Mekhi Becton - 5th Year Option Watch - Jets Declined

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Will Jets pick up Mekhi's 5th year option? Deadline tomorrow.

I say no chance.

hornblower likes this.
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I low key hope they pick it up. Seems like he's seen the light a little bit. Dudes working his ass off, like literally, he may need to maintain some of that ass to be effective.. I've always been a Becton fan, option is cheap..

3. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Nope. As much as the Jets think he has sky high potential (so do i), you can't play 48 snaps in two years and expect the team to be in a big hurry to exercise the 5th year. This year is a 100% sink or swim season. If he shows up and looks better than the Mekhi Becton of his rookie season? Jets will be all over resigning him like a cheap suit. If he gets injured again or just plays poorly? Good luck in your future endeavors, Mekhi....

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well said. To be honest I don't trust him long term. He gives me vibes that as soon as he lands a big contract he will be back to his old habits and not try much. Let somebody else pay him big bucks and take the risk. Let him busy his ass this year for a good contract and than adios.

Freddy Mondo and blackssmagic like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Of course they are. 100%

6. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

I hope they do, the 5th year option isn't that much compared to situation where he plays well and stays healthy and we want to make an extension with him. After next season we can use tag on him, so basically would get two years at 15m per year average.
    IF he stays healthy..

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And if he doesn't stay healthy? I think the option is 13-14 mil or so? That's a lot to eat for someone who cannot stay on the field. Whether they pick up the option will tell us a lot of how confident they are in Becton's ability to stay healthy. Though not picking it up doesn't mean he is done - it is a smart thing to do given the injury history. Let him prove it, then we can work on the extension if he does.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Rich Cimini seems to think it's a obvious decision but didn't say what that is...

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I listened to his pod. He thinks there is no chance they pick up the option.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Apparently Becton needs a lot of external motivation to do what he should be doing anyway as a highly paid pro, so why should the Jets take that away? Let him prove he's worth more than a 1 year commitment. If that means they have to pay him more (assuming he actually proves it), it's better than committing to a long term deal and then watching go back to stuffing face and sitting on the sideline.

11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I would pick it up. It's only $13 million.

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yes, and I’d be shit nervous giving him a long term deal…players like that who don’t act like being on the field is the ONLY thing that matters to them are the types to coast…and I just get the vibes that if we give him a big deal with guaranteed money, he won’t keep working his tail off…

Of course I don’t know the guy, just going by how he shows up (or doesn’t) and how he stays in shape (or doesn’t)…

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Oh nah that's too much. He needs to prove it

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Robert Saleh just needs to create some burner accounts and coach him through Twitter. Problem solved.

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

JD takes a lot of pride in his OL evaluation. I think Becton is going to get every possible opportunity to prove JD made the right call, and if he’s right it’ll cost a lot less to exercise the 5th year.

16. Johnnypump

Johnnypump Member

Only 13 million for a guy who basically has not played in 2 years. No disrespect, but thank God you are not the GM. Bottom line is you earn your money on the field, you work your ass off for it on the field. Everyone keeps looking at how great he looks now. The guy knows that this is it for him. If he wants to get paid he needs to perform this entire year period! No injuries. Keep the weight off and carry that line and be an awesome teammate. I wouldn’t give him shit! Let him earn it. Results are what matters. Let me see what he does with the pads on. Last time I saw his fat ass was in training camp and Carl Lawson was crushing him with his speed.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

To me, it's an easy decision. Decline it and make him show he can stay healthy and contribute. But, I'm not the one who selected him with the very first pick as the GM.

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"hey fat boy.... want some caaaaaandy?!?"

Leicester Jet and abyzmul like this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Make it a poll, I say absolutely they do.

This is an easy yes. The upside of having him under a cheap contract is massive, the downside is manageable.

Footballgod214 and Lon Chaney like this.
  20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

IMO Becton came up the biggest man around and he never faced a physical challenge. He took that attitude to the pros. He dominated the 1st year, re-informing his beliefs. He heard advice from the staff but ignored it, irritating the staff. After the freak injury, he didn’t change his ways bc it was a freak injury. He lashed out at the fans who would talk shit and continued his was…. Two things happened next, he got injured again and the doctors gave him an “I told you so” and he became a dad. 2 major events that would humanize and humble anyone. He’s not lashing out to shitty fans and he’s in the best shape of his life. For all intents and purposes, this is a different person than the one we drafted.

I think JD should pick up the option… even if the late round picks develop and we want to move in a different direction, a healthy Becton on a cheap 5th year option has a lot of trade value.