Rook QB in passing lane

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerome 84, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Jerome 84

Jerome 84 New Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/479596p-403502c.html

Rook QB in passing lane

Kellen soon will be hanging with Chad

By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Second-round pick Kellen Clemens could fight for starting QB job next season.

Unless something wacky happens in the next couple of weeks, the Jets will make it through the season without a quarterback controversy. From the start of the four-player charade/competition last spring until now, it has been Chad Pennington's team. He's an untouchable.
    But next season, he won't have that immunity.

Pennington has been the ideal transition quarterback - smart, good leadership skills, capable of picking apart a suspect defense - but the expectations will be higher in 2007. A fat interception total (a career-high 15) isn't going to cut it next year, when he discovers that Eric Mangini's leash is noticeably shorter.

Two reasons: Greater pressure to win in '07. Kellen Clemens.

The rookie, who began his climb up the depth chart by supplanting Patrick Ramsey as the No.2 quarterback for last week's game, will be a legitimate threat to Pennington next season. Pennington will go into training camp as the starter, but he shouldn't get too comfortable.

Mangini's handling of Clemens is eerily similar to the way his former boss, Bill Belichick, groomed Tom Brady in his first season as the Patriots' coach. Consider:

In 2000, Brady's rookie year, Belichick threw a bone to his young QB, activating him for two games in the final month. Brady made his first appearance in a mop-up role, a three-play stint at the end of a 34-9 loss to the Lions in Week 13.

Three days ago, Clemens made his debut as the primary backup, a four-play outing at the grisly conclusion of a 31-13 loss to the Bills in Week 14. (He did handle mop-up in the Week 5 blowout in Jacksonville, but that came as the No.3 quarterback.)

In 2001, Brady replaced longtime starter Drew Bledsoe in Week 3 because of an injury (courtesy of Mo Lewis), although Brady was gaining on Bledsoe and the change was going to happen eventually.

In 2007, Pennington will have reason to look over his shoulder, assuming Clemens has a strong offseason and continues to develop. Obviously, the Jets think highly of their second-round pick; they believe he has Pennington-like intangibles, except with a better arm.

"When you pick a guy that high, you have to play him," an opposing AFC coach said.

That Mangini entrusted the No. 2 job to Clemens in such a big game says a lot about his faith in him. (It also says a lot about Ramsey, who soon will be an ex-Jet.) If the unthinkable had occurred - a Pennington injury before the fourth quarter - the Jets' season (and playoff hopes) would have been in the hands of a rookie.

"I kept my helmet a little closer," Clemens said.

Mangini has done a nice job of handling the quarterback situation, supporting Pennington and never seriously considering a change during his starter's six-week slump. Without Pennington, the offense would be dysfunctional. You could make a strong argument that, despite mediocre numbers, he's the team MVP.

But next year, he won't be the only ace in the hole.

The Clipboard

Hot Seat: Rookie LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The quiet giant has to play a lot better than last week.

X's and O's: It'll be tough sledding against the Vikings, who yield only 54 rushing yards per game - the league's stingiest run defense since 1970.

Whispers: Laveranues Coles must be whispering to himself after not getting any balls in the second half of last week's loss. How does that happen?

Originally published on December 13, 2006

2. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I am glad to hear Kellen is coming along, but come on. He moved up the rankings against Patrick Ramsey who is absolutely horrible. Once Kellen started to get a comfort zone with the offense it was a no brainer to move him up to 2nd string. Hopefully he will make next years QB battle interesting.

3. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Provided Chad starts all 16 regular season games this year - to prove he can, if nothing else - I'm happy to see Kellen come in after a quarter of next year.

4. JETSimpala

JETSimpala New Member

"they believe he has Pennington-like intangibles, except with a better arm."

This is what I think is the most important factor in putting Clemens. We know he has it physically (a better arm, and not afraid to run out of the pocket), but can he pick apart the defense and create audibles on the line like Pennington? If he can handle these situations properly, then he will have the upper-hand this upcoming off-season.

5. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of Clemens? Do you really think he can come in next year and be good? Or will it be like the Broncos playing Cutler this year?

6. JETSimpala

JETSimpala New Member

Cutler is a rookie. Coming in during their rookie season is always tough, especially for a quarterback. Everything is faster, the defense is much more physical and athletic than the college ranks, so it will be tough to adapt. Everyone had to expect Cutler was definately going to struggle.

Clemens has a handful of learning starting now. Like I said before, he does have it physically, but he needs to develop mentally.

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I'm sure by putting Clemens in for the last few plays against the Bills did wonders for him and his ego , getting slammed to the floor to get him some playing time, pricks.
    I'm not sold on Clemens and whilst I know hasn't had the oppertunity , still wonder why so many teams didn't want to take a chance on him. IMO he not the future.

8. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

That was an awful article...there were no legit sources. I cant take that seriously if hes just making that all up. His only source was from another AFC coach who said something that barely had anything to do with the writers point