Reality Check: Jets can pass the ball

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

No need to run every down when your QB proves that he can handle the offense.

2. MeanGreens08

MeanGreens08 Member

The biggest thing that helps the passing game is that the Jets probably have one of the best group of YAC receivers in the league. Stuckey and Cotch have already proven to be capable. And if Brad Smith ever caught anything he would be a threat as well.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Its a passing league that's why we gave up shit to get a QB.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I dunno, the wildcat is here to stay. Did you see all the running the dolphins did the other day? They dominated the game on the ground, held the ball for more than 3/4 of the game! Who needs to pass?

5. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

And the Dolphins lost the game. With a 3:1 edge in time of possession. I agree that a strong running game can keep the score down, reduce your opponents opportunities on offense, and wear down the defense; but you still need to make plays in the passing game at some point.

6. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

It's the running game that allows him to be able to handle the offense right now. Play action. And lots of protection...that's why you don't see a 3rd/4th WR on the field too much, put in extra blockers.

I have to say I didn't expect a start like this, figured there'd be some growing pains, but clearly I was wrong. Hopefully Sanchez can keep it going.

Loving Sanchez' 3rd down conversion rate!

7. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I don't know how many defensive coordinators will agree with you on that. Sanchez has shown he can read coverages well and has an arm that is capable of making most any throw he'll be required to. However Sanchez hasn't yet taken the entire offense on his back and shown he can play in that regard. I don't think there are actually very many QBs that can do this, but since Sanchez is a rookie the goal of most opposing defensive coordinators is probably going to be centered around putting more of the game on Mark Sanchez and less on the running game.

I do think this WR corps is good for him in that their strength is the short passing game and picking up YAC. The downside is I don't think they are the most dynamic group of pass-catchers.

Either way, I don't think this is the week to see if Sanchez can run the show offensively. Save that approach for the Saints, not this Titans/Oilers secondary.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He was being sarcastic. Your post was his point.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why on earth would anybody want to put the ball in a rookie QB's hands? We had one of the best QBs ever last year and look at what happened. I am sure Ryan called out the OL after the Patriots game because he wants to run more and not less.

10. abyzmul

They've already put the ball in the rookie QB's hands and it worked. Twice.

I don't think the OP is saying that we need to abandon the run and rest it all on Sanchez. This thread is a reaction to the other one with a similar title. I think he means that when the opposing defense is heavy on the run, as they have the past 2 weeks, our rookie QB is able to take advantage of the unbalanced defensive attack.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

considering the Titans secondary can't cover anyone, i'd let Sanchez throw it around.

the smart thing would be to pass more in this game. The mangina move would be to run it, because they'd never expect it.

12. Quack

Quack New Member

Brad Smith had a bunch of huge blocks and got two bad passes that weren't really catchable in the Pats game.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, sort of..he should have had 3 picks in game 1 but two were dropped.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Yup.

The rook has looked fine so far. It's time to give him the ball more on early downs. That will open up the run game for more consistent gains too.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

When I read the title of this thread, I imagined Herm Edwards saying it at a press conference. "You play to win the game! Hello! You play to win the game."

16. crypter

crypter New Member

Our offense is still a work in process . Don't over load the kid and we will be fine until we can get some more toys to play with for him .

17. abyzmul

If's and but's are useless when the final score is announced. He made a few rookie mistakes in his first game, and didn't make any like that in game 2. I look at it as a lesson he was able to learn without having to pay the price of an INT.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, the Titans are allowing 1.9 yards an attempt on the ground and 8.8 yards in the air. If the Jets don't take advantage of that it will be an error. Sanchez should throw the ball on 1st down about two thirds of the time this week.

19. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

It's worth pointing out that a good portion of Sanchez's best throws have come off of the play action. Even when the Jets running game has been 2 yards and a cloud of dust, it's helped Sanchez buy time and space to make plays.

On a related note, I just want to say how thrilled I've been with Schottenheimer's play calling through the first 2 weeks. I've been one of his biggest critics over the past few years but I think that he is handling his rookie quarterback perfectly.

20. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Sanchez has been great so far but this Titans game, he's going to have to connect on the long ball for the Jets to win.