Is Jefferson (DT) gone??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mehl-56, Mar 17, 2024.

1. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I just read this on ESPN

"When the Jets signed defensive tackles Javon Kinlaw and Leki Fotu, the natural assumption was that they had moved on from Jefferson. Not so. They wanted him back. The Jets were given a chance to match the one-year, $3.6 million contract offer he received from the Browns, but they took too long to respond, two sources said. Jefferson had agreed to terms with Cleveland by the time the Jets answered. Things move fast in free agency."

That seems rather alarming to me that they couldn't get back to his people in a timely manner.

sigh...

BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He probably had to wait for us to restructure Mosley and decided Cleveland was an up an coming team, and we are a poop show. He saw the exit, waited till no one was looking, and bolted.

[​IMG]

BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Like @ouchy said, I’m sure we probably had to restructure Mosley first. Jefferson didn’t trust that he was in our plans enough to wait.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If that's the case, it shows what dumb shit JD is. There was no good reason to not have already done the new contract with Mosely so he would have money to make moves in FA. I swear something's not right with JD. He makes a great move, then turns around and makes really stupid moves or doesn't make moves he should. Even though he's had a really good offseaon so far, if he doesn't hit a HR with the draft, I still want him gone.

ouchy, Borat and Nyjets4eva like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Classic JD: some really good moves, and then some brutal head scratchers.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Please don’t take this as support for JD, I can’t stand the guy. That said, Mosley’s only bargaining chip in restructuring his contract was to delay signing any contract knowing it puts JD under pressure to cave. If a delay caused us to lose Jefferson, that delay likely fell on Mosley, not JD. Meanwhile CLE was probably pressuring Jefferson to sign the deal or it’s off the table. This stuff happens all the time; and quite frankly we’re talking about Jefferson, these guys are dime a dozen in the league.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent point! I didn't think about it from that angle. Yes, Jefferson is no great loss, but he was very good for the Jets last season and cheap. Hopefully, Kinlaw will be even better and become a long-term fixture with the Jets. Thanks.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JD couldn't find 3 mil to fit Jefferson under the CAP and had to wait for Mosley? I don't buy it. There were other ways. I'd like to believe the Jets thought they are fine with what they have, but if it's really true that they wanted him and didn't get back in time, it's on JD. I just think JD didn't really want him, because we already have 4 guys plus JFM and Clemons who also play inside and are in Jefferson's mold. This may turn out to be a mistake.

9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Well I’m just going on reports that we did want him (I doubt we really did, but that’s what the report implies). Jefferson is a body on our DL rotation. Considering we are up against the cap I can see us having to move money for him. JD probably asked QJ to wait if he was willing, CLE probably said they aren’t waiting. Again, QJ is like the 45th most valuable guy on our 53 man roster. There’s no mistake in not signing him, Id expect our “defensive genius” to be able to coach up a DL jag to fill time and not do any damage while the better DL players catch their breath for a play or 2.