Playbook adjustments?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CaneJet, Aug 8, 2008.

1. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

OK. My mourning period is over and I'm moving on. If I tolerated this team through Bubby Brister and Rick Mirer, I'm sure I can root for it now...

I wonder how much of the playbook will change with Favre at the helm. Do you dumb it down because he's new? Does anybody know if he ever called the plays with the Packers at any time? I always think that's a big advantage to an offense.

I think Schottenheimer, Daboll, and Callahan will sit down with Brett and allow him to pick the plays. Hopefully Brett can even help design some new ones.

A guy like him could probably play the game just drawing up the plays in the huddle on the fly. The more the CS takes advantage of that, the better.

2. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

You obviously change the playbook a little, and certainly make it a lot simpler for the first few games, but Favre certainly wont be calling his own plays early in the season. Not until he knows the terminology a hundred percent and has a good flow in the offense.

3. johnny_blood

johnny_blood New Member

Great thread, this is what I'm really interested in!

Brett called a lot of plays at the line. Both audibling into a new play, and just giving a WR "a look" to communicate a new pattern. If you watch the touchdown pass where he broke Marino's record, Brett read the defense and glanced over to Jennings to communicate a new route, but everyone else stayed with the original play.

Favre is a master at reading defenses and though it won't work right away, I hope by the middle of the season he is able to do those sorts of things with the Jets.

Favre is also one of the best practitioners of the West Coast Offense ever, so I'm interested in whether your playbook has a lot of WCO elements? I really haven't seen much of the Jets.

#3 johnny_blood, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  4. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

the playbook will change alot because with pennington at the helm every play more then 10 yards was basically thrown away whereas favre can spread the field

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Bubba Franks is going to pay huge dividends over the next 3 weeks.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/jets/2008-08-08-favre-arrives_N.htm

6. johnny_blood

johnny_blood New Member

I forgot about Bubba! That's great.

7. Ray

Ray New Member

Bubba is a good guy, but he is really slow.

It was never said out loud, but rumored that MM got upset with Favre for calling too many of his own plays. One thing about Favre, he is coachable, but definetely has the confidence to do his own thing.

Have heard him say many times, that he thinks he can score every single time he has the ball. he really believes that, and that is the key to his many brilliant plays, and his many bone headed ones. He will always go down swinging, and doesn't care how bad that makes him look.

8. johnny_blood

johnny_blood New Member

As long as Favre has a decent roster, he makes way more good plays than bad. It's risk/reward, he will never be a game manager. Sure he has more INTs than the other top QBs of all time---but a better TD:INT ratio than most of them, too!

He made a lot of marginally talented teams very good. His stats were bad in 05 when we were destroyed by injuries and had almost no talent because the long-term effects of Sherman as GM were becoming evident. He could have managed those games, and maybe he should have, but he'd rather go for the comeback and risk throwing a dozen extra picks in those blowouts rather than shut the offense down. That's his way, and it's not a problem as long as you have some talent around him. It looks like the Jets have some talent so I see no problem.

#8 johnny_blood, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  9. Ray

Ray New Member

Only 1 losing season in 16 years, and like Blood said, that team destroyed by injuries and Sherman's horrible management.

Favre knew they had no chance that year to score, unless he flung it around, so he did. He didn't care about his statistics.

10. IATA

IATA Trolls

Lots of short passes. Franks will be a Pro Bowler again.

Brett will be calling most all of his own plays by week 8. He should be comfortable enough in the system to understand what he has to work with by then.

11. johnny_blood

johnny_blood New Member

Franks needs to turn it around on his own, Favre can't turn him back into a Pro Bowler. Franks was not a good receiver his last few years with Favre. He was still a good blocker.

I'm hoping Bubba does it, though.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

If Favre has been calling his own plays throughout his career the CS shouldn't have any problems with it as long as he's getting the job done. I mean, he's been fairly successful over the years, no?

It's really starting to sound like the GB FO just wanted their guy in there to me. They have absolute control over what Rodgers does.

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Third down pass plays will be thrown past the first down marker. Passes outside the hash marks that aren't wide reciever screens will be added in and the TD via the pass will be part of the playbook from anywhere on the field.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

lol - excellent.

15. Fan4Favre

Fan4Favre New Member

There was a time when Bubba was very dangerous in the red zone with Favre. Good to see Bubba is there translating for Favre.

16. IATA

IATA Trolls

Bubba will make this transition infinetly quicker for Brett. I imagine the fact that we have Bubba was a factor in Brett coming here, altho not a huge one...

17. Ray

Ray New Member

Bingo, we have a winner. They couldn't 100% control Favre, they will have no such trouble with the man Packer fans call A-Rod.:rofl:::pats_suck:

18. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

This thread really interests me because I really believe the key to success will be the "length of total transition time" and "team chemistry time"

I know there is no perfect answer to these questions but I am curious as to how long you folks think it will take for:

A) Brett get the play book down enough to feel comfortable with ? I know Bubba said three weeks and IATA feels eight weeks but how does everyone else feel ?

B) And if this is the case, at which point of the season does everyone expect the offensive part of the team start to gell to the point of being serious competition ?

All opinions much appreciated.

19. IATA

IATA Trolls

I think he'll be comfortable with the system long before week 8, but I think thats really the point at which he makes this team HIS team, ya know?

20. Ray

Ray New Member

Not sure exactly how long, but won't be instantly. Favre just said today that team chemistry is the most important thing to be successful. He is coming in cold.