Mangini on the Monsanto Pope departure.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

It really does look like Monsanto quit, flat out. Mangini said in the oress conference that Pope is not expected back.

I'd really like to know why he quit but I doubt we ever will.

If he did indeed just up and quit....what does that mean for his football career? He's not really a very old guy, so can he go to another team this season? And who wants to take a guy that may just quit anyways...weird decision, but then again it was for personal reasons so maybe it truly is something serious that requires him to leave the game.

2. talbain

talbain New Member

it's happened before though. refresh my memory here. didn't the jets sign a center a few years ago (tom nutten i think) who proceeded to quit the team and "retire"? then just before the season this a-hole had a "change of heart" and signed with another team...

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I forget the guy who did it with Parcells or Groh. I remember Johnny Mitchell did it. I believe the other guy I remember doing it was Erik Norgard.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

For some reason I think I remember it happening a few times. I can't remember who though. It's fine though, if Pope wants to walk, forget him. We don't need guys who don't want to do what it takes to win.

I'm willing to bet he just didn't like having to work hard in the heat. If that's the case, see ya! No big deal, there's enough guys who are more than willing to do what it takes to win. That's who we want here.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

He is either gay and got outed to the team or he failed a drug test (coke). In the the case of being outed, only Jeff Garcia and Michael Strahan (or is it "StrayHand") would want him in the locker room. In the case of coke, only Michael Irvin, Daryell Strawberry, Dewight Gooden, and Kate Moss would want him around. If he's gay AND got busted for coke, your only looking at a fan base of Elton John and Rosie O'Donnell. Dude's gotta go.

6. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Maybe this is fallout from manigini tuff camp. He is really pushing these guys it was only a matter of time before someone couldnt take it and quit. He should try KC I bet there camp is more his speed

7. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Yowsa, buddy.

8. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

The Jets drafted a player who just up and quit on his team. Schlegal was voted captain of the Air Force team then up and quit on them because he thought he had a better opportunity at Ohio State.

http://theosustorecom.readyhosting.com/new/c2006/2006_51_A_Schlegal_3.htm

#8 rajensen088, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  9. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

WOw and Nutten is a good player.....so basically its as easy as this: Pope signs with the Jets in March and now that its training camp he realises he has come to a team that isn't going to do particularly well for a couple seasons. He's not enjoying the demanding training came, and hears from his agent that another team may have interest....so he fake quits, waits it out for a while...then signs somewhere else......could this happen without repurcussions?

If so that's a pretty friggin' low-ball move...

10. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Hahahaha....but you should add George Michael to the gay/coke list...and Mike Myers' character from Club 54...:lol::lol::lol:

:eaglessuck:

11. baamf

baamf Active Member

That is so stupid. You know that it is not uncommon for athletes to transfer to different schools during their collegiate careers. He did not just up and quit on them during a season or something. Puhleeeeze.....

12. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

He tried to use that in a different thread a while ago and was put in his place then too.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?p=161627#post161627

I saw it used another time as well so this is the third time that he has used Schlegal "quitting" as a reason against the draft/Tangini.

#12 ButtleMan, Aug 1, 2006
  13. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

You have a strange definition of the word quitter. He was voted captain of the Air Force football team.. his thanks.... he quit. Player/coaches who leave the Jets are quitters, quitters who go to the Jets are what???

College players who transfer are generally those who got beat out for a starting position, or those who are given a choice to transfer or be expelled because of personal conduct. Name one college starter named captain of the football team who ever quit.

#13 rajensen088, Aug 1, 2006
  14. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

If you're going to troll here, could you at least make the effort to be somewhat amusing?

15. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I remember Johnnie Mitchell quitting the game as well. At the end of the day good riddance.

16. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Dude, he left the team after a season, not in training camp, not during the season. Use your friggin head....after you pull it out of your ass.

Based on your logic, Chad Johnson is a quitter, Steve Smith is a quitter, even freakin Rudy Ruttiger is a quitter because they all left their piece of shit junior colleges to go to big name schools.....if you wanna call every guy a quitter that has switched schools at the end of a season and school year, then go right ahead but there's a ton of guys in the NFL that would fit your description.

17. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Didnt Herm quit on the Bucs to come to the Jets?
    Didnt Belicheck quit on the Jets to go to the Pats?
    Didnt BP quit on every team he has coached except for the Cowboys so far?

#17 ButtleMan, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2005
  18. baamf

baamf Active Member

No I don't believe I have a strange definition of the word quitter, I think I just have more accurate facts than you. First of all, he was the co-caption, not sole captian, of the 2002 team. His thanks for that honor was not to quit rather he went on to have one of the best seasons ever by a Falcon LB with 116 tackles (54 solo), 3 sacks and 10 stops behind the LOS. Not to mention an interception and a few deflected passes. In my definition, that is not a quitter.

It was after that season that he decided to transfer to OSU, a decision he did not make lightly as it cost him the entire 2003 season due to NCAA transfer rules. Facts my friend....

19. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

He transferred schools. He didn't quite the team. Do you have any idea how many athletes transfer schools? Hell, do you have any idea how many college students in general transfer?

By your logic, a person should never leave for a better job. How about all the coaches that leave their schools for better opportunity elsewhere? How about how Hermy snaked his way out of the NYJ? Did he quite?

He was a student that transferred to a better school. And he did it in the offseason. You are going to begrudge someone for taking a better opportunity?

20. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

rajenson seems to have some sort of personal grudge against Schlegel. Like others have said I've seen this same sort of post on another site today.

For the record. At the end of his sophomore year Schlegel would have signed papers that committed him to military service. This would have ended any realistic hopes he had of playing in the NFL. On top of that in the interviews I've read its clear that he was struggling being a sophomore leader of the football team at the academy. Sounds like to me the upper classmen decided to make an example of him in order to reestablish the pecking order at the academy and to put a athletic scholarship guy in his place. So, Schlegel had to choose between continuing to get treated like crap at the Academy and give up his dream of playing pro football or go play somewhere else. Lots of guys leave the academy after two years and Schlegel had some pretty good reasons.