My Updated 3 RD Mock

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Jabba the Jet, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

How's it Goin, fellas

Nice to have two first round picks, now let's see if we can make some hay :up:

Just posted my updated 3 RD Mock ... now you can curse me out :eek:hmy:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/GJH_Mock.cfm

#1 Jabba the Jet, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

If there is no trade movement with the top 4 picks, the Saints at #2, IMO, will determine the Jet's pic at #4. The Saints seem to be leaning toward Mario Williams or D'Brick. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Saints grab D'Brick to protect Brees...then Mario would be a no-brainer for Tangini. If the Saints take Mario.....we either take Hawk or trade down. I'm not too keen on taking a QB or OT with the #4 selection. I'd rather get a QB in a later Rd........Whitehusrt, Croyle, Martin or Meyer.

I'm thrilled we got a 1st rd for Abe....Kudos to Tanny and "sticking to his guns"...the guy has balls. The 29th pick there may be some nice options....Carpenter, Lawson, Wimbley, Pope, Mangold, even Cromartie.

BTW, very nice 3 rd Mock........needs for teams were thought out very well.

#2 WW85, Mar 23, 2006
  3. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I'm scared of Cutler. I don't think his rise up draft charts is natural and I'd shy away from selecting him.

4. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

hmm D'Brickashaw Ferguson falling to the Bills. Interesting choice there Jabba.

5. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

Jabba what about speculation that the Eagles are trying to trade up to get Haloti Ngata before the Bills or Lions get a shot at him?

Might just be spec but it might be true. Maybe they trade with the 49ers. Just a thought.

6. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

Jabba you still think Eric Winston is going to go in the first?

7. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

That couldn't have all been put in one post? Come one man

I think one of our first 3 picks has got to be O-Line, either center or tackle.
    It was easily the biggest need at the end of the season, and we have only lost players since.

#7 Rambo13, Mar 23, 2006
  8. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Yeah I think he's a late one because he plays a premium position {LT}

The knee seems to be fine ... Winston ran a 4.94 at 6' 6"/310 and that was the fastest time for an OT ... not that forty times matter very much for O-linemen, but it matters for Winston because he had knee surgery two years ago and it shows the knee must be feeling fine

Most folks will tell you it takes more than a year to come ALL THE WAY BACK from a torn ACL ... usually takes 18 months to two seasons before you are ALL THE WAY BACK ... 2005 was Winston's first season since the injury, he started slow but started to show his old form late in the season, and if he regains his prior form {completely} you have a heist late in RD 1 cause two years ago {prior to the injury} he was widely viewed as an ELITE LEFT TACKLE PROSPECT, almost in the same vein as Brick Ferguson

That's why I think he's still a 1, probably a late 1, and could be a steal in that spot

Worse case scenario he's an early two {very early}

JMO

9. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Duplicate Post

Sorry

#9 Jabba the Jet, Mar 23, 2006
  10. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of Cutler, so I will never agree with the pick of him at 4, however I am a big fan of the other picks for the Jets.

11. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

That's a very good Jets draft, I'd be happy with it.

12. Mr.Totality

Mr.Totality New Member

We need to build with the o-line. D'Brick #4, either MJG or Mangold @29 then maybe the other one at 36. Give curtis some running room and either QB some time.

Drafting a QB now is foolish considering the oter glaring holes

13. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

Jabba, love your work at DD and here, but I have some issues with this draft.

I don't see Cromartie going after Youboty and Joseph after what he did at the combine. Also, where is Jason Avant? You don't see him going in the top 3 rounds? There are some other noticeably missing players, but Avant is a clear 1st day player IMO, especially considering the WR class is so shallow this year.

14. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Thanks for the compliment, mangini ... much appreciated

As to the points you make here, I have to confess I hate this WR class ... worst I have seen in a generation ... and if you notice it's not just Avant, my entire day one projection reflects my feelings about this WR class ... other than Jackson and Holmes in RD 1 {and I don't even love them as 1st Rounders to be honest}, I think you can count the amount of WR's I projected on day one on one hand

Maybe it's just me, maybe I've been spoiled by some of the recent WR classes with so much SIZE and SKILL {and in many cases SIZE, SKILL and SPEED}, but compared to recent WR classes this class leaves me feeling mighty underwhelmed with the wideouts

Am I going too far by not projecting Avant and a few others on the cusp of day one actually going on day one?

I'm sure I am and I'll bet more wideouts go on day one than I projected, including Avant, but this was more a reflection of my low opinion of this wideout class and I probably took it to the extreme because we've been so spoiled in recent years

As for Cromartie, I love him and you may be right ... he may go higher than Joseph {and Youboty} and he may be a first RD Pick ... they all might be 1st RD Picks {and Jason Allen} ... my feelings about the DB's in this draft are the complete opposite of the wideouts, I see a class that is overflowing with outstanding DB prospects ... as such someone has to fall, likely more than one, so I picked Cromartie only because of his torn ACL last year ... but that could be way off because Cromartie certainly has 1st RD talent ... heck, if not for his torn ACL Antonio Cromartie would be challenging Mike Huff to be the first DB off the board, and at worse he'd be second behind Huff and in front of Jimmy Williams ... he's that good

#14 Jabba the Jet, Mar 23, 2006
  15. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

I'm a new poster, but have lurked for a while, here and at other Jet sites. I truly enjoy reading your stuff. It's clear you are a great (message board!) motivator and the posters around here love you.

