Jets Attending Villanova pro day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Mar 24, 2007.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Mar 23 KFFL has learned the New York Jets will attend the Villanova Pro Day Friday, March 23, to scout NFL Draft prospect QB Marvin Burroughs (Villanova).
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyj/notes

Marvin Burroughs
    [​IMG]

Class:
    Senior

Hometown:
    Atlantic City, N.J.

High School:
    Atlantic City

Height / Weight:
    6-1 / 215

Position:
    QB

Birthdate:
    10/07/1983

Villanova: Co-Captain; Will be the leader of the Villanova offensive unit; One of the top playmakers in the Atlantic 10 Conference; Possesses a strong, accurate throwing arm; Good runner with outstanding escape ability.

2005: Completed 16-of-22 for 150 yards and one touchdown to go with six rushes for 20 yards in season opener at Rutgers before suffering a season-ending arm injury early in the third quarter.

2004: Started all 11 games and completed 209-of-334 (62.6%) for 2,486 yards to go with 20 touchdowns and 12 interceptions; Completed 17-of-24 for 142 yards to go with one touchdown and one interception in season opener versus Bucknell; Went 13-of-23 for 100 yards to go with one touchdown and two interceptions at Lehigh; Was 4-of-11 for 40 yards against James Madison; Completed 15-of-26 for 166 yards at Pennsylvania; Went 32-of-58 for 382 yards to go with three touchdowns and one interception versus New Hampshire; Completed 31 passes in 41 attempts for 350 yards and tallied two touchdowns and an interception at Northeastern; Completed 18-of-23 for 260 yards and five touchdowns versus Richmond. For his efforts versus Richmond, he was named Atlantic 10 Offensive Player of the Week; Completed 18-of-28 for 232 yards and two scores against Towson; Threw for 210 yards and two touchdowns while completing 13-of-21 at Rhode Island; Completed 25-of-39 for 270 yards to go with three touchdowns and one interception at William & Mary; Completed 23-of-40 for 334 yards to go with one touchdown and three interceptions at Delaware.

2003: Played in six games, starting two, and completed 52-of-84 (61.9%) for 625 yards to go with six touchdowns and two interceptions; Completed 4-of-10 for 33 yards versus Hampton; Was 1-of-2 for 22 yards to go with one rush for eight yards at New Hampshire; Completed 2-of-3 for 36 yards and had three carries for six yards versus James Madison; Went 11-of-20 for 146 yards and one interception when he came off the bench in place of the injured Joe Casamento versus UMass; Earned Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week distinction when he completed 15-of-19 for 245 yards to go with five touchdowns and one interception in his first collegiate start at Richmond; Completed 19-of-30 for 143 yards and a touchdown at Hofstra.

2002: Redshirted.

Atlantic City High School: Earned three varsity letters in football for head coach Bob Weiss, as well as two letters in basketball and one in track & field; Received first team All-Conference honors in 2000 and 2001; Named to the All-South Jersey first team in both 2000 and 2001; A two-time first team All-Group performer; Earned second team All-State accolades in 2000 and 2001; Two-time Conference Player of the Year; Amassed 1,696 yards passing and 16 touchdowns as a senior; A member of the National Honor Society.

Personal: Human Services major; Oldest of two sons of Marvin and Jodi Burroughs; Born 10/7/83 in Atlantic City, N.J.

http://villanova.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/burroughs_marvin00.html

2. JETSimpala

JETSimpala New Member

Another Brad Smith?

3. Quack

Quack New Member

Must be, because as we all know, Kellen Clemens is the quarterback of the future. We just need a few years of development to fit the microprocessor in his head and the bionic arm. So no we would never, ever look at another QB. To back that up, he's only 6'1". Noone has ever succeeded with that kind of height and noone ever will.

Of course a receiver corps full of Randle Els wouldn't hurt. CoCo should be #1 receiver quality so having three players to throw to him after Coles is gone instead of one should give us a huge advantage over the competition. All we need now is to get a starting QB that can run with our receivers and we'll have the best passing attack in the NFL!

Just in case noone picked it up, there's at least some sarcasm in those words. Though I'd probably lean towards all of them being sarcastic aside from the corps of Randle Els thing. He is quite good even disregarding the fact that he was a QB in college.

