OC candidates if Gailey is let go.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Garycs, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Garycs

Garycs Member

I hope Gailey stays. He's been the best coordinator the Jets have had in a long time. He made Fitzpatrick a bunch of money twice. It does sound like he will be the scapegoat so Jet fans will start clamoring for Norv Turner, Mike McCoy who knows some may even want Chip Kelley. The fact is that high profile coordinators want to go where there is a QB in place. That leaves the Jets out. I do think there are 2 names to keep an eye on. Ken Whisenhunt coached with Bowles when they were on Parcels staff. I think he would be a very solid choice. The other, and more likely candidate in my opinion, is current WR coach Karl Dorrell. He's been a college head coach, and an NFL WR's coach, QB coach and NFL coordinator. His back round really is with Sahanahan and Kubiak. We will see pretty shortly.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Jets shouldn't hire anyone until they've seen what happens with O'Brien first. No reason they can't change their mind on Bowles if he became available.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Hack had his best year under BO"B

NYJetsO12 and xxedge72x like this.
  4. xxedge72x

Exactly. Who better to work with the kid? Also he already has a relationship with Maccagnan too...

5. matt robinson 17

Don't know if he would settle for offensive cood

6. xxedge72x

I'd hire him as HC.

Jets have done way worse than lie about keeping incumbent HC.

7. matt robinson 17

That works for me or tell him he is the heir apparent

xxedge72x likes this.
  8. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

What's the point of replacing Chan Gailey when they'll just end up firing Bowles and his whole staff a year from now after another 5-11 season?

Goddamn, this franchise is retarded.

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Agreed. No OC or DC worth anything will work for a "dead man walking" HC. It's a one year gig. Brilliant! Retaining Bowles makes no sense after he completely lost the locker room.

Jetmart15, Jeremy2020 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

This is very interesting. So I am betting on Dorrell.
    Two reasons:
    1. This could be Bowels last yr. So who is going to want to join staff? Dorrell already on staff
    2. Probably easier on Hackenburg development

SonofDinger likes this.
  11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I'm trying to temper my expectations -- is O'Brien on the hot seat? Trying not to get hopeful. Because, you know, us Jets fans can't have nice things...

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

If Bill O'Brian gets fired in HOU I would love to have him as OC just because of Hackenberg.

Other than him, Mike McCoy.

NYJetsO12 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I want Gailey gone and replaced with O'Brien (preferreably if available) or McCoy. A caveat for the OC position would be the chance to be HC (albeit an interim basis) as we need a contingency plan if the team comes out flat for the first 4 games of 2017 and we decide to fire Bowles early-midseason. We simply cannot go through another full season like 2016, particularly if Bowles doesnt correct his shortcomings.

SonofDinger likes this.
  14. matt robinson 17

But are the Texans that stupid, I know who Hack is rooting for

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Who's currently the best QB coach in the league? Offer him the OC spot.

Jets69 likes this.
  16. Joe Willie White Shoes

If O'Brien is fired, you hire him immediately - as the new Head Coach!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Joe Willie White Shoes

He becomes the top HC candidate for the entire NFL.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from, but if Hack has regressed, then that's on Gailey and Patullo. The point would be in bringing in an OC and QB Coach who could help Petty and Hack develop, and hopefully more quickly than they have. In that way, even if Bowles and his staff are fired, the Jets might have two capable young QBs. Otherwise, if Gailey and Patullo stay, both Petty and Hack may not reach their potential.

There's something to be said for consistency of system and approach and Petty/Hack having to learn a new system, but maybe this system isn't an ideal fit for one or both, and they'd fare better in a different system.

The other thing is that changes have to be made in order for the Jets to try to turn things around. Things obviously didn't work well this season. Blame has to be fixed somewhere, and if Bowles isn't going to be held accountable, someone else has to be. While I think Rodgers and Boyer did a much worse job than Gailey, since Rodgers is a friend of Bowles, I'll be surprised if he's fired. Who knows about Boyer? Supposedly, Gailey and Bowles don't see eye-to-eye on things from an offensive perspective. Bowles had to tell Gailey to start using the TE position more this season. Gailey would get too pass happy at times, and his play calling was bizarre at times. His play design is excellent, and the players failed to execute properly a lot, but still, I can understand the idea of firing Gailey, even though he is the best OC we've had in a long time.

Bowles can't be a lame duck HC. He has to be allowed to make whatever moves he feels necessary to try to improve things and to save his job; otherwise, Woody should just go ahead and fire him.

#18 NCJetsfan, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Easily. Not sure why Houston would fire him either with back to back playoff appearances with the same QB production we got this year.

GreenfiendNYJ and gajetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You definitely have a point, and it may not be their first choice, but if O'Brien and/or McCoy aren't offered HC or OC jobs elsewhere, then I would think they'd accept the Jets job and try to rehabilitate their image rather than sitting at home for a year. Also, as someone else mentioned, if either is hired as Assistant HC and is given the assurance that if Bowles winds up getting fired during the middle of next season, he would not only be the interim HC, but would be given strong consideration as the next HC, it might be enough.

Then again, he would have to be hired before FA and the draft, and with the Jets' OL and QB situation, sitting at home might be much more attractive than having to deal with Woody and the mess he has created.