question...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by beastindamiddle51, Apr 14, 2006.

1. beastindamiddle51

beastindamiddle51 New Member

does anyone remember who and when the last time a greatly predicted #1 pick (like we have this year in bush) for some reason did not go first and fell into the top five instead? just wondering. as much as a shocker it would be if the texans dont trade out of #1 and dont pick Bush, has something like this ever happend before?

2. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Last year.
    Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith were both projected to be the #1 pick with the 49ers.
    When the 9ers took Smith, Rodgers fell into the 20's.

3. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

yeah, I felt so bad for the kid. He was in the green room for hours.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Yeah about 2 hours...the first round usually takes 3-4 hours

5. nyjballandbeer51

nyjballandbeer51 New Member

Worked out well for the Packers though didn't it?!

6. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

So much so that they might take a chance on Vince Young or Jay Cutler with the #5

7. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding New Member

That QB crap from last year is nowhere close to being the same. First, when 2 guys are said to be the projected #1 obviously one will fall. And at no time last year did they talk about either of these guys being the next big anything or unlike any player to come out of the draft in a decade. It would be GREATLY unprecedented if Bush were to fall. ANY number of spots.

8. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

I agree that Bush not being taken #1 would be an unprecedented shocker ,and I've been watching the draft for almost 20 years. Aaron Rodgers and Warren Sapp are the only 2 examples I can think of off the top of my head of a player who,very close to draft time, was predicted to go in the top 3 or 4,but then subsequently dropped to the middle of the round.In '95 I was hoping Sapp would fall to the Jets after his supposed positive pot test.Of course he did,but the rest is typical Jets history(thanks Kotite!) .In Rodgers' case,I think it was more the sudden rise of Alex Smith than it was Rodgers' stock dropping.

#8 ToonWalker, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  9. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I don't feel bad for Rogers at all. He's still a multi-millionaire at 22 or 23 yrs old. Waah. I'd be pissed if that happened to me though. But quite honestly, I don't think either Smith or Rogers were worth a #1 pick.

I don't remember a player of Reggie Bush's caliber falling like you say. If you remember last year, there were a lot of people questioning both Smith and Rogers. There's not a single person that seems to doubt Bush. You might find a no-name sports guy somewhere saying they doubt him just because he'll be the only one that does so he can get some exposure, but anyone who's anyone all agree that Bush is worthy of the #1 pick.

10. realdealramsey

realdealramsey New Member

Plus it was pretty clear pre-draft what SF was going to do. The only surprise was how far Rodgers fell.

11. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding New Member

Yes, Bush seems to be rare air and no hype has equaled this in my memory but I have to ask: Is he THAT special? I may be the only one on this or any site that is not overly impressed. Yes, he is good. Great, maybe, but we are talking about the minor league here. IF(duh) he is picked at 1 will he return kicks? Will he return punts? Since he won't be ours I will not go through the trouble of looking up his coll. stats but I can't help but wonder what percentage of his #'s are Spec. teams #'s.

12. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Kyle Brady worked out much better

#12 GWjet, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2005
  13. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

After being fired by the Jets,notice how Kotite fell off the face of the earth. No coaching or coordinator offers,no analyst gigs,no selling hot dogs at games,no anything. The most inept,clueless head coach in NFL history. I know he's the guy that gave Chrebet his shot,which is commendable. But come on...he's also the mental midget who wanted to take O'Dwyer instead of Hugh Douglas with the Jets' second 1st-rounder in '95. Fortunately the Jets' FO didn't listen....and got O'Dwyer anyway in the 2nd round.

14. Calz

Calz New Member

If anyone is interested, Kotite lives in Castleton Corners on Staten Island (a few blocks from me) - I catch him buying pizza often by a place by my house (that's all there is on SI is pizza). Nonetheless he still has baloney boobs.