If we do pick a QB at 6, who do you go with?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Poeman, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Forcing the QB issue at #6, who do you select if all available?

1. Trubinsky

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Kizer

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Watson

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  4. Mahomes

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Starting this now, a bit premature with combine still to come and Senior Bowl.
    Mock drafts are all over the place. Say they decide to go the route of a QB...

Who do you choose if you went the QB route? I imagine one of these may be there at 6, lets say if all are there for the sake of choosing:

Trubinsky
    Kizer
    Watson
    Mahomes

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Watson is the only QB I'd consider at #6. I don't want Trubinsky at all. He's a project and while he has an accurate arm, it isn't that strong. More importantly, he's only had one year of starting. If posters have freaked so much about Mac taking a project QB in round 2 (Hack), what do you think they'd do if he took Trubinsky at #6?

Kizer sucks. I don't think I'd take him in the 7th round. I think a STs player would be more valuable than another project QB.

I like Mahomes a lot, but he's a project as well. At QB the Jets take at #6 almost certainly would need to start day 1, and I think that would be a disaster.

I really hope the Jets do NOT take a QB in this draft. I don't like any of them that much. I think the Jets need to find out what they have in Petty and Hack, and until the OL gets fixed, I wouldn't want to risk my high draft pick QB behind a shaky OL.

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Watson. But Kizer would be such a Jets pick.

4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Trubisky's arm is very strong. I would argue he has the strongest arm of the three (Trubisky, Kizer, Watson). He zips the ball all over the field without even stepping into his throws. It is quite impressive.

#4 Martin&theJETS, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    legler82 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I haven't seen that much of him, so will have to take your word on that, but he has never impressed me either with his play or arm strength. Still, with only one year starting experience, I don't want him at all. I see no point in taking another project QB, but if he were to fall to the 4th round or lower, I wouldn't be upset if the Jets took him.

6. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Really wish I had more to see of Trubisky. Really wanted him to stay a year to fill out what is looking to be an above average QB class next year. My gut tells me he'll be a player but off of one year of production, I don't know.

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I have a bastard friend. He is really good with his assessments on college QB's. He was the only one I saw who praised Wentz like crazy right in September well before he was a hot commodity. He was also high on Carr but not on Geno etc. He has been riding this Mahomes guy pretty high this year. He is the only one he wants from this draft. I am confused. Mahomes had 2nd round or lower grade. How did he become a candidate for Top 10 pick suddenly? Regardless, I went with Mahomes.

legler82 likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, what makes you think the Jets will have a draft position next year that would allow them a crack at the supposed better QBs? Frankly, there's a decent possibility that they'll have at least as good, if not better, record next year because their "strength of schedule" should given them an easier schedule. If that happens they could have a lower draft order and be out of the running for the best QBs.

Second, you mention Petty and Hack, but who's your third (or fourth) QBs. What if the Jets sign someone like Taylor or Romo or someone else who becomes a roadblock to the development of Petty/Hack? I know from previous posts that's not what you want, but it's still a real possibility. But, if they were to draft Watson, even if they signed a vet as insurance, it would probably be someone who won't be paid so much or guaranteed to start that they would be that roadblock.

Third, if you would consider drafting Watson at #6, I can only assume that you see his potential as a FQB, so why not draft him? Consider there are no guarantees for how any draftee will perform in the pros. Even Mariota had questions about his ability.

Or let me ask you this:

If the Jets were offered a chance to trade for Cam Newton, would you do it? You would say, it depends on how much we'd have to give up. I would answer: A LOT! More than you or the Jets would probably be willing to give. And yet, what if you had the chance to draft Newton? Of course there would be risks, but you would be offsetting that by the relatively cheaper cost. This is where the Jets are with Watson now.

Finally, the "defensive stud" you and others seem to be intent of picking first won't bring the Jets a SB.

blackssmagic likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

To answer your first question, "First, what makes you think the Jets will have a draft position next year that would allow them a crack at the supposed better QBs?"

My answer can be summed up in two words. Todd Bowles. As if that wasn't enough, will they even have a qualified OC and QB coach? Will Mac be able to address the OL in any meaningful way (meaning will any of the FA LTs be willing to sign here)?

Yes, there's a possibility that their record could be better next season, but imo there's a better possibility their record could be even worse, even with a supposedly "easier" schedule. If their record is better next season, then I would have to think it's because either Petty or Hack (or the 3rd QB on the roster) showed that he was good enough to help the team improve its record in spite of the lousy CS. But for argument's sake, let's say that by some strange occurrence none of the QBs distinguished themselves, and the Jets still wound up with a better record. The Jets would have three options. One, they could possibly trade a lot of picks to move up to take a QB. Two, they could draft a QB in a lower round and hope he developed. Three, they could roll with whoever started in 2017, and then hope to get their QB in the 2019 draft.

IMO it's gonna take another 2-3 years of good drafts for the team to really be competitive anyway, even if Petty or Hack develop or they do draft Watson and he proves to be all that and a bag of chips. They could draft Watson and he could prove to be only a slightly better version of Geno. What then? They'd be in the same place they are now, looking for a QB of the future.