Anyway, Brad ran a 4.44 40. Burroughs ran a 4.78 with 4.73 being his best. That's a considerable difference. Now I haven't seen film on the guy so I can't say how he runs in pads and on the field but from what's available he's not fast enough to be a receiver. He runs at a speed subpar for a TE without having the size.

4. krd145

krd145 New Member

drew brees 6-0
    favre, mcnair, hasselbeck, delhomme, steve young, joe montana are all 6-2

5. Canadian

Canadian New Member

I guess that's what they are expecting

6. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

sounds like someone to sign as a FA, then send to Europe or Arena ball and see if they develop. If he doesn't, then they haven't lost much money-wise

7. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Special Teamer.

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

List of those that have yet to succeed (so I hear):

Drew Brees 6-0"
    Micheal Vick 6-0"
    Jeff Garcia 6-1"
    Jake Plummer 6-1"
    Tony Romo 6-1"
    Kurt Warner 6-1"
    Rex Grossman 6-1" (Bad example) :(
    Jimmy Conzelman 6-1" (HOF QB)
    Earl Clark 6-0" (HOF QB)
    Len Dawson 6-0" (HOF QB)

Hell I think Namath was 6-1" too. Anyway you get the point..

9. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

guys relax.

10. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

guys, sarcasm. dig it.

cheers

11. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

Kurt Warner was 6-2. The other "current" qbs have not won anything yet. Conzelman, Clark, Dawson and Namath played when the standard size for defensive linemen was much shorter than todays.

12. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

Maybe they havent won anything yet at that height.But do you mean to say that anyone over the height of 6"2 has won anything? I think the list of guys under 6"2 like Brees Vick wtc who are in the league are doing well. The point is that height is not going to be the diffrenece as to whether a QB wins or loses .IT IS A TEAM SPORT.How long did it take Peyton and his 6"5 frame to win.Height has nothing to do with it.,IT is about team.

13. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Don't use HOF QBs as an example. Back in the 60s, the linemen, on average, were shorter too.

However, you are right, there are a bunch of QBs that are "short" that can play. However, if you think Garcia, for a minute is taller than 5'10" you are kidding yourself.

14. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I think it would be an interesting experiment to try and load up our receiver corps with Brad Smith/Randle El type guys. These guys are going to go in the later rounds so it's not going to cost a whole bunch.

15. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

There has not been a quarterback 6ft 1 or less that has ever been on a super bowl winning team in the last 20 years. Some recent Super Bowl winning qbs:
    Peyton Manning 6 5
    Ben Roethlisberger 6 5
    Tom Brady 6 4
    Brad Johnson 6 5
    Trent Dilfer 6 4
    John Elway 6 3
    Troy Aikman 6 4

16. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Couple people know I'm a sophomore here at 'Nova and I can tell you there is no way it's for him being a QB. He has all the physical talent in the world but he literally may be the dumbest QB I've ever seen play. However he is really athletic and could take over a game with his legs and makes alot of people miss. He's gotten first downs on a ton of ridiculous plays where it seemed like he was going to lose 5 yards. He was supposed to be a good pro prospect before junior year but he broke his non-throwing arm. The Jets have a history lately of signing undrafted Villanova guys so at best this guy could be competition for Wallace Wright.

17. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

Maybe you are thinking of Doug Flutie, Garcia looks about 6' 1".

18. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

wallace wright plays WR. if he comes he will probably compete with tui.

19. Quack

Quack New Member

Wow. I'm sorry that this thread ran so far off topic in response to a joke I made. I even clarified that it was a joke (it was also a reference to a ranting editorial about Troy Smith on SI.com).

Anyway, so this guy is agile and has moves. Maybe he'll be more of a RB/QB player while Brad Smith is the WR/QB (I know he's rushed for us but not particularly well or often enough) unless, as I said, he's a lot faster on-field than he is off-field. Actually, come to think of it, he might not be able to stretch the field with his speed but maybe he would be a very good possession receiver with his ability to make defenders miss.

20. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

ive never seen him play, but seeing his forty time and size, i see defense/ special teams.