Matt Cassell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 43Chubby, Dec 31, 2008.

1. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

Why does everyone love this guy? Neil O'donnell ring a bell? His WR's made him.. Come on.. They changed their Offense to fit his game... Stop talking about this guy already... I would rather start Clemmons or BR over him..

2. quadcityjetsfan76

All it is is talk. The Patriots would be stupid to get rid of this guy. Brady's knee injury is obviously worse than anyone expected, so they will need to keep someone around to run things.

3. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

Right.. But I don't understand why Jet fans want this clown...

4. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I don't want the guy and most of the Jets fans i know don't want the guy, not sure how much it has been brought up on here, but i haven't even heard rumors about us being interested in him. I would rather draft a guy like Tebow than have Cassel as a Jet.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

2 words- SCOTT MITCHELL

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Why does everyone love Tebow. I read that he is not an NFL QB.

7. keypusher

keypusher Member

Because he is better than what you have.

8. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Tebow is a play maker, he has the ability to be a NFL QB, but because he can run, and he doesn't have a rocket arm people doubt the guy. He would be a chance, but it couldn't end up being any worse than last years first round pick could it. 28 TD's to 2 INT 64.9% completion record, over 2500 passing yards this season, the guy is a stud, and in my opinion he is going to be a great NFL QB, i know people tend to look away from the running QB now, but the guy is a winner, no doubt about it, works hard, has a good head, makes good decisions (Evident by only throwing 2 INT's this season), he is a tough guy, he gets hit more than any QB in college football, I'm not a Gator fan by any stretch of the imagination but this guy is a star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsfODXgTGk&feature=related

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I think the problem is he is a system QB, not as much as a Colt Brennan. But people view him that way, that is what I read, I am not an expert.

Vince Young was a great running QB as well.

10. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Vince Young wasn't the smartest QB though, he didn't look after the ball, i think he threw around 20-22 INT in his last 2 seasons with the Longhorns, Tebow has thrown 9 in 3 years, he also has had a better passer rating than Young in each year. I heard Bradford once described as a system QB, and now he is being drooled over. Tebow is special, one in a million type player, sure he thrives under the Myer Spread offense, but who's to say that he won't succeed under a pro offense? the more people doubt him, the more GM's will listen the lower he will drop = good for us. Even though i think there is a good chance that he go's back to Florida for his senior year.

11. keypusher

keypusher Member

I was in Orlando over the holidays and read a comparison between him and Sam Bradford, who in contrast to Tebow is seen as a classic NFL QB prospect. The biggest scouts knock on Tebow is that he has a slow, awkward release. The other is that he's always played from the spread and would have problems with reads under center. No idea if either concern is valid, but that's what the scouts say, supposedly.

I wonder if some desperate franchise would draft him and try to go to a Wildcat-type offense full time. The Wildcat's biggest weakness in Miami is that Ronnie Brown can't throw. Tebow wouldn't have that problem.

Back in 1961 when the 49ers used the Shotgun full-time (and ran a lot), they alternated between three tailbacks (Brodie, Kilmer and Waters), which you'd probably have to do. Even someone as tough as Tebow couldn't get through 16 games running the Wildcat against NFL defenses.

12. hendersg

hendersg New Member

I'm not sold on Cassell. Big deal, he a had a decent season with decent stats.

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Exactly, the spread offense is what I read about.

Now if the Oilers were still running the run and shoot?

But you are seeing teams migrate more and more to a spread type offense. Hell even the Ravens ran that option type spread play on the McGahee TD.

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I agree. If they would consider Cassel, Ratliff gives us nearly everything that Cassel would except one year experience.

15. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I agree.

Cassel has to make three reads, Moss, then Welker, then dump it off.

16. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Just because he hasn't run from under centre doesn't mean that he can't though, he is a chance, i think everyone would admit that, but i have seen some 'experts' saying that he will go as low as the 4th round, are you kidding me???? The spread offense and variations of it are popping up absolutely everywhere, is the professional game changing? I really don't think you would need to go to a wild-cat formation full-time, i really think that he is being underrated as a passing QB, he might not look pretty, but it gets there, and most of the time it is right on the money.

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Not a first rounder, But if he is there late second, early third, why not take a chance.

Problem is, you have at least three other guys under contract.

18. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

His receivers made him? Well, then let's give him some receivers.

I don't believe this is going to happen though. Brady isn't going to be 100% at the start of training camp, so they'll franchise the fucker.

19. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I would seriously consider taking him first round, but thats just me, if he is there 2nd round then he has to be taken.

Would like to see Clemens traded/released personally, not a big fan.

20. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Franchising him is a dangerous game though, can they afford to carry 30 mill on there salary cap just for 2 QB's?