jets close to signing Pearson!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MeanGreen80, Apr 13, 2006.

1. MeanGreen80

MeanGreen80 New Member

just heard it on a radio station in jacksonville on the way home from work. My friend said he finds this source usually very accurate so hopefully it will be official by tomorrow.

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

that helps alot...getting pearson would make us closer to having a respectable oline...i think if we sign him we still need to get one more Olineman in the first 3 picks...Perferrably Mangold or Ferguson

3. USAFJETSFAN

USAFJETSFAN New Member

Nevermind left tackle..also saw he had reconstructive knee surgery last year..

4. 1028

1028 Active Member

Holy crap Im likin this new regime, I am :up: Sign players to fill holes thru FA, then go into the draft thinking BPA at each pick

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Isn't he a Left Tackle though?

6. smittyf350

smittyf350 Member

who the hell is pearson

7. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

I second that notion

8. USAFJETSFAN

USAFJETSFAN New Member

The Jags did pick up Williams from Buffalo so I guess he was just going to be a backup this year..From what I have read he's not anything special ..Just more depth, as long as we get him for cheap..

9. daking231

daking231 Member

I like the move if it happens... Mike Pearson (did i get that name right?) played for the jags last season.... I think.

10. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

im not familiar with pearson...

11. 1028

1028 Active Member

He is, but I view LT as a hole. Not necessarily that I dont think Jones is capable of starting, but Id like to see some competition, and some depth at the position

12. JetsYankees

JetsYankees New Member

Pearson would be a good solid signing to add depth to the T spot. He's only 25 but he's coming off a major injury. He would be a solid T depth guy however and could show the Jets may be leaning towards Leinart or Cutler at 4.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Pearson would be an excellent depth signing. That means we are then really only looking for one player at each position and won't have to worry about backing up positions along the line and such.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

(from the Jags site)
    Mike
    Pearson
    Offensive Tackle
    6-7
    Florida
    PRO:Talented fourth-year offensive tackle who started 31 games in three seasons and played in 36 consecutive games before suffering a knee injury last year … Will compete with 2005 second round draft choice Khalif Barnes for starting job at left tackle … Second-round draft choice who took over at left tackle after departure of perennial All-Pro Tony Boselli (was nicknamed “Baby Boselli” in college after his idol) … Was drafted to take over at left tackle and did so in sixth game of 2002 and followed up starting all 16 games in 2003 … Jaguars’ highest-drafted offensive tackle other than Boselli along with Brian DeMarco (1995) … .

2004: Played and started in four games before injuring his left knee against Indianapolis on Oct. 3 … Had streak of 31 consecutive starts and 36 consecutive games played before being placed on injured reserve on Oct. 5 … Underwent reconstructive surgery … .

2003: Played and started in all 16 games … Member of an offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in team history with 28, and blocked for Fred Taylor, who rushed for a career-high and team-record 1,572 yards … Helped tutor rookie Vince Manuwai who started 14 games at left guard … .

2002: Played in all 16 games, starting final 11 games of the season … Played on extra point and field goal units in first five games … Took over at left tackle in Game 6 after injury to Maurice Williams caused a shuffle at both offensive tackle positions. Made first NFL start Oct. 20 at Baltimore, playing entire game, going up against Ravens’ Michael McCrary and Peter Boulware, as Fred Taylor rushed for 151 yards … Played every offensive snap in all 11 starts … On Nov. 10 vs. Washington (coached by his college coach, Steve Spurrier), held Bruce Smith to one solo tackle and no sacks … Declared for NFL draft as a junior and selected in the second round, the 40th choice overall and fifth offensive tackle drafted after Mike Williams, Bryant McKinnie, Levi Jones and Marc Columbo.

Three-year letterman (left school a year early) … Received school’s offensive leadership award in 2001 … Twotime Southeastern Conference All- Academic selection … Played in 33 games with 31 starts … Played in three bowl games: 2001 Orange, 2000 Sugar, 1999 Citrus … All-America first-team choice as a junior in 2001 by the National Sports Bureau, Football Writers Association and The Sporting News … Consensus All-SEC first-team pick and SEC Academic Honor Roll member … Started every game at left tackle … As a sophomore, All-SEC first-team pick by conference’s coaches, adding second-team honors from The Sporting News and Associated Press … Recipient of school’s James W. Kynes Ironman Award … SEC Academic Honor Roll selection … Started every game at left tackle after being injured during summer break (missed virtually all of August drills after suffering a fractured skull in a motor vehicle incident on July 25) … First-team freshman All-America selection by The Sporting News in 1999, when he was named school’s outstanding freshman and SEC Academic Honor Roll selection … Played in 10 of 12 games, with eight starts, becoming a starter in the sixth game … Did not see any game action as a true freshman in 1998 and was redshirted (worked with the scout team at offensive tackle) … Graduated in 2001 with a degree in business administration.

15. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Jaguars Fans Opinions...

http://jaguars.com/mb/default.aspx?f=6&m=800117&g=800238

16. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

If the Jets make this move Id say Im 80% sure we are taking a QB by either trading up to 2 or staying put at 4.

17. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

what I remember about Pearson: when he came out he was slim and weak. Weak weak weak. He put up something like 20 reps. But he was considered smart and durable, but never dominating. I think he somewhat exceeded expectations in Jax, but he's the sort of guy who is better than all your reserves but not as good as any of your starters (iif that makes sense)

18. Hazardous Waters

Not Mangold, since we picked up Teague.

19. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

[QUOTEAvoiding the Reach

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tangini has done quite a bit to remove all the temptation the every dreaded "reach pick" can provide.

We still fell a little short. We need to sign one more FA tackle and I think they could pass on anyone based soley on position. I don't know if they are working on a "hold the fort" RT but I would really like to see one before the draft, if only for the fact that I won't be waiting for that position to be filled and that rookie won't have to come in with unrealistic expectations.

Signing one after the draft is always an option, free agent rookie or a cut from another team.

Back to the point. We need depth at any and every position. They are positioning themselves for a BPA draft and thats a good thing.][/QUOTE]

I posted this earlier today and that darn Tangini machine is starting to become predictable. This guy as some of the other FA signings is not a SLAM DUNK starter, nor is he an obvious bench player. They know they are getting some level of NFL player for a low cost at worst a good backup.

20. Salz

Salz New Member

We still could draft Mangold. Jetdic watches alot of Bills games and says Teague was the worst offensive lineman they had so if he struggles, Mangold could replace him. We're talking about pick 29 or 35 here... you wouldn't pass on a top talent at those spots because you filled a spot there with a 31 year old average center.