Kellen going to push Chad in Camp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mavericknyc1980, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

fix the link

3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I get an error message when I click on that link. You may want to check it.

I am guessing it was a response P. King made to a Jets fan that questioned his Kellen Clemens comment in MMQB. Where King stated Mangini is not an idiot and will give KC every opportunity to show he can be a starting QB.

4. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

5. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Here is what I thought you were referring too in its entirety:

Peter King in MMQB 1/22/07:

8. New York Jets (10-7). Work hard, Kellen Clemens. Your chance is coming.

Peter King in MMQB 1/23/07 mailbag:

THE JETS HAVE A QUARTERBACK-IN-WAITING. From Adam, of Berkeley Heights, N.J.: "In your Jets comment this week, you say "Work hard, Kellen Clemens. Your chance is coming." Do you really think Clemens can be the real deal for the Jets or will they be stuck with Chad Pennington for a few more years before going out and getting someone else in the draft or free agency?''

I think Eric Mangini would not have used a second-round pick on someone he was not planning to give a fair chance. Pennington is a splendid field general, but he has the weakest deep arm of any decent-or-better quarterback in the NFL. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer came back after scouting all the quarterbacks in the draft last year and raved about Clemens' smarts, field sense and arm strength. Oh, he'll get his chance to play sometime. You can be sure of that.

Here is the ink to the above:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/01/23/playoffs/index.html

#5 Miamipuck, Jan 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Kellen isn't going to play unless Chad suffers a season-ending injury or meltdown next season. Let him watch and learn in the sidelines just as Chad did while Vinny was out there throwing INTs. As we have seen in the past, most rookie QBs benefit a great deal from a season or two on the bench rather than being thrown into the wolves prematurely.

7. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

i just hope he gets some snaps here and there just so we could see what we have

8. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

How can you say that? You dont know what Kellen can do in camp, what happens if he is a far superior qb? Will he still not play?

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yay for Kellen Clemens! :beer: :cool:

10. JETSimpala

JETSimpala New Member

What really got to me was that Brian Schott went to see him himself and was pleased. Brian had the ideal playbook for Chad Pennington this year. And if Kellen were too play this coming season, I have a feeling he may execute the plays a little better with his stronger arm. The questions is if has the proper mental approach we're used to see Chad do, but if Brian Schott raved about his smartness on the field, then I put my trust in that.

11. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Clemens should start in 2007.

12. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

What are you basing that on.. He has had one training camp and at the end of that training camp was placed 3rd on the depth chart. He didn't show anything special during the preseason or regular season when he had the small oppurtunities. Until training camp next year Chad Pennington deserves to be the starting QB. If Clemmens comes out and has a great TC and is the more deserving candidate then by all means give him the oppurtunity. But to say that Clemmens should be the starter without ever seeing anything to justify it isn't right.

13. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

If Kellen can beat Chad .. then props to him .. its hard to beat Chad's intellegence

14. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Exactly. It's an open competition. If Kellen beats Chad, I'm sure that Chad will give him all the props in the world and be there for him. Conversely, if Chad beats him out, no one here should be complaining about Chad stating because Clemens obviously wouldn't be ready yet by that point.

15. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Its just Rob, these types of statements should be expected. Just like he says Leon will start next year

16. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

if IF clemens beats out chad in TC, everyone here will collectively shit! i mean, were gonna go from "to noodle arm or not to noodle arm" to wtf is mangini doing starting clem over chad??!!

while i would love to see clem get some snaps (especially when we were routing the faders in the last game, second half should have been all clem), do we really want what equates to a rookie at the helm? especially when we were so close to taking it to the pats and making a real run at the division...i know someone (including the CS) may say or feel that 2 steps back to make one forward, would anyone really like to see chads time starting for the jets come to a close this early??? especially when we should have beaten those bitches from pitt...

KCs time will come, probably in aother year or 2, but i think that logically, even if clemens out performs chad in TC were gonna see #10 under center to start the year. the CS has to see that a full year with the D implemented, and the system in place that this may be the honest-to-god last chance for chad to take this team somewhere.

KC in 09...you heard it here...

17. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

I love it when I see posts saying Clemens for the starting job in 2007, or Clemens will be our starter next year & their basis is basically the old arm strength gag.

While it's nice to have that, it's also nice to have a QB who has the smarts and the know how of leading the offense and as of right now in our current off-season and when the Super Bowl parties are officially over by this coming Sunday Chad will still be the QB at the start of the 2007 season.

All of you want to throw Clemens to the wolves and what happens if he isn't ready yet? He's going to look more like Eli in his 2 1/2 season than what Roethlisberger looked like when he took over for Tommy Maddox three years ago. Everyone on here wishes that Clemens is the next version or the new QB comeing out like Big Ben in Pittsburgh or Tony Romo in Dallas. It took Romo the backup all of last year to do nothing & got his chance this season all because of the pressure put on Bill by the Media.

How about Eli's 1st year with the Giants in 2004? They were 6-3 with Kurt Warner till out of the blue because of media pressure and yes the Giants were on a mini losing streak that could have been broken decided to throw Eli Manning to the Wolves and they lost the last 6 games till the final game of the season at home he got his first win under his belt. Look at Eli right now for the Giants. He can start the happy trail to winning but can't finish the job & they are losing at the end of the season.

What happens if Clemens gets killed out there and we lose him both physically and mentally. Those of you who said, "WELL WE NEED TO GET A LOOK TO SEE IF HE IS GOOD ENOUGH". He is our future, but let's not recklessly force Mangini to put him in. One horrible mistake and this talk of "THIS AIN'T THE SAME OLD JETS ANYMORE" will creap back in & that tag will never go away.

18. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Chad has a huge roster bonus do the year after next which he only gets if he isn't cut. The Jets are far from an elite team. If they believe Clemens gives us a better shot to get a SB, he will be worked into the lineup next year at some point and Chad will be gone in 09. Clemens will get a shot at some point next year.

19. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

Chad closed the QB competition far quicker than anyone expected last year. Give him a chance--this will be his first injury-free offseason in a while; he can continue to strngthen his arm and work on his mechanics....remember in the beginning of the year, all the talk about how he's throwing with his body, not his arm? It seemed to me he regressed as the year went on. Last year, he said he improved his mechanics through film study, and he wasn't throwing most of the offseason. This year, he will.

If Clemens is the better QB, start him. But if you're a betting man, expect Chad to silence this crap early in training camp.

20. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

dude, his arm isnt getting any stronger. realistically the best we can hope for is that his shoulder holds up over the offseason and that he comes back for next season is good shape.