Let's put the blame where it really belongs....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Superhippy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

So after no less then half a dozen "Should Vick Start?, "Geno Sucks.", and "Foles and Ryan did it right away." threads, it's time for our fanbase to snap back to reality and realize that even with the interceptions, Geno this year has been FAR from the biggest problem with the offense this year. Through three games here is the Jets receiving totals this year bey0nd Decker (who has been hurt for a game and a half) and Kerley.

David Nelson - 5 receptions, 38 yards, 3 1st downs, 2 fumbles, 12,7 Yards Per Game.
    Greg Salas - 3 receptions, 68 yards, 2 1st downs, 22 YPG, and almost all of it came on a single play.
    Hakim - Nothing
    Saunders - Nothing + a muffed punt.
    Jeff Cumberland - 8 receptions, 82 yards, 3 1st downs, 27 YPG, in about 70% of the snaps
    Jace Amaro - 6 receptions, 67 yards, 3 1st downs.
    Zach Sudfield - 1 reception, 15 yards.

Decker - 10 receptions, 158 yards, 1 TD, 77 YPG (8 quarters played). 8 1st Downs
    Kerley - 15 receptions, 141 yards, 1 TD, 43 YPG. 7 1st downs.

Here's a little perspective on just how awful that is.

- David Nelson who has played no less then 75% of the snaps this year in three games has 20 more yards and 1 less TD receiving then......ANDY FUCKING DALTON.

- Nelson, Salas, Saunders, Hakim, Cumberland, Amaro, and Sudfield COMBINED have 270 yards receiving, and zero Touchdowns. Currently there are 12 players in the NFL with atleast 250 receiving yards and 1 TD scored on their own.

- Our TE core which is supposedly our strength, has combined 164 yards. There are currently NINE Tight Ends in the league that individually have more then 164 yards.

-Geno has 4 interceptions this year. 1 was a great read and play by a Hall of Fame corner. 1 was his O-Line being a turnstile and getting him killed during the Packer game. 1 was a awful pick-6 by him. 1 was a ball maybe shouldn't have thrown, and even that ball wasn't that bad by any means. Nelson just stood there and watched the ball come to him. Any halfway fucking decent receiving in this league takes the 2 steps up he needed and fights for that ball. Great ones would have caught it. Average ones would have caused an in completion. Horrible ones let interceptions happen.

This fanbase needs to get the fuck over itself when it comes to Geno. "Foles was great right away." Yea I guess it's simple to forget how awful he was his rookie year. "Cousins was great right away." Let's ignore the fact that he has been sitting on the bench learning for 2 full seasons though. "Matt Ryan was great right away." Bullshit. 1st 2 years he had 37 TD's, 25 INT's, and that was with A Hall of Fame Receiver in Roddy White, and the greatest TE ever in Tony Gonzalez. Geno is throwing to a bunch of guys that anywhere else would be on the practice squad and makes a couple of mistakes and he sucks? Right.

Tom, mikey, TutanKhaman and 2 others like this.
  2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Clearly Kerley's a ball hog, we should bench him.

3. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I agree for the most part. His weapons are underwhelming and we did a poor job outside of Decker addressing the issue. Cumberland is below average and Nelson is disappointing. Idzik did a poor job in a deep WR draft (Matthews, Cooks, John Brown, etc).

Part of it has to go on Geno as well. His decision making is poor at times and he's still turning over the ball at a high rate. He's still trying to do too much and like you said it could be fact that he's trying to win the game with guys who belong on the practice squad but he has to take care of the ball better.

I also blame Winters for a lot of his issues as well - I can recall numerous interceptions and rushed throws solely attributable to him.

How would Geno fare with Cutlers weapons? How would Matt Ryan fare with ours?

JeTsInTexas and DMSMaven like this.
  4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

nonsense.

Jets69 likes this.
  5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Elite accuracy.

_

Jets69 likes this.
  6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The blame is the coaching staff. You have a plan you implement as a HC and you follow that through. Rex and Marty clearly have no solid plan and you're seeing the effects of that on the field. The way the team plays is a direct reflection of the HC. If the team plays scattered and inconsistent, then you know what's going on in Ryan's head. As simple as that.

TNJet, Jets69, JaimWang and 3 others like this.
  7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I didn't notice ... looks like we found the leader of the Geno fan club right here.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That interception that David Nelson "should have fought for" was in double coverage and he threw it with both feet off the ground. If you honestly believe that was an OK throw, you're retarded. Go rewatch that throw and tell me that was not a complete dumbass decision.

