I'm quickly running out of excuses for Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 20, 2023.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I've been an ardent Joe Douglas defender since his hiring in 2019. I think he knows what he's doing when he's drafting and that's been key to building this team out of the sh*t show that was Mike Macagnan.

However, this season has given a lot of serious doubt about whether he's the man for the job.

Drafting Will MacDonald was a complete waste of a 1st round draft choice in 2023. It's clear, and I said this before the season began, MacDonald would have very little impact if any at all in 2023. It's just ridiculous to think that a 235 pound kid is going to come into the league and play well. He was a DEVELOPMENTAL pick, which I strongly question when you're trying to win a championship. He could be a very good player for us someday but what good is he to us in 2023?

JD did pretty much NOTHING to fix the OL besides getting players with a little more versatility. It's as if he thought that last seasons rash of injuries was an extreme outlier. Something that would NEVER happen again. Well, JD welcome to 2023 and the carbon copy of the injury sh*t show from 2022.

Let's be honest. He probably signed guys like Cobb, Turner, Lazard, Cook, to CODDLE Aaron Rodgers. It was likely to make the transition for Aaron Rodgers easier. Well, the honest truth is EVERY player is complete GARBAGE. Every single player is either way past their prime or just flat out bad players like Lazard. WHEN do we get to cut Lazards pathetic, lazy ass?

He did NOTHING to confront a scenario that ALL of us openly wondered about coming into this season. After AR went down, we were FUCKED and everyone knew it but didn't want to acknowledge it. It was very irresponsible of JD to keep Zach Wilson as AR's backup. In objective fact, Zach had done NOTHING to earn being the Jets backup. If anything, 2022 taught us that Zach was probably 3rd string. Tim Boyle was another irresponsible and presumptuous pick in an attempt to once again coddle an 18 year veteran.

In the end, the 2022-2023 offseason is by far and away Joe Douglas's very WORST time period of work. He failed the team and the fanbase.

I don't want him fired, but I can't defend him for much longer.....

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

While you don't want him fired, I think you made a pretty good case for why it should happen.

dmw, Centiment, Brook! and 6 others like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You JUST made a BUNCH of POINTS about WHY he SHOULD be FIRED!

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Don't want him fired? He's one of the worst GMs we've ever had by W-L. 3/4 of his drafts have been awful. His FA signings have generally been bad. He's been good with trades. That's about it.

5. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I'm in a very similar boat to you, I thought he was pretty decent up until this year. The win loss record is awful, but it seemed like he had the team pointed in the right direction. Whether it was Woody or his own doing, it was a very ill advised move to go after Aaron Rodgers for the price that we had to pay to get him - and I'm not talking about money or draft capital. I'm talking about the fact that we have changed gears completely and have a couple of year window where we have to throw the entire future away to try and win now. We weren't headed in that direction until this off-season.

Further, I will never forgive him for throwing a season away for no good reason by being stubborn or stupid. I think at this point, when an entire season is tossed out the window, it's a fireable offense. I know they aren't going to, so I have to hope for the best.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

JD talent evaluation outside top prospects isn't very good. He hasn't found quality starters outside of the top 50. He's had 22 picks after round 2 and MC2 and Clemmons are the only two we came away with. McDonald was projected late 1st to early second round. Why were we considering him the BPA at 15? Its like in 2021 when we considered Moore BPA at 24, and were surprised he didn't go in the first.

JohnnyJet, Brook!, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Exactly. A GM stupid enough to abandon his long-term plan to go all in on Rodgers to win now (while thinking he could protect Rodgers with this OL), but then refuse to even look for a credible alternative option to Zach when Rodgers went down is a GM who deserves to be in the unemployment line.

8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

yep, your last paragraph sums it up for me completely. Like you, I know they plan to run it back but this guy needs to get his head out of his ass and draft OL period and in FA get WR. And let lawson walk, cut tomlinson, Ask Mosely to take a pay cut or cut him, let fat boy and brown leave or cut them.... if not we are f again... that is why i wantch a real NFL team, 49ners.

JohnnyJet and tomdeb like this.
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The only reason I don't want him fired is because of my supreme confidence that Woody's next hire will be the worst GM in the history of professional sports. He won't be the worst for long though, because the guy Woody hires after that will be even worse.

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Most of the failings outlined in this thread can be traced to one person, Zack Wilson. If he had developed with reasonable expectations of a highly drafted QB few of these issues would be plaguing the Jets now. For example, In Michael Carter's rookie year we were mostly excited by his abilities. When defenses realized they didn't have to defend the pass with Wilson at QB, they shut down the run as they are currently doing to Breece Hall. Are we going to sour on Hall as well? Denzel Mims and Elijah Moore are others who showed promise as a rookie but their numbers went South when Wilson came in. Are we going to get rid of Garrett Wilson because Z. Wilson can't get him the ball? The Bengals are missing their 2 starting tackles plus their best backup, yet are still winning because they are getting good QB play, from a backup no less. The failure to provide adequate backup for Rodgers is Douglas' most egregious failure, especially when we are seeing so many backups doing well throughout the league. JD hasn't been perfect, but he has brought in talented players, more so than any GM I can remember since Parcells. The failure to get that talent to translate to wins falls to the coach and the QB.

#10 westiedog1, Dec 20, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This team has not been above .500 in any year of JD's leadership.

How long will Woody put up with that?

12. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I expect this regime needs to have the offseason of a lifetime

boozer32 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Tannenbaum built the most talented roster in the NFL, and his QB bust was still better than Douglas's.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think that’s fair at all. I think we can use Occam’s razor to determine that Michael Carter and Mims simply weren’t good football players. Carter is the 3rd string running back on a bad team and Mims isn’t even in the league. Moore is a midget that’s doing very little on another mediocre offense with one good receiver.

Wilson had a thousand yard receiving year as a rookie with ZW.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He hasn't even been good with these lately either. Completely got raped in GB trade and also let's now forget when JAX GM stuck him up with INJURED James Robinson for a 6th round pick. And his coach said James was hurt before the trade. Could have been worse - a few more carries, would have been a 5th. But he was just so slow, they didn't play him at all. I just think JD is washed up at this point. Sometimes a difficult job like this takes a tall on you, and JD right now just looks incompetent.

teamgreen likes this.
  16. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this posted here yet. Connor Rogers talks about how bad some of JDs picks actually were. I had forgotten some of these guys already.

twown and Borat like this.
  17. abyzmul

That is so fucking classic. Ashtyn Davis really has turned out to be the best pick of that draft at this point.

18. abyzmul

I wonder how many Jets and Giants players fell off a cliff when they opened the dispensaries in NJ.

Jets69, JohnnyJet and Acad23 like this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas gotta go.

It's really that simple.

20. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Best part of that video is the backdrop: Jets had an awful O-oline coming out of 2019 and passed on dealing for Trent Williams, believing their 2nd round pick (45) was "too rich". Then went and picked Becton at 11 and traded down in 2nd round and picked up Mims. Woulda been better off trading their entire 2020 draft class for Trent Wiliams-- all they got out of it was a backup safety.

Side note/ edit for those curious:
    What'd it cost San Fransisco to get Wiliams? A: A 2020 5th and a 2021 3rd round pick

#20 teamgreen, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    Pepsiguy5, Borat and JohnnyJet like this.