Rookies winning the superbowl

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, Feb 5, 2007.

1. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Of course we all know Joseph Addai who is a starting rookie skilled position player has won the superbowl as a rookie. now my question is okay some players in the league spend there lifetimes trying to catch that elusive super bowl ring. which i personally think makes those players contend the next year harder because they trying to get to the superbowl thats what its all for. now being a rookie and winning it do you think that you kinda have nothing else to fight for after that do you kinda stamp a curse on your career. I've been to the league ive won a ring what more else to i need type of scenario........

This thread is now open for discussion!!!

#1 tanknyc, Feb 5, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are rookies on every super bowl winning team. The question of whether or not winning the big one early skews your expectations is a good one and I have no idea what the answer is.

It'd be interesting to take a position, like runningback, and look at the few starting runningbacks who won as rookies and then see how their teams did as long as they lasted in the NFL. You'd probably be best off doing this with runningback because that's one of the few positions where a player can be drafted and come in and be a star instantly.

pro-football-reference.com is an excellent site for doing historical comparisons when you are looking for relatively simple numbers, particualrly for skill position players. Defensive stats have not been compiled yet so it's pretty useless for anything but team defensive stats.

3. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

yeah i guess i should of put it better i was meaning to say starting rookie players specially at the skilled positions. ill go back and make a correction so it doesnt sound retarded

4. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Here are the rooks who won the superbowl

Tim Jennings (CB) - Georgia 
    T.J. Rushing (DB) - Stanford 
    DeDe Dorsey (RB) - Lindenwood  
    Antoine Bethea (S) - Howard 
    Joseph Addai (RB) - LSU 
    Freddy Keiaho (LB) - San Diego State 
    Ryan LaCasse (DE) - Syracuse 
    Daniel Federkeil (OT) - Calgary  
    Charlie Johnson (OT) - Oklahoma State 

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Like Big Ben winning it all for the Sqeelers as a rookie, and now he can hit the broad side of a barn (unless he's on his MC going 80mph).

6. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

LMAO thats funny............

7. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Big Ben won in his 2nd year. His rookie year was the year he played like crap against the Jets, and the Steelers pulled it out then got hammered by NE.

Big Ben played awful in the Super Bowl too but everyone forgets that.

8. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

from those names i guess you are kinda doomed i dont recognize nobody on there besides addai/bethea and isnt he on the colts

9. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

All these guys are on the Colts roster..

10. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

okay i see.... i was more thinking like to rookies who started and played in the superbowl... all those guys started???

11. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

Lets see how many QB's could nearly die in a motorcycle accident, have their appendix removed and a concussion or two and still play at a WINNING level of football...

I'm going to think that Big Ben will bounce back next year.

12. GreenMachine

18 TDS and 23INTS with a 75 QB rating is not a winning level of FB.

13. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I think the only guys you should be worried about growing complacent after a Superbowl win are the grizzled veterans. A guy like Addai, despite having been part of a Superbowl winning team, has a long way to go as far his personal goals go, mainly getting that big pay bump after his rookie contract expires.

14. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Take it wasy guy....Big ben did suck this year and if you call having your appendix out and a concussion a near death experance that count me in on that too along with half on this board.

15. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

You sound like a steeler apoligists.

If that was Chad who drove his motorcycle into a SUV with no helmut we would be all over him not making excuses on a rival board as too why he had a bad year.

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

He is a Steelers fan...

He did have a terrible year, though, especially considering what's expected of him. I wouldn't really have called his play a "winning level of football" but there's a lot of reason to think he'll bounce back.

And come on, he did have a near death experience. You want to fly through a windshield?

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I was shocked that Roethlisberger was ready to go at the start of the season. He has to be the luckiest son-of-a-b*tch ever not to have broken his neck or had any spinal issues off of that.

I also think he'll bounce back strong, but I would not be surprised if he failed to reach the levels he looked like he was headed for before the accident. That was a serious bump in the road (so to speak.)

18. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

If i was a rookie and i won the Superbowl, My next agenda would be to win another one and become a household name. I dont think rookies would just be satisfied with a ring that they might need to sell later on when they are broke; because they didnt become householdnames and never got rich.

19. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

This is the key point right here. Kevin Mawae put it best in an interview a while back that if your heart isn't in the game you won't last. I think if I was a pro football player I would absolutely still have the motivation to work my ass off. One being for the possibility of getting another one and becoming a legend of the sport. The more realistic reason would be to play your tail off and get paid, and there is nothing wrong with that.

20. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I think sometimes as a rookie in the nfl they already come in with the lackadaisical mind set. not so much intentionally but because maybe they were the man at there college and could get away with dogging practices etc.. so they get to the nfl win a ring and become content and complacent with what they done. because most players take so long to get what they have they feel like i must be that good and get the big bubble head.