Michael Turner

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dayanksmp, Sep 19, 2006.

1. dayanksmp

dayanksmp New Member

I am very excited about how our team is doing and though I do think we need to give our running backs a chance...specifically Barlow.. though I'd like to see a few more plays with Leon Washington..Getting a stud running back would be great I'd much prefer to trade for Michael Turner from San Diego then get Adrian Peterson. Turner could start in this league except he is backing up the best running back in the NFL.. what do you guys think.. this is only 7th post

#1 dayanksmp, Sep 19, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  2. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

There are no holes opening with this young line yet. I don't think anyone can run with this line. They should gell within a few weeks and then we could start bashing our RB's.

3. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I feel like we said the same thing a few years ago about Derrick Blaylock and look where it got him.

4. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

i too would rather have turner than a rookie. hes already proven, i dont think we have to trade for him though hes a free agent after this season... i think. maybe rfa.

5. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I guess you didn't read my post or look into it at all. The year before we signed Blaylock he rushed for 539 yards with 8 tds and averaged 4.6 a carry as a backup. I'm not a huge fan of signing these backup rbs rushing on good teams.

6. Tight

Tight Active Member

I think this guy is a free agent after this season. I'd rather sign him then go wr/dt/lb with our first pick. No way, turner goes back to san diego to be a back up. No way.

7. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

dont know about this but doesnt kc run a zone blocking sheme, i dont think the chargers do, even though they do have a good line. maybe your right, maybe im just fallin in love with his 5-11 240 4.4 measures.

8. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

absolutely correct! What RB could run without an Ol opening holes for him? Look at SHAWN ALEXANDER. The guy is great but without STEVE HUTCHINSON he is struggeling!

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Turner will be a restricted free agent after the season.

10. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

Yep...and he is going to get at least the 1st round tender, if not the 1st and 3rd round tender.

IMO, thats way too much for him.

11. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

dont know much about rfa's but are you saying teams might have to give up a first or first and third rounder... thast insane, if you are i guess were not getting him. :(

12. AnyGivenSunday

Right...what happens is that the team that has the player signs him to a 1 year deal. Other teams are allowed to make offers to the players, but then have to compensate the original team (based on the offer from the original team, it could be a 1st, 1st and 3rd, 4th, etc.)

13. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

does the other team (chargers) get the draft picks.? if so why dont you just say like 5 first rounders.

14. AnyGivenSunday

The Chargers would get the picks. And there are only certain tenders that they can sign the player to (for example, one is worth a 1st rounder, another is 1st and 3rd, another is 4th, and another is 7th). If the team decides not to offer the RFA a contract, the player becomes a regular UFA.

15. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

In all probability we're gonna have at least a top 15 pick if not higher and be in range to take one of Adrian Peterson, Kenny Irons, Marshawn Lynch or even Michael Bush if he declares (and we feel like taking a risk.) I'm not convinced that Turner is gonna be any better than any of these 4 players when he's not running behind the best back in football, LDT.

16. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

i think that Kenneth Darby could be a great pick up possibly in the second round. I believe that he could be a great RB in the NFL, and i would love to see him in Green & White

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I'm on record here as saying I think Darby will be good. Curtis Martin haters (and there are some here, believe it or not) would not like Darby. Darby is of a similar build (Martin lists as 5'11, 210, Darby 5'11", 205) and also is not a "home run hitter".

18. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Darby has actually filled out a little more; he is now listed at 5'11" 215. He is a workhorse kind of back, not going to break many long runs, but could probably be a similar back to Curtis Martin, like you said

Just another back for people to look at next year, as opposed to the big-3 (Peterson, Bush, Lynch)

19. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

curtis martin haters? there had better be none on this board

:martin:

and 4th all-time too :up:

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Strangely, they exist. I don't keep track of them with an Excel spreadsheet so I don't have names. I have come across Jets fans here who severely undervalued Martin. These people like to mention a couple fumbles (1998 AFC Championship Game, regular season vs Dallas, and a couple others) even though I believe he has the lowest fumble rate of all-time (minimum 1500 carries). They also like to note he didn't break enough long runs. They also claim they wanted Martin gone after 2002.