for 3 years.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yet you ignore the fact that Jesse Chatman was a much better physical speciman then Turner, running a 4.5 at 245 lbs.

The Chargers line was absolutely dominant this year, so I don't really understand where your coming from on that.

15. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

....as I stated in the opening thread...WE MUST HAVE FAITH IN TAngini to make a good decision in this matter...and I have FAITH in this front office!!!!!

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Can anyone tell me the last time in the NFL anyone ever traded a 1st round pick for a back? Was Marshall Faulk traded for a one? Did anyone offer a 1st round pick for Shaun Alexander? And we are going to give up a first round pick for a guy who hasn't proven he's an every down back. This is comical your all delusional.

17. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

agreed...as has been said many many many times before, a 2nd rounder, tops

18. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Hes got nothing on JV's chin fluff.

After watching the vid, he looks pretty though going through the middle, but that was just to run down the clock in those games.

#18 Twombles, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  19. USAFJETSFAN

USAFJETSFAN New Member

The one thing I did pay attention to was how well he protects the football. I can see how the line of SanDiego looked pretty dominant, but there were many runs where the line colapsed and Turner made 2 yard losses into 5 + yard gains. Looking at the draft do you really think our value at 25 will yield a RB of his stature. We will not get Petterson or Lynch and to even think of drafting Irons or Bush with our First is a big reach and in my opinion a bit of a reach with the 38th pick.

20. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I was talking about the highlight clips.... which are almost all in the second half and most late in games that were over. That was a simple observation of watching the clips, but your post made me wonder.....

In 2006, Turner had 80 carries. 26 in the first half, 54 in the second half, and 35 in the fourth quarter. So, about 44% of his carries in 2006 were in the 4th quarter. 52 if his 80 carreis came with an 8 point or larger lead. Close to 63%. His YPC is 7.0 in the 4th quarter.

So, it does appear that many of his carries were late in the game with a nice lead. That isn't a bad thing, he moved the chains and kept drives going, but I suspect he won't have numbers like that as a full time feature back either. Tomlinson had a YPC of 5.3 last year. I don't think he's better than Tomlinson, and for sure, our O line is not nearly as good.

Two facts: Turner has never been a twenty carry RB, so how well he holds up is an unknown. His numbers like YPC etc will drop as a feature back... the question is how much.

I'd love to get Turner.... just not for a one. Let SD rot waiting for a first round pick.... then sign him as a UFA next year. If we gave a one, I'm just saying that is over paying, and over paying for players in the NFL is never a good thing.