JETS passing attack poll....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYCBillsFan, May 29, 2009.

?

Where will the JETS passing game rank by seasons end?

1. Are you serious? First you D-bag...

2.5%
  2. Top 10

2.5%
  3. Middle of the Pack

69.5%
  4. Bottom 10

22.0%
  5. What is this "passing game" you speak of?

3.4%
  1. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

Poll attached....

At this point of the offseason, with TC right around the corner, there are issues abound for many NFL teams. What is your take on the JETS passing game as to where they will end up this year?

2. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

Probably towards the lower-end of the middle of the pack. The Jets offense is going to run the ball A LOT.

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Broad, open-ended question because of where we are with this. I see WR as a missing piece of the puzzle. I still regard Cotchery as a very good #2 and we don't know enough about Stuckey or Clowney to even say they're anything more than an unproven but talented and promising pair.

I'd like to see Tannenbaum make one final move again this year, like he did with Favre last year and with the Kendall acquisition. Forget Boldin, it will cost a fortune. If Plax avoids jail time, his stock will rise meteorically, but he still may be the best hope we have of bringing in somebody who can really make a huge difference in the passing game. Bringing in a Plaxico would instantly make everyone else better, even whoever starts at QB. It would be an upgrade across the board, which is why I don't see Tannenbaum sitting on his hands with this position should someone become available, especially Plax.

I'm fine with either QB with regard to the WRs. I like Clemens because he's got the experience in our system and tutored under two of the best, but if Sanchez beats him out in TC I'm okay with that too. Either QB will get these guys the ball and the running attack will help as will the O-line, which will be significantly better and more jelled than last year, IMO. It's a team thing, not all on the QBs shoulders.

But we definitely need to reach out for another WR somewhere, that's the piece of teh puzzle we don't know about yet and the one peice that is going to be HUGE in terms of where we go with our passing attack this year.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Middle of the pack would be a reasonable and satisfying ranking. We will lean more on the run, plus the inexperience at QB should be noted. Bottom 10 would not surprise me at all either, but I'll be an optimist and say middle of the pack.

5. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

well said but at the same time i wouldnt be so quick as to write off our recieving corps....although only time will tell i believe that will be fine....

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I voted middle on the assumption the FO makes a move to bring in a good receiver.

7. ujponds

ujponds New Member

My vote is Middle of the pack. Sanchez should be able to have some success with opposing D's stacking up against the run. I can see Keller having a big year.

8. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I'd say middle of the pack as well, but with a lot of potential. Section 227's post was brilliantly put together.

I'd like to shoot a question to our Bills fan who put this question together. If your passing game isn't Top 10 next year...would you consider that a success or a failure? I think it's a reasonable question considering T.O. and Evans (during the off-season) have been considered one of the best receiving corps the league will showcase in the upcoming season.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

24th overall

no one will suck as much as the Titans WR corp, even with Britt.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I don't believe I indicated anywhere in my post that I had "written off" anyone, most certainly not the entire receiving corps. But I understand the gist of your post, which is that I didn't yet have stintingly high praise for Clowney or Stuckey and that I don't regard Cotchery as higher than a #2.

I hope you are right about it being fine, but I'm afraid Cotch will be buried without a legit threat on the other side. Clowney and Stuckey are interesting to say the least... very talented guys... but again, unproven.

I can't even respond to the poll, that's how murky the waters right now in this department. Seriously, unless we bring in someone else who demands respect, I'm afraid our passing game is seriously deficient.

I don't have the amount confidence many seem to have regarding how powerful and devastating our running attack will be. I want to see that first and then I'll believe it. And until then, it will effect the passing game immensely. If I were to answer the poll with today's talent, we're a sub-par passing team.

But bring in someone else (just one other very good WR) who a defense has to guard against and look out... all hell will break loose.

11. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

i picked the first one just cause i wanted to call you a dbag. id say middle.

12. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

it will be and ACCEPTABLE bottom 10. i hope anyway. run the shit out of the field, pass little and mistake free.

13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

There is no sound basis for believing our passing attack will be average or better. If it happens, great, but at this time we are CLEARLY below the league average at both the QB and WR positions. Not to mention that any chemistry between the two positions will have to come on the fly.

= objectively, well below average. I hope I'm wrong, but really, people. Be serious.

14. NYCBillsFan

Good question. My thought is, at this point, the BILLS organization needs wins. If those wins are a result of a strong running game, or a strong passing game, then it is a win. The BIILS are built for win now, although it is a flimsier version then I am comfortable with. They are relying on a locker room agitator to shake things up with the team as opposed to using the man that is hired to do that job, namely Jauron. If the passing game isn't top 10 and they make the playoffs, then you can argue that it's a success because if the running game is strong, then some attention would be thrown on covering Lee and Terrell, or they had the lead and didn't need to throw late in the game. For the BILLS, the most important question is the play of the OL. Lots of changes, lots of directions they can go. Trent Edwards is only going to go as far as his protection. He's not the playmaker type.

It seems to me that they are gearing their wins towards a strong passing attack. If that falls, then it'll be tough to translate that into wins. Marshawn and Freddy are pretty solid, but stack the box on them and you can marginalize them. My guess is this year, the passing game for the BILLS is your best barometer. If the are not top 10, it's unlikely they make the playoffs, and ultimately, a fail....

15. NYCBillsFan

And I am quite honored sir.....:up:

16. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

My opinion is that this current OL isn't very good at pass protection and doesn't give the QB a lot of time. Because of that BF's lack of mobility seriously hurt the team. With either KC or MS we will have a QB who can buy time with his feet better than an ancient Brett Favre could. So that right there will help the passing game. DKNY being in his second year will more than make up for losing Coles. The play calling will be better and adding Shonn Greene and giving Leon more carries will help the running game. This will open up things for the passing game, thats Football 101. Put it all together and the Jets passing offense will be at least average.

Over at CLE Rob Ryan will keep the defense respectable. But the offense will be run by Brian Daboll, who is the mini me version of Mangini. There will be much on the field comedy when the Browns offense takes the field, the same stuff we used to see here.

17. NYCBillsFan

I have a feeling CLEVELAND is in big trouble this year. They may be picking first in next years draft.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

"When you pass, three things can happen. Two of them are bad."

- Woody Hayes.

19. NY Sack Exchange7

NY Sack Exchange7 New Member

AMEN Brotha', Amen! :beer:

20. al greenspam

al greenspam New Member

given that we are so very, very unproven (outside of Cotch) in our pass-throwing and -catching personnel, anyone predicting anything but that the jets will finish in the bottom 10 in passing is doing so out of sheer, unadulterated optimism.

Let's face it, infinitely more players prove that they do NOT belong in the NFL than prove they do, so the simple odds are that almost none of out current crop of QBs and WRs will turn out to be pretty good. especially not this coming season, when all this unproven talent will still be very inexperienced.

Not saying it won't happen -- and I certainly hope it does -- but it's just not likely.