New York Jets Interested in TE Pettigrew

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Mar 26, 2009.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/new_york_jets_interested_in_ok.html

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If I can ever find the post where I said I never liked Nicks I'd pat myself on the back and say I told you so. I just never had faith in that kid, and Harvin I never wanted. So I like that news. :) Here's one:http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=1136887&postcount=2

Pettigrew would be just like another receiver, but who could also seal off the edge and be a the best red zone threat for the offense. He's been compared to Jason Witten. Imagine Keller, who is in the Dallas Clark mold and Pettigrew who is in the Jason Witten mold... I'd take it, while getting a receiver in the later rounds. Yes, there are needs in other places, and I'd like the QB situation to be addressed or even the trenches, but let's just discuss this scenario since its new.

Yes Coach Ryan, this offense is good to groom a young inexperienced kid, but it better be the right kid. He better be a leader and a master at the 2 minute drill.

#2 NDmick, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling we might go TE.

If you watched the Ravens last year, they played a lot of power football. This included many jumbo sets that had 3 TE's.

I actually mentioned this in a post last month, I think this would give the offense awesome flexibility. They would be able to shift Keller all over the field, while still having a good blocking TE (AND, a threat to catch the balls as well).

This wouldn't surprise me. This draft is deep at wideout, so they could get 1st round talent in round 2.

4. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Pettigrew will be a stud in this league. Unlike a lot of the elite TE prospects the last few years, Pettigrew is an excellent blocker. I'm a big fan of double TE sets. Putting Keller and Pettigrew out there would create some matchup nightmares as both guys are dangerous receivers.

I'd rather take Pettigrew rather than Hakeem "Snacks" Nicks

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

So New York, New York now becomes Tight End, Tight End ...

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

why remind us?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

We want Sapp

7. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

I can see the need I just feel so unexcited when a TE is picked in 1st round.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They may he hoping in slides to the 2nd because of the trouble he had. I can't see them taking him at 17 no matter what. They don't need another Keller and blocking TEs can be found later.

#8 Don, Mar 26, 2009
  9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think i agree with the TE scenario.
    I mean we are in DESPERATE need at that position and we haven't seen much action in the FA market. It seems to make sense that it would be addressed in the draft.
    While we obviously do have other areas of need i don't see any as dier as TE. After Keller who is really a "tweener" we've got nobody.
    I personally think it was a mistake letting Baker go.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

but what if he's another Jason Witten?

Then he has to be taken at 17. He's not leaving the 1st round.

#10 NDmick, Mar 26, 2009
  11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They might but it seems they have much bigger needs that picking two 1st round TEs in a row. They don't have a legitimate QB. They don't have a #1 receiver and their starting RB is getting old. I don't think TE is where they need to be looking.

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

So is this a sign they are taking that kid Maclin? I just don't see them drafting another TE in the first round.

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

177? so sixth round?

jk

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No tight ends in the first...

15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd consider Jared Cook if he's around in the 2nd since he's a TE/WR hybrid type, but other than him I don't want to see TE until the later rounds..

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

it's a little early to say that, don't you think? revisit this 2-3-4 years down the road and see what happens.

17. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

At this point, if Maclin or Moreno aren't available when we pick, I'd look to draft Vontae Davis or move out of that 17th spot.

Hell-to the-nizzo to Josh Freeman and Pettigrew.

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

You would still draft a corner with all that money tied up in Revis and Sheppard, plus Lowery and now Strickland?

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Where is Maryland's WR going to be drafted? He looks like a faster Coles.

20. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Shep is not a sure thing. Lowery is getting 4th round pick money and Strickland isn't getting "Asomugha" money. I'll admit, I don't really know what Strickland's contract looks like but he is still a nickle corner who isn't very fast. If Lito fails, we'll be back to square 1 with no corner to play opposite Revis. Who are we gonna plug in? Strickland? Lowery? Drew Coleman?

Now, if Lito works out, we'd have the best CB corps for years. We work on the DL/OLB next year and I can see us definetely being a top 5 defense for years to come. I wouldn't have a problem with that. Especially since Ryan doesn't think drafting a QB is necessary when he plans for opposing teams to score 10 points on us. And what offense can't outscore 10 points? Right?