To answer your second question, there's be no "fourth" QB, and unless he asked for way too much money, my third QB would be Glennon. I'm not high on him at all, but he has starting experience, and is good enough to push Petty and Hack, but not so good that he would stand in their way or that Bowles would have to automatically make him the team's starter.

Just because I would consider drafting Watson, doesn't mean that I would or should. It would depend upon where he's valued at the time. Even if he's rated as worthy of being a top 10 pick at the time by the media "experts" doesn't mean that NFL teams will value him that highly, but let say for a minute that they would. If he's rated as being a top 10 pick, then I would take him at #6, but if he isn't, I certainly wouldn't take him at #6, and probably wouldn't take him at all. He might win me over between now and the draft, but at this point, the only way I'd take him was if I could trade down to the 10-15 area and gain a minimum of a 2nd and 4th round pick, or if he was there at our pick in the 2nd round.

No, with draft picks there are no guarantees, but some are seen more as sure things than others. Still, even some of those types fail. Mariota had no questions as far as I'm concerned. I KNEW he would make it and would be good. I didn't think he'd start until at least midway through his rookie season at earliest, and probably his second season. He surprised me by starting from day one.

I loved Cam Newton coming out of Auburn. At the time, I would have drafted him in a NY minute. Now, I've soured on him a lot. He's still an immature, petulant kid and a poor loser. He's not that smart, and has not improved the way I thought he would. He can do some very dumb things on the field. If I had a team that was ready to compete, had a quality CS in place, had at least a 4-5 year window, and just needed the QB, then yes, I'd trade for Cam, probably regardless of price. With the current Jets team and CS, I wouldn't touch him with a 20-foot pole.

As jonathan vilma told you, one player doesn't take a team to the SB. Football is the ultimate team game. Did Aaron Rodgers take the Packers to the SB this season? He's the best QB in the NFL, and he failed to get them to the SB. Why? They lost because GB has had a lot of injuries, and their secondary is almost as bad as ours. One of those stud D picks could certainly help this team get to a SB a lot better than a mediocre QB or one who's a bust.

boozer32 and BomberJet like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thoughtful and in depth reply, but I still disagree on many of your responses, but that's just the nature of individual opinion, right? I would take one of your points to respond, and that's their options in 2018 if they DON'T qualify for a high draft pick. Isn't this where we are now? So, in essence, you're saying that we should waste another year. Sorry, but I'm too old to follow that prescription. By picking Watson - if they even have a shot at him - worst case is that he stinks, and the Jets wind up with a WORSE record next year, thus actually improving their draft order. They also likely don't have a vet QB on the roster who they have to pay and play ahead of Petty/Hack. So in the end, drafting Watson is the best way to go.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

You're welcome. Hey, it's fine you disagree. You could be right.

I disagree that not taking Watson necessarily means that the 2017 season is wasted. It could very well be wasted, and probably will be because Woody will still be the owner, Bowles will still be the HC, and our High School offensive coordinator will suck balls. IMO the only way it won't be wasted is if some of our young players get the chance to develop and do, especially if one of those young players is Petty or Hack. You have yet to mention this aspect and it probably is the most important one. It could very well undermine any good things that Mac does in FA and/or the draft.

They could draft Watson, he stink, they then give Petty or Hack another shot at starting, and one of them play well enough to still wind up with a better record than last year because of the "easier" schedule. They'd have then wasted the #6 pick in the draft on a QB who stinks, when they could have added a key piece to the D that would have made the team even better, and could have just gone with Petty or Hack all along.

As for being too old, I doubt that you're older than me. I'm older than dirt. ;)

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

NC

I always mean to ask. Are you from New York area originally or are you one of the guys who became a Jets fan during Namath era? :)

Also, what do you think about 2 QB's that are being praised for next year. Don't remember the names but one of the guys is the USC QB.

13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Anybody but Watson at 6 would be equivalent to picking someone like Hackenberg in the 2nd round.

14. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Kizer's easily the best of the bunch to me. Based off of the GM's history, I think Kizer's the one who he would prefer the most. I'd stay away from Trubisky. I'm okay with Watson, but I don't think he's a great prospect.

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I had to go with Kizer too. He is a big body with good feet. He has a Jameis feel to him. I like him the best imo. Not big on Watson at all. 17 INTs this year... QBs don't tend to turn the ball over less in the pros. If it is a problem in college it is an exponential weakness in the pros.

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well if they do go QB at 6 it is a serious indictment on petty and hackenberg. Another high round pick on a QB - sanchez, smith, hackenberg, and now ????. Ugh.

17. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Trubisky has a stronger arm then Mahomes? I doubt that. Mahomes has a cannon.

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

At 6 the only QB I'd consider is Watson

But I'd much rather trade back into the end of the first to take Mahomes, jumping CLE/SF/CHI and getting the fifth year option.

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It's not even close. Trubisky needs to wind up and makes his receivers slow down on anything over 40 yards unless he throws it extremely early. Mahomes flicks the ball 50 yards across his body.

JetLifeLo, almbleamal and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I said that in another thread too. He really reminds me of Jameis. I think Winston was more aggressive/ a better deep ball thrower, but their games are really really similar to me. He can be erratic as heck, but the level he hits in some of these games is just amazing to to watch.