JDs Tenure Up Until This Point - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Sep 27, 2023.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why some people get so up in arms when you criticize JD, but he's been closer to bad than good. It's like some people are grading him on a curve because we have had dogshit as GMs the 2 regimes prior in Idzik and Mac. He came here prelockdown and the main issues were the QB and the OL. Here we are 4 years later and we still have the same issues.

I don't knock him for swinging for the fences for Rodgers, but the OL is still a disaster. At the same time how many times does a GM get to swing at it again after such a colossal miss like Zach? He basically got a mulligan on the QB position with Rodgers. Is he really the guy we want making the decision on the 2024 or the 2025 QB? Is he taking the next QB only to be canned within 2 years and then we get a regime who doesn't have "their guy"? Has he done enough to get a swing at a 3rd QB? I don't know. I think JD and Saleh are going to get 2024, but their seats are scorching hot.

Pros:
    - Jamal Adams/Darnold trades
    - Draft picks of Sauce/GW/Breece/I even think JJ will be a fine player
    - DJ Reed signing
    - Some late round picks (Clemons/Michael Carter x2)
    - AVT
    - Rodgers

I also can't really praise him that much for hitting on early picks. It's what "good" GMs are supposed to do.

Cons:
    - Corey Davis/Carl Lawson signings in his first FA period. They were his "big" moves
    - Outside of Becton (who is still a massive ? mark) the entire 2020 class is a disaster
    - 2021 is a mess outside of AVT.
    - Zach is the biggest miss since Jamarcus Russell
    - Laken Tomlinson stinks and got a massive contract and the OL still STINKS
    - Not addressing the backup QB in 4 years

Any other pros or cons people can come up with feel free to post.

JohnnyJet, mrmajix, tomdeb and 10 others like this.
  2. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

To quote the great Bill Parcells, "You are what you're record says you are." Joe Douglas' records is 21-48, i.e. 0.304.

*I thought about discounting the 2019 Jets to be fair to JD, since JD took over late in the off-season and probably shouldn't be held responsible for that roster...except that if you do that his record is even worse: 14-39, or 0.260.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’ll probably catch some shit for this but while AVT is a good player, if you trade up to take a guard in the top 15, you really should be doing so to get a player that dominates.

He’s a good player and he’s been stuck in the middle of a shitty offensive line, but I wouldn’t exactly say he dominates. Zach Martin and Quentin Nelson got to their respective teams and were game changers in the run game. Glad we got a good player

The only redeeming quality for Douglas at this point is that he’s an excellent trade GM.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

People are always underrating interior offensive linemen.

Nelson is a once in a decade player taken in the top 6 of the first round.

While the other 31 teams are playing checkers the Cowboys are playing four dimensional chess when it comes to drafting OL.

Considering that AVT is a stud at guard who can also succeed as a starter at either tackle position the pick and the trade up are both in the top eight decisions made by JD.

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

JD has built a good defense. Plus, the G. Wilson and Hall picks were home runs, but he has 3 things going against him.

1. The OL has not been improved under his watch.
    2. Struck out badly on the #2 pick at the most important position. This alone is a fire able offense.
    3. 21-48 record as a GM. Sports is a winning business and if you don't win you won't be around for long especially in NY.

tomdeb, Jets79, HomeoftheJets and 5 others like this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

JD and Saleh are both in way over their heads.

Some of his draft picks have been stellar but firing him does not mean that any of our scouts would have to leave.

While the trade up for AVT was a great move, all too often JD gets cute and trades down to take players that wash out when better players were available had we stayed put.

Many of JD's free agency fixes on the offensive line seem to work at first but either the player ages rapidly or leaves in free agency when we should have kept them.

DJ Reed and Quincy Williams were nice finds but Laken Tomlinson and Duane Brown are just stealing money.

Having Aaron Rodgers for four snaps doesn't make up for the whole Zach Wilson fiasco from trading Sam, to making the pick, to keeping White on the bench, letting White go in free agency, thinking that Zach was the answer at backup going into the season, to doubling down on him now.

Robert Saleh seems to know defense, may have had a hand in some of our good draft picks, and seems to be liked by many people but his handling of the offense in general, the quarterback position in particular, and the selection of offensive coordinators is a mess.

Whether it is a college coach, top coordinator, or a coach that is out of football right now we should get rid of JD and Saleh and offer one of these guys control of this team.

With sound management our problems can be fixed.

The brain dead morons running the team now have no answers.

JohnnyJet, tomdeb and dawinner127 like this.
  7. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Any gm that fails to build an o line and d line, I’m not a fan of. Imo, most important part of building a winning team. He’s done well with the d line, but this o line would have inevitably got rodgers killed at some point, and is bad enough where you could never develope a rookie behind it if your plan is to throw him right in the fire

ouchy, amuck57 and BrowningNagle like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Let’s see… has he had even one season where the Jets didn’t finish in last place?

idk how you can say it is anything else but bad

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

A con is most definitely flipping #1's for Rodgers--Minimally this was just extra value we provided that was unnneccesary to get deal done. Was GB really gonna take a +100mm hit if they didn't get this?

Specifically his whole pattern with ZW including not getting a vet QB on the roster prior to getting AR. I think he reasoned he would have to cut ZW which is verboten--but he could have carried 3qb's. Not a great option but you have to pay some cost and that's the better one than where we are now.

