Pay Revis now....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Sep 17, 2012.

1. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Today showed how much we really need Revis on this D. So fuck with all that trade Revis shit. If we can pay Sanchez we can damn sure pay Revis what he is worth.

2. NFL

NFL Active Member

Agree. Even though I'm not too upset with this last game.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Revis is a shutdown corner, there aren't too many like him in the league. With that said Cromartie and Wilson for the most part was solid.

But anyway yes the Jets need to pay Revis, for as solid a job as Cro and Wilson did, neither one of them takes away a side of the field like Revis does. His presence makes life easier for the front 7 and the safetys.

4. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

I would be willing to go to about 13.5 million per year. I think 15 is too much even though he is so valuable

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Mike Wallace absolutely destroyed Cromartie

Our best corner today was Ellis "Island" Lankster

also there is no one like Revis in the NFL no one, Revis takes away an entire half of the field no other player has the kind of impact on a side of the ball

pay this man

6. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

I think he would be happy as long as he the highest paid CB and he should be.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

really Mike Wallace had that one big catch for a TD. Outside of that it wasn't like Wallace was torching Cromartie left and right. He had a few short catches here and there. But Cromartie is not on the level of Revis and I think you Jets fans are so spoiled by Revis that whenever a receiver catches a pass or does something then it's viewed as the corner played horrible.

8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I watched so many corners get tore up today that I will not wanna lose Revis for anything

also 5 for 74 and a crucial TD which Cro 1 over ran and too watched him come down with killed, us Revis not only stops him but pushes him out while he's in the air so there's no doubt that its an incomplete pass

Cromartie is good when he can gamble part of that is having good help over the top but having Lankster and Wilson allows teams to spread us out thus making it harder to cover guys

9. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I just dread the day if Revis leaves the Jets (or once he retires). It's completely insane how valuable he is.

10. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Last I checked, Revis is one man and he can only cover 1 guy at a time. Wallace had 74 yds receiving today, but Brown had 77.

Go ahead, take wallace away. Guess what ? We probably still would have lost. Then again, we had Revis last year and lost 8 games.

I think Revis is phenomenal, but the problem is that it's stupid to pay ONE MAN on defense THAT MUCH money as it makes it difficult, if not impossible to have really good players at other positions as well.

Look at the really good defenses across the NFL. Which of them have guys making HUGE contracts ? The Steelers don't. The 49'ers don't. Don't think the Ravens do either. (Don't get distracted by single year cap hits due to signing bonuses.).

Trade Revis for picks. Trade those picks for very solid defenders at a number of defensive positions and use his salary to pay them, and/or draft players to replace him and upgrade other positions.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Not having Revis has a cripple down effect. Cro was ok. He gave up that TD to Wallace which should have been a pick if it was Revis. The difference is right there. We gave up several third down conversions. Our pass D was atrocious today. Not sure how anyone can claim our top two corners were solid. We sucked all around in the passing game. We took some very poor angles to take down Ben out of all the QBs. Just a bad game overall. However, I expected a loss against Steelers so Im not too bummed about it. We were without our best defender and without our top receiver (Keller).

12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Those teams were built through the draft where you don't pay a ton of salary. Jets D is only now starting to have players up front via draft. We need LB that contribute IMMEDIATELY via draft. That will solve our cap problems.

As for your comparisons with other Ds, Jets were the #1 D in 2009, and a top 5 D the last three seasons. We've always had the top paid corner, pretty much the entire time throughout. That voids your point. Revis is as important to this D as a QB is to a top flight passing attack. If the front 7 compliments the secondary, then the secondary also compliments the front 7. They both go hand in hand. You can't ignore either one.

13. 818JET

818JET New Member

big reason we lost today is because we couldnt tackle. but yes, pay the man!

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

[​IMG]

Sorry, not trying to be a dick. Just pointing out that half the stuff u said didn't make sense.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

That too. We were lucky we didn't get burnt like last week for big runs, but we had a lot of missed tackles and missed sack opportunities. I know Ben is a strong QB to bring down, but we had some clean shots at him and still missed.

If you wanna see missed tackles, watch the Raiders/Dolphins game. Raiders D was as pathetic as the Jets D in the first half of the AFCCG against Steelers.

16. Demosthenes9

Look at it this way. Two of the best defenders for the Steelers sat this game out and their defense still kicked our ass. On top of that, I don't think a single player on their defense makes over $8 mil per year.

The problem is that we have a huge amount of talent in 1 freaking guy, and a salary to match, while they have good talent spread across their whole entire defense.

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

We have a lot of salary tied up in to aging LBs (Pace and Scott). They are average LBs at best today. We can find some excellent talent for $16 mil at those two spots that can generate more pressure.

After watching today's game, I just don't think Jets D can survive without Revis. Even if Revis leaves, someone will have to be signed to be our #1 or #2 CB and he will demand probably around $8 mil a year. Revis will probably be signed for $12-14 mil a year. The difference of 4-6 mil is actually well earned by Revis.

Steelers D played a heck of a game, but they were overly aggressive today. A few penalties were called on them while I think there were still other plays where they should have been flagged for PI (Yeah, we had that one phantom PI, but refs missed the PI call on the pass to Hill in the EZ when the defended hit Hills hand split second earlier). The dropped passes certainly should not be credited to Steelers D.

18. Demosthenes9

I guess we are looking at two different things really. As the defense is currently constructed, Revis being out definitely hurts.

I'm looking more towards the future. If we sign Revis to anything close to what he wants, that makes it much more difficult to have good quality players in other positions on the Defense.

And I'm sorry, but having a great CB is nowhere near as important as having a great QB. It's not even close. CB covers 1 man on the field at a time. QB is more of a threat all over the field. It's not even close.

19. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Im not comparing Revis to a QB. Im comparing Revis' importance to OUR D as a QBs importance to a passing game. Of course, Revis only covers one, but you saw the effect if we don't have Revis. Our entire D is based around Revis. Without Revis, Cro has to cover #1, Wilson covers #2 and Lankster covers #3 WR. Its just not the same. Lankster will get picked. He's not a slot corner (although I don't know where he lined up today as we couldn't stop the pass and I was too pissed to see which corner was effing up all day). Ben had a terrible OL, yet he found open receivers the entire game. Even when we had some excellent coverage on the guys, their guys made some plays while our receivers dropped everything while covered, plus a few while relatively open.

20. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Don't pay him no mind. He knows nothing about the Jets he only here because he a Tebow nut. Most of them don't have a clue how our team is built.