POLLL: So how did the Jets do in 2024 Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 27, 2024.

?

How do you grade 2024 Draft?

1. A+ to A-

9.9%
  2. B+ toB-

72.5%
  3. C+ to C-

13.2%
  4. D+ to D-

4.4%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Don't take the easy way out. We know it is too early to judge the players before they take a snap. BUT we still can judge based on pre-draft projections, strategy etc.

Still 4 months to go before Training Camp. No reason not to speculate about past draft on paper.

I give this Draft B+

Loved the first 2 rounds and liked the trade down for 2025 draft pick but didn't like only picking 1 player in 4th round.

What are your thoughts?

barfolomew and tomdeb like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I am so happy with the first 3 picks that I don't care what he did in the rest of the draft. It was disappointing to only draft once in the 4th round, but getting two fifths and a 3rd next year was great. That 3rd next year will help when we've lost quite a few players to FA and don't have the cap space to sign all their replacements. If I'd had my druthers, he'd have taken an IOL and Jaden Hicks, but as Colorado says, JD and the Jets have a lot of info that we don't have, and there may have been a good reason that they didn't take Hicks or an IOL. Maybe they were overrated by the media, so I'm not going to complain. I think Fashanu, Corley and Allen can help this team a lot. I'm rooting for Qwantez Stiggers. The kid has talent and heart.

Why no "Welcome to the Jets" for the last several draft picks?

barfolomew, Borat, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm not real inspired by this draft--I like the 4th rd Allen as I feel he can contribute something unique.

I like the 3rd round pickup next year.

mezzavo likes this.
  4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I must have missed that--we picked up an additional 2 2025 5th rounders?

5. Brook!

NC

I had guests. Why don't you do us a favor and start a welcome thread for them? :)

6. NCJetsfan

No JD traded down with one of the 4th round picks they had and in return he got two 5th round picks this year AND a 3rd round pick in 2025. He used one of the 5ths to take RB Isaiah Davis and the other to take CB Qwantez Stiggers. He traded up to get another 5th round pick and used that to take QB Jordan Travis.

SOJAZ and IDFjet like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I'll be happy to! Enjoy your guests! Thanks for all you do here, my friend!

Brook! likes this.
  8. Brook!

Thanks NC. :)

9. NCJetsfan

You're welcome! Any time!

Brook! likes this.
  10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Not a sexy draft, but overall plenty of value where we took guys.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I thought the first 4 four picks were great, but the last 3 were disappointing. Craig, I think you and I twice expressed prior to day 2 that the jets should try to get WR Corley. Could be the steal of the draft.

Really surprised by the 5th round selection of RB Davis from South Dakota State. I live in the midwest and SDSU has gone 29-1 the last two years.
    Davis was productive in college, but he had a massive OL in front of him that just overpowered the opposition. One of his OL was drafted in the 4th round this year.
    Davis is not really that fast, and I was surprised the jets reached for him after taking a RB a pick sooner.

Also surprised by CB Stiggers in late round 5 when I thought more talented players there and greater need at other positions. Starting to think that Douglas is looking ahead to the fact that RB Hall, CB Sauce, DE Johnson, and WR Wilson will all likely have contracts due at about the same time. Perhaps Douglas is already thinking he can't resign them all, and that is why he took 2 RBs and a CB when they were not that great of need positions. Just speculation on my part.
    I gave his draft a B plus because I really liked OL in round 1 , Corley, Allen, and Travis. Last 3 picks I would have preferred someone else.

SOJAZ, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of complimentary pieces to me, no real showstoppers. Not terrible, just odd for a win now team. Maybe JD knows we aren’t ready to win now and drafted accordingly.

13. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

Overall good but two rb is a surprise. Let’s see if isiah sees the field or not.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

First at bat, the pitcher threw a grapefruit and Joe knocked a blooper over short. The rest of the game was small ball and the Jets may have won but it was ugly.

Dierking and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If you're basing the eval on which season these kids were drafted for, if we're talking '25-26 I would give JD an B. If we're talking '26-27, B+. Not sure who will be drafting next season as it will depend on the '24-25 season.

16. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I gave this draft a D+

Anthony in round 1 was a layup. The rest...eh...

I kind of tuned out as I was watching the draft ticker roll by and there were next to no Jets picks. Teams wheeling and dealing all over the place and the Jets kind of ho hummed it along. JD must really think he's going to be here past this year. O.A.F. is not year 1 starter material so if he ends up starting then something happened. I probably shouldn't have bothered watching this year. Bored to tears...

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

If we're not ready to win now, then Joe needs to be relieved of his GM duties. He's had 5+ years now. We should not be in rebuild mode anymore. He's had 5+ years to build the roster, has a future Hall of Fame QB, there's no excuses left for Douglas anymore.

18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I can't grade a JD draft in a vacuum. The reality is he said in his first press conference that he was going to build from the trenches. We're now up to thirty Olinemen under his watch. THIRTY, and we're still crossing our fingers and looking for depth.
    While some are praising the Fashanu pick (JD's second shot at drafting a franchise left tackle) I'm asking myself how we got here in the first place.

19. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I have the same feeling I get when I spend money on a wedding gift, get all dressed up, drive to the ceremony and get there on time. Yay, I guess. After which I’ll sit and grumble until it’s time to drink, and then spend the next 24-months hoping I didn’t just waste money on something destined to fail.

mezzavo, Dierking and NOVAJET like this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree on that…we have to win now. 5 years is enough rebuilding. We have some pieces now if AR can stay healthy and perform I think our offense should be good.

I love the first 3 picks as well…we got the OT, a WR (though more of a catch a short pass and run type guy than a guy who can run routes all over the field, but I think that skillset will definitely help and complements GW and MW well. Also like the power back in round 4.

After that, I was a bit confused by their approach…I don’t know enough about the players to know if any are any good or not, but strategically, it was odd. I didn’t love trading out of round 4 so much…I would have preferred to package those later picks and move up to get a guy that can play. JD went the opposite way. I thought it was bad value to slide down for only a 6th rounder, but I do love the trade for next years’ 3rd rounder so that was good. As I’ve said in other threads, while I love the IDEA of drafting developmental QBs, in actual PRACTICE, we’ve sucked at that for 60 years…haven’t developed shit. I like the intangibles on the kid we took, but 5th round QBs hardly ever pan out and he looks small to me in the highlights I saw. Not impossible and hard to measure heart, so I can’t help but root for him, and he can sit behind AR for a year or two to learn, so I get it. If he develops into even a decent backup that can hold that down for us, that’d be a great outcome. Anything more would be gravy.

I was disappointed that we didn’t draft extra help for OL and WR…don’t understand double dipping at RB at all…you can get those guys in free agency…I get the first pick don’t get the second. Would’ve preferred a double dip at OL/WR much more. Also I though we should have drafted a S and a DT earlier as well…I see we signed some of those positions in undrafted free agents, so clearly with all the trade downs, feels like JD didn’t love the depth in his draft…kinda feels like he thought they were all pretty much the same so why not trade down. But the position choices felt a bit odd to me.

I do really love the first three picks, and if they deliver, we’ve done a world of good this weekend.