REVISion and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. dawinner127

Kind of shocked at some of the responses here. Thought I would get way more positivity and arguing from some people that he is the golden goose. Seems like majority of us are over the honeymoon phase where this guy could do no wrong.

I still think they get 2024 to win unless this goes off the rails.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

CON - Drafting Will McDonald. With the possible exception of a QB, your first round draft pick should be playing in every game the season he was drafted. What an absolute waste of a first round pick.

tomdeb, SOJAZ, ouchy and 5 others like this.
  12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I was a firm believer in him up until this last draft. His last draft for me was head scratcher. His inability to build a good O Line is his other blemish. Zach pick is on him but even San Francisco and Philadelphia were very high on Zach. So if I don't blame him for it, I have to blame him for Becton pick. Safer choices were available and he picked the high risk Becton who didn't see the field last 2 years. So he gets a C from me and I wouldn't hate if Woody decides to clean house end of season. Saleh for me already is on hot seat. Too much Gas(Fart) not enough Meat.

13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

He’s an enigma. He had one incredible draft, the rest not so much. We keep saying the team is so much better, but is it really? Our D gets gashed by good teams and has zero pass rush despite 2 first round picks and Carl Lawson. He took over one of the worst OL’s this team has ever had and somehow made it even worse. He’s stubbornly depended on Becton and a cast of awful, old FA’s that either suck or just retire. He hasn’t had one winning season, and our record hasn’t trended upwards during his time. He was rewarded for his horrible picks by being allowed to throw millions at Rodgers, yet still refused to do what’s best for the team and just cut Zach and sign a real quality backup. Rodgers clearly stated he’s playing 2 years. Zach has 2 years on his contract, we’re literally hoping to develop him into something he’s not, for what? So he becomes a FA at that point? Its absolutely pointless having Zach on the team at all. JD is probably the best GM we’ve had since the Tanny/Mangini combo, but that’s not really a complement.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. dawinner127

I'm not really out on this pick yet. Lawson and Huff are most likely going in '24 so only having to bring in one more edge rather than 2 isn't the end of the world for me. I also think WMD would be getting way more snaps if Rodgers wasn't OFS. That defense would finally be playing with a lead rather than trailing and we would get to see the pass rushers being used properly.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Giving up 2 #3's to get AVT is ok in itself but within his overall drafting plan was a one-off. In 2021 he took Elijah Moore which was a nice pick, but many at the time including myself thought Landon Dickerson was the better pick for the team.

I just don't think he adopted a coherent strategy to address the OL and the picks he did make in the mid-rounds have failed.

ouchy and James Hasty like this.
  16. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

There were literally DOZENS of options on the board that would be playing on this team RIGHT NOW. That was a luxury pick that this team could not afford.

JohnnyJet, tomdeb and REVISion like this.
  17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He's just OK. I like him more than his predecessors, but I'd have no problem letting him go if a proven GM became available.

He drafted a monumental bust at QB. With an average QB, I think the Jets are in the middle of their second straight above .500 record. That pick is on him, it was a colossal mistake.

He's also drafted an excellent WR, a very good running back, put together an elite group of CBs, and a very strong DL. LInebackers are solid, and safeties are meh. I understood the MacDonald pick, but I wanted the WR. Jury is still out.

He's struggling with the OL for sure. It is very difficult to build a strong offensive line. There is a reason half of NFL fanbases think they have the worst OL in football. Personally, I'd like to see the OL that took the field against the Patriots with a real QB.

Overall, I'm not ready to fire him without a legitimate replacement plan. He built a strong enough team that Aaron Rodgers was on board with coming here.

SOJAZ, Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Picks and trades aside it's inexcusable that Douglas put his selfish pride above the team by clinging to the desperate hope that Zach would figure it out.

His refusal to sign an adequate back-up quarterback has helped to put the locker room on tender hooks plus all the respect the Jets finally garnered after the Rodgers trade has now vanished as our team has once again returned to their usual laughing stock status.

#18 BleedJetsGreen1981, Sep 27, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

He's been fine so far. Not great but not as awful as some of his predecessors.

The good thing about JD is that it seems like his drafts have improved every year. He is a 1st time GM, so there's some hope that he'll continue to improve in terms of the draft process.
    I think this sums up it up the best though. Barring a catastrophic end to this year, which is still on the table if Zach remains our starter for too much longer, I think JD and Saleh get one more year.

They sold Woody on this team with Rodgers as the QB and I think Woody gives them at least 1 season where that's the case before he goes full fire-sale.

SOJAZ, Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Elijah Moore was a big miss that hasnt been mentioned. 2nd pick in the 2nd round, that is practically another 1st round whiff.

The 2021 draft was a big one in the league! We are talking historic draft. Other teams from that draft have completely changed the the trajectory of their franchise.

-Miami ended up with Waddle, Jaelan Phillips and first round draft picks in the next two seasons.
    -Eagles got Devonta Smith, and Landon Dickerson (a better guard than Vera-Tucker anyway)
    -Lions with Sewell and Amon-Ra, look how those guys have changed the franchise

There are others too: Bengals (Chase), Cowboys (Parsons), Chargers (Slater) all got studs.

The Jets had more draft collateral than anyone that year with 2 1sts (one of which 2nd overall), 2 3rds and a high 2nd. What do we have to show for it? A decent guard in Vera-Tucker and that is IT

JohnnyJet, SOJAZ, ouchy and 5 others like this.