Should Terrell Davis be in the HOF?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Murrell2878, May 20, 2010.

?

Should Terrell Davis be in the HOF?

1. Yes

47.1%
  2. No

52.9%
  1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm not calling anyone out with this thread just curious as to what everyone thinks.

2. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

I'd say yeah. He might not get in first try but I think he'll eventually get voted in. Like someone said in the other thread he was a huge reason why they won 2 Super Bowls and we know how vital a good RB is when you wanna win.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yes. his ability and performance weighs high enough in my mind to overcome the length of time he excelled.

4. Murrell2878

A lot like Gale Sayers. Also there are so many players that are in the HOF that aren't deserving in comparison for their on field accomplishments

5. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

No way 4 good years does not make a Hall of Famer.

Edit: Damn just looked up Sayers dam he sucked as well. I guess he might get in but should he No.

6. Murrell2878

4 good years then a serious injury. I didn't think he was slowing anytime soon prior to the first knee injury.

Sayers definitely didn't suck, but the knee injuries killed his career.

7. JetBlue

the Hall of Fame is simply a label that applies to players that are the greatest to ever play the game. that isn't necessarily dependent on a long career if that greatness is evident in a shorter span. In TD's case, I believe it is.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Sayers had more seasons playing at an elite level than did Davis. Also, Sayers was a brilliant kick returner.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He didn't play long enough to get the stats. He was undoubtedly one of the most talented backs of all time but his stats aren't HOF worthy, or even close to HOF worthy. Durability is also something people take into consideration when thinking HOF.

#9 Jake, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  10. JetBlue

yes, but an ACL injury isn't a durability issue.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Injuries are injuries. You can chalk up an ACL injury to bad luck just like you can for literally any other injury.

12. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

You seem to be addressing more whether he gets in rather than your personal opinion.

There are undeserving members of every HOF. I don't think you can compare to the worst necessarily.

In baseball, should every second baseman who can match Mazeroski's stats get in?

Or every QB who has a better TD/INT than Namath?

And finally, I think Sayers had a more impressive career than Davis, especially when you compare Davis to Denver RBs after him.

13. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

No. Didn't play long enough, which might be overlooked if not for the the fact that he played in a system that could basically take a guy off the street and turn him into a 1,000 yard rusher. He was obviously much better than a guy off the street, but once you take into account that he played in a system where guys like Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Ruben Droughns, and Tatum Bell could gain 1,000 yards he needed much more than 4 years.

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

As great as he was for 4 years, I don't think he played long enough. Somewhere in the HOF equation longevity has to be considered and unfortunately TD simply doesn't have it. 4 years is just not enough. imo

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think he's a borderline case, and the fact that many nobodies came after him and did well on the Broncos does provide evidence that he wasn't quite as good as his numbers suggest. Given that and his short career, I would say no, but wouldn't be surprised or outraged if he made it.

16. Murrell2878

Namath was one player I was specifically referring to. Red Grange is another. Players who are in not because of what they did on the field but what they meant to the game. Davis did more than both of those two on the field.

Based on what though? Sayers never won a Championship, Davis won 2. Davis had three years of over 95 yards rushing per game Sayers had 1. They each averaged a touchdown every 24 carries during their healthy years. They were both good receivers out of the backfield. Sayers also had a fumbling problem fumbling once every 28 carries while Davis fumbled once every 84 carries.

I'm not saying Davis was better than Sayers, but Sayers is in the HOF despite playing a very short career due to injury. There is no denying Davis' accomplishments prior to his injury. And statistically he is easily comparable to Sayers.

17. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I'll go with my gut and say no. He was the product of a great system with a great qb and a great line. He only had 4 HOF years. He is borderline, but my first instinct says no.

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I think part of being great is playing at that very high level for a longer period.

If he got in I wouldn't be opposed though.

19. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Suck was a poor choice of words he was a great player but didn't do the job for a long enough period of time. Everyone has out there playing has a chance for injury just some get the bug and some don't. Only 2 years of over 1,000 yards. He shouldn't be in the HOF.

20. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

half of fame? No....

he was an amazing player...his last full year was one of the best all time by a RB AND they won a super bowl. the year before that wasn't far behind

Who knows how good he would have been after elway retired though? It's hard to say and that's why you can't definitely can't say yes.

4 seasons isn't long enough to get you into the HOF. but it's sad, because had he been healthy...i think this wouldn't even be a debate.