The OFFICIAL Week 2 laugh at Herman Edwards Thread!!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by impevan, Sep 18, 2006.

1. impevan

impevan Banned

Something to make us happy, on a sad day...

Every loss this year can be spun to look better. All you have to do is close your eyes, click your heals together three times, and go to the Kansas City Star.
    Two games - no touchdowns, Two embarrassing losses, Two "miscommunications" neither of which were Herm's fault.
    Mangini did not call a perfect game, absolutely, but ANYBODY who can't see a difference already, doesn't know football... Read and enjoy.
    http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15545050.htm

2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Mangini and brad smith for herm was the steal of the year.

3. Roanoke

Roanoke New Member

Chiefs struggle against clock
    Things get especially confusing on Huard?s questionable timeout at the end of the second quarter.
    By ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star
    DENVER | With better clock management, the Chiefs might have left Invesco Field at Mile High with their first road win against the Broncos in six years.

They would have at least given themselves a better chance. But in their first close game with Herm Edwards as coach, they wasted precious seconds at the end of the first half and fourth quarter and wound up losing 9-6 in overtime.

Edwards was also plagued with clock-management issues during his time as head coach of the Jets.

The situation was particularly ugly near the end of the second quarter. The Chiefs, in a scoreless game, had a second down at the Denver 11 with 9 seconds left. The clock was stopped because Samie Parker had gone out of bounds after catching a pass on the previous play, so they could have tried one more play before attempting a field goal.

Quarterback Damon Huard burned the last timeout of the half as the Chiefs were breaking their huddle and heading toward the line of scrimmage. That left the Chiefs with no reasonable choice but to kick the field goal right then.

Explanations varied. Guard Brian Waters indicated Huard may have had trouble getting the play call in proper time. Edwards said the Chiefs weren?t going to get the play started before the play clock expired perhaps because Huard was confused.

?We might have given the quarterback too much in the two-minute (situation),? Edwards said. ?The guy hasn?t played a lot. We can?t give him that much.?

Huard, meanwhile, was worried about the Chiefs? ability to get the three points.

?With nine seconds, I didn?t want to have a bad play,? he said. ?I just thought it made the most sense with where we were at that point to take the timeout and make sure we got the three points.

?We weren?t lined up right. It just wasn?t right. I didn?t want to have a bad play and get no points at all.?

The Chiefs again struggled late in the fourth quarter. With the score 6-6, the Chiefs had a first down at their 42 at the 2-minute warning.

But two plays ? one being an 11-yard Larry Johnson run that moved the Chiefs past midfield ? burned one minute, 19 seconds. The Chiefs didn?t use their second timeout until 32 seconds remained and never used their third.

?We thought about (using timeouts), but then it got to third and 13,? Edwards said. ?We wanted to get the ball, drive down and kick a field goal with no time left, but we lost some yards. We needed to at least get to the 30, but we couldn?t do that.?

Sounds strangely familiar.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Who Cares!!!!

5. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

It's the same for Herm every year!

6. impevan

impevan Banned

Herm's demise makes me happy, leave me alone. Just kidding, but seriously, why can't we talk about Jets History. These stories clearly emphasize to everybody that the last couple of years and playoff runs were inspite of Herm's coaching, and I honestly believe we had the talent to win a championship during his tenure but it is impossible to calculate how many games he cost us.

7. mem_reddog

mem_reddog New Member

Let's not focus on the past, we have a bright future, and that is where our focus should be.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sadly true. :sad:

9. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

this guys knows what he's talking about...what's done is done, so let's worry about buffalo now :up:
    :jets:

10. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

HEAD COACH HERM EDWARDS
    Opening Statement

?Obviously it was a defensive game and a field position game. Going in to the game and into the first half historically we have not played well here, but I think that we did good to keep it close. Turnovers definitely got us a couple of times. You cannot do that in a game like this, against a team like this. You have to give them credit. We left some things out there. We will grow and we have to do some things better.?

On QB Damon Huard
    ?There were a couple of situations where we might have given him too much. The guy hasn?t played a lot. For the most part, he kept us in the game and our defense did too. We just gave him too much and you have to know who is playing; who is out on the field for you.?

On not using timeouts
    ?We thought about it but then it got to third-and-thirteen. We wanted to get the ball, drive down, and kick a field goal with no time left but we lost some yards. We needed to at least get to the thirty and we couldn?t do that.?

{HackettStillSux - :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: }

On the team?s progress
    ?I think we played a lot better than last week. Especially for coming in to here (Denver) they played a lot better. Today it was a game of the defense really dominating. The defense played really well in the red-zone.?

On the defensive performance
    ?We battled out there. We played well. This (Denver) is a really good football team. You know they are going to break a run or two and they did. Our defense played really well in the red-zone. You have to be in it in the fourth quarter to win it. So we had the ball in the end to try to win it but just couldn?t get it done.?

On how he felt QB Huard performed
    ?He?ll learn from it. I don?t know if Trent Green will be back after the bye-week, but if Huard has to play we will play with him. Their defense was definitely playing the run. We were trying to get the ball out to the flat and trying not to be too conservative. We probably would have taken more chances if Trent Green had been playing. We got the ball to Larry Johnson in the flats and got a few yards off that.?

On the Chiefs? 0-2 start
    ?There are still 14 games left. We need to re-group in the bye-week and come back and be ready for San Francisco. We will have to correct some things and see where we are after that.?

On playing on the road
    ?You have to take more chances. With Trent Green we would have made more plays. On the road you have to take the crowd out of it. We had a chance to win this and that is all that you can ask for.?

Herm? Take Chances?!??!

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Miami lost at home too, the day wasn't a total washout. :up:

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

yep we had Championship talent that's why 3 coaches walked out on us w/in a year.:rolleyes:

#12 nyjunc, Sep 18, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  13. The Mariner

The Mariner New Member

Herm's move to KC is making him a caricature of himself. I know we were all joking that he'd take one of the best offenses in the league and drive it into the ground, but did anyone expect him to actually do it this quickly? Two games and they've scored one touchdown! This is like deliberate sabotage.

14. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

When you lose your stud QB and have Huard behind him, what do you expect? Did anyone really expect Herm to take his "injured QB curse" with him to KC? I thought Chad was cursed, but maybe it was Herm all along. :rofl:

15. DownAndOut

DownAndOut Member

You're absolutely right. One of the things I notice this year through the first two games is Chad seems to be getting to the line of scrimmage with much more time on the play clock then in past years.

#15 DownAndOut, Sep 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2005
  16. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

Chad looks great and he's got Coles and Cotchery to go to battle against the young bufflalo secondary. I like those matchups.

17. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Besides: We have a "Laugh at Herm" thread on the NFL board!!! :rofl2:

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

And we seem to have all of our 3 time outs when we get to the end of a half.

19. talbain

talbain New Member

Damn its great to see Herm losing...

well, that was a tough loss yesterday. but one thing that makes me feel better is how things are going for herm in kc. lol. one of the most potent offenses in the nfl reduced to nothing in the blink of an eye.

i guess it's safe to say it was herm's fault all along that our offense sucked...

20. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Herm will be hung out to dry before long.KC fans won't tolerate his style of not playing to win.