Thoughts on Vilma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by VinnyAndTheJets88, Apr 4, 2006.

1. VinnyAndTheJets88

VinnyAndTheJets88 New Member

First and foremost I would like to say that I think Vilma is the best player on our defense so this thread is in no an attempt to bash him... I've thought of this myself but just saw a show on NFL network that reinforced my concerns - it was about Ray Lewis and how playing in a 3-4 limited his production and more importantly, talent... what it basically said was that a true MLB's strength is running sideline to sideline and making plays (which Vilma excels doing) and in a 3-4 they don't have as much freedom to do so, plus they have to deal with a lot more linemen and sheld blockers, Vilma is on the smaller side may struggle to fit that mold... I'm not saying it can't work or even that we shouldn't do it because obviously that is Mangini's area of expertise, I'm just interested in everyones thoughts (a certain DE in the draft also fits much better in 4-3)

2. Zcore

Zcore New Member

I have to admit..you have a really good point, but Vilma is a smart kid I'm sure he'll adjust fine to a 3 - 4 defence. I think Vilma played the 3-4 in school

3. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

mangini is not gonna put his best player in position to fail. if he does he wont be coachin long.

4. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

3-4 is all about the linebackers...

Vilma will be a playmaker in a 4-3,3-4,2-6,Nickel,Dime whatever...He has a nose for the football. Just get him a DT and a big linebacker next to him(Hobson?) and he'll keep producing at a high level.

5. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

ohhhhhh yah

6. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

thats what we need a Young NT.. that would be vilmas protection for years

7. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

Ray Lewis was an unstoppable force when he won a Super Bowl with Sam Adams and Tony Siraguse protecting him in a 4-3. DeWayne Robertson and Sione Pouha are definetly not Sam Adams or Tony Siragusa.

Mangini's area of expertise? Please the Pats defense ranked 26th in total defense last year. The much maligned Donnie Henderson coached the Jets to a 12th overall defense last year.

8. KJet84

KJet84 Member

First of all, the Pats problems on defense occurred for the same reason that we had problems on offense. When you don't have your two defensive captains and leaders for much of the season (Bruschi and Harrison) it is hard to make adjustments. On top of that, their secondary was BEAT up so I don't fault Mangini at all. We had the #12 defense because we sat back in the soft cover 2 zone and allowed teams to just pick up 6 yards at a time. But where were all of our big plays?? Our sack totals were pathetic and the only reason we had so many INTs was because our defense was on the field for 75% of the game.

We gotta give our coach more credit than this. He realizes who he has on this team, and he realizes what a great player Vilma is. He will never stick him in a system that doesnt allow Vilma to make the plays he is used to making. If we run the 3-4, I guarentee that we will have the other middle LB immediately run blitzing to free up Vilma to make the plays. While people think that one LB run blitzing won't take up any blockers, that is foolish. The 3-4 is designed to confuse and when offensive lineman don't know whos coming, it will be easy for them to lose track of Vilma.

One more thing, Vilma played all year getting blocked by OL because James Reed isn't big enuff to take up blockers so he is definately used to dealing with that. Do we all forget that this will only be his third year in the league and already has a Defensive Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowl selection? Trust me, people around this league know how good VIlma is as does our new head coach, so I am not worried at all that he will be put in the position to make a lot of tackles as well as a lot of big plays.

9. WayneChrebet

WayneChrebet New Member

No. Our Defense was on the field for 75% of the game because of turnovers and lack of 1st downs.

#9 WayneChrebet, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2005
  10. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

lol stats dont always tell the truth.. pats made the playoffs.. our Defense was abused beyond bad in some games last season.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I think Vilma will be just fine. Yes, Mangini is installing a 3-4 defense, but he also said he would create plays that highlighted the strengths of his men, and the weaknesses of the opponent. Vilma will be all over the place this year, and he will again be around the top of the league list for tackles.

Keep in mind, Vilma is a centerpiece player. Better than that, he is a true Mangini-type centerpiece. He is incredibly intelligent, he has loads of God-given talent, and he loves the game. I wouldn't be surprised if 65-70% of the defensive playcalls are made with Vilma as the key man.

12. Jetfan1215

Jetfan1215 New Member

i have always preferred 4-3 to the 3-4. especially since the Jets now have Von Olhoffen inside next to D Rob. If Vilma can make more of an impact in the 4-3 then they should stay. But time will tell which is more effective.

13. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

what team can run a 2-6

can vilma, d-rob, a future 2nd round pick and a 3rd rounder be packaged for shaun rodgers, charles rodgers, the 9th and the 40th

14. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

wut are u sayin jtrain is dis madden 2007 already.

15. 1028

1028 Active Member

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

16. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Ray lewis is a superstar, so he is used to putting up superstar numbers, anything less to him is a failure, even though we would think its still good he wont, and besides he didnt have mangini as a coach.

17. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

what you say has merit, VATJ, and I've thought it myself. I agree that Vilma's stats may go down, but I think the 3-4 defense will expand his role, taking advantage of his smarts and speed. In fact, we may see him make more big plays, though not as MANY plays. What I expect is that Mangini will center his defense around Vilma. If it doesn't work for Vilma, then it's not somethign we will do, that's just my sense of how Mangini operates.

18. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

vilma is the key for us to succeed. Can he run well in the 3-4 I hope

I WISH IT WILL BE POSSIBLE TO HAVE OUR LB'ERS LIKE

BARTON---VILMA----HOWARD----LAWSON

19. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

Vilma is the single key to the jets success in the future. He racks up tackles like Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks, He is a special player that the Jets need to make sure stays around for this entire carrear. Honestly I am sad to say that when the Jets drafted him I was dissappointed, I wanted other needs to be filled but now after 2 seasons, I was wrong and he is by far my favorite Jet.

20. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I seen Denver do it a few times last season against Buffalo for a night game...Pretty funny to see.