But let's also ignore the other things that prove your argument false. Let's ignore interceptions in the red zone, let's ignore the fumbles in the red zone, let's ignore him taking sacks putting us out of field goal range, let's ignore that he was going against a Bears defense that had maybe two or three of their normal starters on it. The rest were backups and third stringers. Let's ignore that we gave up 14 points to the Bears because of turnovers. Had he not thrown those two dumbass interceptions, we would have won that game.

Let's just forget all that because it goes against your argument.

[​IMG]

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Compared to where he was last year he's much improved. He'll still make mistakes but for the most part I like what I see from him. There are things he needs to clean up and with experience and his work ethic I'm sure he'll improve.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That pass looks even shittier than it did the 1st time....... :confused:

But yes, the WRs still suck, but anyone who thought TE was a "Strength" on this team is a fool.....

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Nelson has regressed which is disappointing and we're not getting anything from the other receivers outside of Kerley and Decker. The TE's aren't incorporated enough in the offense to judge one way or the other.

12. JStokes

You need to get the fuck over yourself.

_

NJJ_Jersey_Jets likes this.
  13. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Hard to argue with this..very hard.

Lets face it..the receivers have been fine until the receivers and the qb hit the red zone. Genos passing yards are much higher this year compared to last year at this time. Geno just makes too many mistakes and I hate when people say "and he could have had many more ints if they were not dropped" but Geno could have many more INTS if they were not dropped.

Whether Geno is still finding himself or this is it..this is as good as it gets..his biggest problem is that he has not figured out what type of qb he is. He truly wants to be a pocket passer. He needed the coaching staff to prod him into using his legs..which boggles my mind considering A. how good he is at it and B. how bad he is when he chooses not to.

He isn't Brady...he isn't Manning...he is in the style of Wilson/Cap (not saying he could be that good..style) and last week he decided he would be pocket Geno. Several times..more then several times, he rolled out with room to run and held the ball as long as he could. The coaches tell him to not take chances and slide and he goes into a shell and stops using his legs.

Did anyone see the overtime drive by Wilson against the Broncos? Did you guys see the way Wilson used his legs? Now with all the negative talk about Geno and him feeling the pressure again, we will see the other Geno this week....the Geno that uses his legs. He just has no idea that that is the only way he will succeed in this league because he in NOT a pocket passer that will tear you up...no matter who is receivers are.

14. JStokes

While it may have been a dumb decision, it was elitely accurate.

_

15. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I completely agree that our receiving options just aren't good enough, overall. However, Geno has been far too mistake prone. The pick on the intended pass to Nelson in the end zone that you minimized was simply atrocious and inexcusable. Like usual, he held the ball for too long (one of his very worst habits right now) and forced a late throw into double coverage that he just simply should have thrown into the stands. Terrible. F. The pick 6 was beyond inexcusable. The screen pass wasn't there. Again, it needed to be thrown away. I agree with you on both the Woodson pick as well as the game-changing pick in Green Bay . . . neither was on him for the reasons you described.

Geno has shown ability and has consistently moved us up and down the field. However, he has made several terrible decisions on several bad interceptions or near interceptions, taken some very bad sacks because of an unfortunate combination of refusing to get rid of the ball while simultaneously running backwards, and has failed to get us into the endzone on a number of our redzone opportunities. He's got potential and has shown ability to be effective for large stretches, but until he puts it all together and drastically limits the boneheaded mistakes, there will be plenty of people calling for Vick, and if he doesn't cut down on the killer mistakes soon, they will get their wish.

16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Even the biggest Geno=bust poster on here is going to struggle to claim that the turnover resulting from the muffed punt was on Geno. However good your other points are, you can't blame him for that TD.

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear he only has confidence in two players. Kerley and Decker. Once Decker went down we were back to square 1 and Geno had only 1 player he trusted. I'm hoping he learns to trust Amaro, because I think we have a real mismatch problem there. Even though he probably didnt get the first down on that play, he boxed out that defender in a way Jets fans never see.

I said it in another thread, but if you dont have a top 5-10 QB, you better get him top 5-10 weapons. Geno is/has neither. Decker is really good, but with him down, we're back to the worst receivers in the league.

18. Falco21

It was an elite pass, it was just a bad decision ;)

19. Falco21

I don't think it's trust at all.

Honestly, I think it's just him not having the experience to spread it around. You'll notice how in some games he'll complete passes to 6 different receivers, but then something like this happens and he only throws to Kerley.

Last year, he was throwing to Nelson quite often. Now all of a sudden he doesn't trust him?

20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I dont know where this information could be found, but I would like to see the number of INT's he's thrown when targeting Decker/Kerley vs when targeting anyone else.

He definitely didnt trust Hill last season. Maybe Nelson regressed, I dont know. Maybe he is just a backup who can come in and take advantage of a worn down defense. Either way, there must be a reason why he isnt being targeted as much as last year.