TE dept. : " Jets | Negotiating with Bajema " ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Mar 6, 2009.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Jets | Negotiating with Bajema
    Thu, 05 Mar 2009 14:58:25 -0800 Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets have been negotiating with unrestricted free-agent TE Billy Bajema (49ers).

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Don't know much about him... Anyone have a scouting report?

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/2/10/754559/tight-ends-long-look-back

4. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

all im really finding is that hes 6'4 256 and suppose to be a solid blocker with decent speed..

5. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Run first
    Throw the ball to Keller second

6. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

We have Keller as a receiving TE. All you need to know he is young and a solid/prototyical blocking TE. That's good enough for me, solid signing.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It kind of makes me wonder if the Jets are targeting Branden Pettigrew in the draft, and have plans for Keller to be used as an H-Back/WR...

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3849056&yr=2009

Pettigrew is a big, physical tight end who can dominate an opponent at the line of scrimmage and in the open field. He has prototypical size and is a tremendous athlete. He’s quick off the line, moves well laterally and uses his strength and hands to his advantage in blocking situations. He provides a quarterback with confidence as he sets up nicely in an open area and flashes strong, reliable hands. - Chris Steuber, Scout.com

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If we draft a tight end in the first round two years in a row, the world will end.

9. xxedge72x

Not necessarily. Keller isn't anywhere close to the kind of blocker that this offense requires, but he does have the speed to play a slot WR or H-back role. Pettigrew would be a great fit for the offense Ryan wants run. Hell, a lot of the guys on the NFL network are speculating that Pettigrew is a better blocker than any of the linemen in this draft.

10. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Keller is our T. Heap. He isn't playing slot or H Back.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Schottenheimer is still the OC, correct? Keller will have an even bigger role in 2009.

Bajema and another veteran/late-round pick will be brought in as blockers.

Chris Baker was a decent blocker, but he wasn't elite and Bubba Franks was slow and old.

Pettigrew is the top-rated tight end in '09's draft -- the Jets won't waste a high pick on that position.

12. xxedge72x

Pettigrew is a dual-threat and could be an every down player, where as Bawhatshisname is a situational player that basically raises the flag of "we're going to run".

While I agree it's very unlikely the Jets use 17 on him... I could see them trading down to the late 20s/30s and using that pick on him. He enhances the running game as much as a rookie TE can, and can also catch passes at the same time. Seems to me like the perfect fit for the Rex Ryan vision of offense.

I'm also not suggesting in any way Keller's role will be reduced. I just don't think TE is the ideal spot for him considering the fact that Ryan wants us to have such a powerful rushing attack.

13. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

are we really that close with this guy.. i thought we were just saying hes on our radar and talks have begun.. but is there a good chance we are gunna sign him??

14. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I am being optimistic. Sign him then there is our blocking TE. And I highly doubt they use a first rounder on TE a second year in a row.

15. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

I'd be very happy with Pettigrew, especially if we traded back a few spots to get him. Keller is really a big WR / H-back. He's not a traditional TE since he doesn't have the size or the experience as a good blocker.

Pettigrew is a great blocker that could help us establish a strong running presence. Also with a big frame and long arms, he'd be a nice red-zone target. So he'd be an excellent choice.

16. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

You would be able to do a lot of creative offensive formations if we did draft Pettigrew. Though I doubt it would happen.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You really want the Jets to pour that much money into the tight end position?

A late round tight end prospect like Bear Pascoe could easily do the same for our running game - he's the best blocking tight end besides Pettigrew.

18. xxedge72x

The whole point is that Pettigrew is not only the top blocking TE in the draft, but he is a nasty receiver to boot. Teams can't look at him as a 6th linemen, they have to put someone on him to cover. That does wonders for both assets of the game. A blocking TE doesn't bring that presence, nor does a receiving TE. Pettigrew is a rare dual threat.

19. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

ANother Colston? Keller seems he would be a llittle to big for a wr and aslo lack speed.

20. xxedge72x

There's no such thing as a "too big" WR, and he ran a 4.5... he has speed. Good luck matching him up with someone on the opposing defense.