I agree on your evaluation of both positions, WR and CB. I just think teams will reach b/c of need. I also think Avant can be special (not just b/c of my UM bias). Go Blue!
    --
    EDIT - Just saw info from Michigan's pro day. He ran a 4.8 second 40. EWWWW. He did have a cast on his hand though and they say he will run it again. But, he also ran the short shuttle in 4.19 and the three-cone drill in 7.02. In addition, he had a 35?-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-4 broad jump. And those are all solid numbers. His hands have also never been a question, except maybe now with the cast, ha.
    --
    In fact, the top tier CB depth is one reason I want to trade down from #4 to 7-10, if Mario Williams or Leinart isn't there (sorry I know you are a Cutler guy). If we get another top 40 pick, one of the top cb's will be there. Even if Huff, Hill, Youboty, and Joseph all go in the first round, there is still Marshall and Jennings, who are both really good. I can't see all 6 going in the first round, even though their talent probably deserves it.

As a Michigan fan, and considering Hermann (ARGH!) is now on the coaching staff, do you think the Jets could draft Pat Massey or Pierre Woods late? They will both be day 2 picks, maybe even UDFAs. They both have played in the 3-4 and have great size for those positions. Pat Massey is 6-5, 290 and Pierre Woods is 6-5, 250.

#15 JetsFan7817, Mar 23, 2006
  16. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

I think Pierre Woods will get drafted late and you're right, he's one of those DE/OLB tweeners the Steelers always snatch to play OLB in their 34 defense ... I'd be very happy if the Jets tabbed him late on day two because it's exactly the type of move that has a chance to pay big dividends ... at the least I believe Woods can provide quality depth as a 34 Rush OLB

Massey is a UDFA in my view, but he has the right size for 34 DE so that alone would make him a smart UDFA pickup if we can swing it ... send him to NFLE for a year, some team that plays a 34 defense, and see how he progresses at DE

#16 Jabba the Jet, Mar 23, 2006
  17. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

NO is not taking Mario Williams. They just let Howard walk on them because they have had a problem between their 3 DE's (Howard, Smith, Grant) and it is now finally resolved. Adding D'Brickashaw to add to the pick of RT Jamaal Brown last year will help stabalize a weak OL... or Hawk will give them a superhuman playermaker at LB.

Mario Williams is going to fall to us guys... unless Tennessee has a change of heart and doesn't want a QB anymore. If that happens then some guy named Matt Leinart will be there at 4...

18. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

no way no way that the packers will pick vernon davis no way in hell i will place 250 dollars on it

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty good, but...

-I doubt New Orleans takes a DE with Charles Grant and Will Smith starting.
    -I really feel you over-emphasize "workout warriors" such as Vernon Davis. Green Bay has no business going with a TE here with big needs in the Linebacking core. I don't see why Bubba Franks isn't sufficient...

20. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Saints are not taking Super Mario because it's not a need

Packers are not taking Duke Davis because it's not enough of a need

etc. etc etc.

Where does being a "GREAT PROSPECT" come into play?

Does it matter if someone is not an overwhelming need, but his ceiling is through the roof?

We're engaged in a pretty deep discussion on this topic on another board, I think maybe we should have it here as well ... it's about the many different philosophies one can use when attacking each selection, which gives you a number of options and hopfully allows you to maximize the value of your draft while paying attention to needs within reason

The draft is not all about needs and it's not all about BAP, it's also not all about "team fixing" as much as "team building" ... it's about a little of each, and more ... deploying each philosophy equally, depending upon which one can best assist you in maximizing the value of each individual selection and thus your draft as a whole

I'll tell you this fellas, and not because I'm smarter than anyone else {I'M NOT!!}, only because I've been at this long enough to know there are a number of different philosophies one can deploy when making his selections, all tried and true, all viable options, and "needs" is merely the tip of the iceberg, the most elementary understanding of the draft ... and if that's all one focuses on is glaring needs, you severely limit your options to a finite few and thus decrease the likelyhood of maximizing the value of your draft while simultaniously increasing the likeyhood that you will have a poor draft

I know you guys love the draft or you wouldn't visit this forum ... and I know you guys know the prospects or you wouldn't have much to say ... and I know you guys love football or none of this would matter to you ... I know you guys are smart, passionate, and chock full of valuable opinions or I wouldn't be here ... but at some point you have to think beyond "JUST NEEDS" and consider the many different philosophies or your options will remain limited

Break that comfort zone and expand your minds, you're certainly smart enough ... you have everything that it takes ... you know football, you love football, you invest the time to learn about the prospects, etc etc ... it's all there ... it's simply a matter of breaking the comfort zone and thinking outside the box

Think about BAP Vs Need

Think about Super Units

Think about the possiblity of addressing lesser needs with greater value

Think about when the value is close enough, razor thin, to opt for need over value

Think about when the grade disparity makes a prospect of lesser need the wiser choice over a prospect of greater need

Think about at what point a prospects upside is so massive that it becomes too risky to take a pass even if he's the least of your needs or no need at all

Think about how grades might differ on the same player, from team to team, depending upon the systems they employ

ETC ETC

Consider everything, don't limit yourselves ... take it all into account ... it gives you more options and it makes this whole "draftnik thing" that much more interesting and fun

This is not about agreeing with me or disagreeing with me ... believe me, it's not ... I'm not the least bit offended by that ... I understand how this works, it's an inexact science and fans will always have different points of view, that's part of the fun as well, I LOVE THAT WE CHALLENGE ONE ANOTHERS ASSUMPTIONS ... but at some point it has to be more than "I disagree because it's not an overwhelming area of need" ... IMO You Guys are cheating yourselves if that's only as far as you are willing to go

I only say this because I LIKE and RESPECT you fellas .. a great deal ... not to place myself above anyone else, try to sound smart, to put anyone down, or any other Jerkwad motive ... only because I like and respect you guys, love talkin draft with you fellas, and I'd like to discuss it on a deeper level than "JUST NEEDS" with folks who are more than equipped, and capable of taking it to another level