If Jets Win the Toss Should They Defer?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 14, 2010.

?

Should the Jets defer if they win the toss?

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I know Rex loves to defer the coin toss. But when I think about this matchup it may make more sense to choose to receive in this one...Controlling the clock would be very important and getting up to a lead on the first drive would be equally important.

What do you think?

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I am more worried about what flavor Gatorade they will have on the sideline.

3. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Absolutely. Set the tone early, knock Rivers around, and show the world that this defense is for real. THEN you run it down their throats.

4. TurkJetFan

lol funny

but this is actually really important...

if the jets are trying to control the clock do we receive in this one and try to sustain a drive for a score? or do we take a chance and hope to stop the chargers from going up early?

it's not exactly along the same lines of the choice of Gatorade

5. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Defensive coaches prefer to defer.

Set the tone with your best side of the ball. Showing them they can't move the ball is the most important. Or do you expect them to run us over?

6. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

In the words of the immortal Matt Hasselbeck "We want the ball and we're gonna score!"

7. TurkJetFan

i don't expect them to run us over....but what i do think is important is to sustain a long drive early and try to take a lead...the last thing we want to do is play catch up from the very start

i really believe that our running game is going to be our best defense in this game

8. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I have no doubt in my mind that Rex Ryan will defer if the Jets win the toss.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Put our strongest unit on the field to start the game and try to setup a short field.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

that's what Rex always does.

11. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

That's what I was thinking. If the Chargers ever get in a position where they're about 14 points up, it might force us to abandon the time consuming run-oriented gameplan and leave the game in the hands of Mark, which may not be the best thing.

However, we have a great defense, and it'd be a great statement shutting them out the first drive of the game. We'd also get the ball first in the second half, and if we find ourselves with a lead at the half, we can come out in the 3rd quarter and dictate the clock with the run.

I just don't know, but I'm not Rex, so whatever Rex will want to do, he'll do.

12. TurkJetFan

i'm not asking IF they will I'm asking if you think they SHOULD

that being said...i think this will be something different in this game

13. Denny

Denny Active Member

Choose to kickoff. Put the ball in Rivers hands and let the defense set the tone on the first drive. Like Rex said, 'We should be favored in every game."

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

I know Rex will defer like he always does. However, this is one game I wouldn't mind gettig the ball first. Get San Diego's defense on the field first, eat up the clock like crazy the first quarter, and wear them down. If San Diego's offense is going to score, they're going to try and do it quick, so in a way it works to keep their defense on the field from the start of the game. This way, if San Diego does score, their defene is going to have to come right back out, still tired from the first series. It should make the passing attack easier, if we can wear down their defense by mid-third quarter. Their defense is already bad against the run, imagine what they'll be like when they're gased. If we control the ball for 40 minutes, we win this game.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Not a chance in hell. There is nothing that can possibly give the Jets a bigger boost than to get the ball first and drive it for a TD on the opening drive.

The sooner we jump out to a lead the more likely the Jets are to pull off the upset.

16. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

so to paraphrase the OP here... you think we should stop doing what's been successful and do something new. i think he should defer, like always. my $0.02

17. TurkJetFan

i have always been in support of defferring...but looking at the matchup and the type of offense the chargers have it may be in our best interest to eat clock early and score first...even if its 3 points

18. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

i get what you're saying, but they've got a hot team. deflating a hot team early can be huge.

edit:
    stopping their drive then going on to score afterwards would suit that need nicely.

19. TurkJetFan

i agree...but also scoring early on them and then sending our defense out there with a lead is even better no?

20. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

yeah mean really we're arguing the same thing here... just in different orders... truth is, the jets D needs to stop them on the first drive, regardless of who gets the ball first.
    i just feel that fixing something that ain't broke isn't really in a coach's gameplan.
    then again, i'm a software engineer... so that's like me asking rex what design pattern he thinks should be used here.