Issue with Thomas Jones

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ghostridergo, Apr 28, 2009.

1. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

I know that Jones wants more money after his pro bowl year. But what if we traded him some how and got Edge James since he was just cut. Would be be able to sign him to a lower contract than what Jones is trying to get?

2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

NO EDGE! Jones has much more milage left the Edge does.

3. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

Yeah I agree with you on that point but if we some how can't work a deal out and he wants to sit out for the year since his agent is Drew Rosenhaus and he works hard for his players other then Chad Johnson. And since TJ has I believe only 2 years left on his contract and Edge has about maybe 1 or 2 years left in the tank and we can get him cheaper would that work out?

4. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Edge is still a better player than Jones ever was.

5. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Jones is better than Edge....no

6. jetsandtheunder

I'll take TJ here for sure, esp. if Sanchez starts off the bat.

7. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Jones mama says he's ugly...hey!

8. JohnnySample

JohnnySample New Member

The position on an NFL team where a rookie can come in and be effective right away is running back. Shonn Greene was drafted to carry the ball this season. I can't see TJ playing for the Jets this year with Greene on the team. They are looking to get more carries for Leon this year and that will leave very few for Jones. I don't know how this is going to unfold but I just can't see all three of those running backs on team.

9. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Look closer.

10. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Shonn Greene is a third round pick and a rookie who knows what he is capable of. And to cut or trade the leading rusher in the afc because we drafted Greene is rediculous... by the way edge sucks and i do not want him on this team ESPESIALLY if its to replace Jones.

11. MrJames

MrJames New Member

Edge back to IND would have made sense if not for Donald Brown.

12. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Jones wouldn't be cut or traded because of Greene, it would be because he's holding out for a new contract. Tony Richardson and our offensive line made Jones successful, which is why he's expendable. And if you think Edge sucks, you clearly didn't watch any Cards football. His longevity through a full season might be a question but he still plays much tougher and smarter than Jones. Jones gets taken down by a light breeze and just bumps into whoever's in front of him rather than looking for a hole.

13. e-x

e-x New Member

jets have the luxury of waiting jones out because of greene

jones can sit the season out and watch his career flush down the toilet if he wants, the jets should play hardball with him

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The Jets do hold all the cards now. If he holds out he'll end up getting fined so his pay will be even less. He'll show up eventually. It's not like he needs to be at camp learning the playbook.

15. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

Well hopefully we can get him back since we are lacking at the position right now and if he doesnt stay we are going to have to look for another option at RB to help out Leon and Shonn. Edge would make sense if he was for a one or two year replacement. Even Deuce Mcalitster to me would be ok for just a year or 2. Plus from what I remember too was Edge was a good pass blocker when he was with Indy.

16. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i would not be surprised at all if jones gets traded before the season.
    in fact, if i was tanny, i'd try to swap him to cleveland for edwards or arizona for bolden. a re-structured contract to fit the new receiver under the cap is doable.

17. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

What's the cap hit on trading TJ? I think thats the key issue here. If its low, trade him for a 7th rounder. I love TJ the person but he's a JAG and he's overplaying his hand. Unless both Greene and Leon get hurt I don't want to see TJ get a single carry.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I'm really confused by some of you guys logic.
    TJ was the AFCs leading rusher , he may be a year older , but thats it , hes not in a wheelchair yet.
    The guy KNOWS how long he has in the NFL which is why he wants more cash , I would do the same thing , so would many of you if it was your place of work.
    What TJ and LW can teach Shonn Greene will be very valuable , can't see TJ going anywhere.
    Enjoy a top notch running game this next season.

19. ........

........ Trolls

This is absolutely ridiculous. The only reason why TJ should have been traded is if he were the swing factor in a deal. In other words, if the Cardinals came to us and offered Boldin for our 1st and TJ, we should have taken it. Now that we made a better deal for Sanchez, even that one looks ridiculous. TJ's not going anywhere this season, and especially not for a 7th. How is that remotely decent value to shit on our cap? An additional $500k gets tacked on to his current cap number. In all, he counts for $3 million if he's traded.

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Weren't we trading DOWN to swap our first for Boldin? We wouldn't have to add TJ. Now, TJ and a 3rd for Braylon Edwards and Jerome Harrison? I'd do that.