How we can tell if the Jets are legit this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by week17magic, Oct 10, 2009.

1. week17magic

week17magic New Member

The Jets next four games should be cupcakes. @Miami, Buffalo, @Oakland, and Miami at home then our bye. It should be an expectation that we are 7-1 heading into our bye, otherwise I don't think this team is as special as we think so far.

2. crypter

crypter New Member

If the offense starts to jell a little . I believe that if we put up 21-24 per game , with our defense we will win most games .

3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

We have some below-average players, naturally, but no single UNIT of our team right now appears to be bottom-half. That's impressive. Not sure too many teams can boast that. It's still early but at first blush...

coaching -- dynamic, smart, cohesive.
    QB -- an area of concern, but at least average thus far overall.
    RB -- underperforming, but talent-wise, undeniably top half.
    OL -- (see above).
    WR/TE -- scary firepower.
    DL -- Role guys stepping up. Must keep 77 on the field...
    LB -- With Pace back, maybe our best unit.
    DB -- Imagine if Rhodes were as good as he thinks he is!
    ST's -- giddyup.

The Jets have fielded very talented teams in the past, but I can't remember so much talent being so well distributed around the respective units. That seems like a strong sign of legitimacy to me.

(OP, I don't think that any NFL team should have to win 4 games in a row in order to prove legitimacy. If we lose one, some people will go apoplectic, but it's the nature of the league. Too much parity. Plus our team is still gelling.)

4. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Stat-wise...maybe, but these guys , especially @ Oakland, always give us fits. I could see us at 6-2 at the bye, so I would not be overly concerned. If we wind up 7-1, then yes, I would say we have something special going this year. It would also give us a bit of breathing room going into the 2nd 1/2 of the season.

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

it's the so-called "cupcake games" that have stymied the Jets in the past........I won't look past any of our opponents this season

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Oakland gives the Jets fits because of the trip out. The Jets hardly ever play them @ home. Not looking to make excuses and all but the trip does make it difficult to perform optimally. It certainly isnt because they are any good. It levels the field for really bad teams.

The Jets should end the next 1/4 no worse than 3-1 if they are to be considered for real.

7. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

jets should be 6-2 at worst after all those games

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Theoretically, the Jets only "difficult" games remaining are New England, Atlanta and Indianapolis. Carolina, Jacksonville and Cincinatti won't be easy either but playing them at home def. helps

9. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

if they win the afc east

10. JIMsection323

JIMsection323 New Member

As a life long jets fan never take anything for granted and never expect anything. Oakland always gives us a problem. We do have a good shot at 7-1 after the next 4 but ill take 6-2 going into the bye. At that point it would be fair to say we're a legit team.

11. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

yummy cupcakes

12. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

division games are never easy.

13. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

I have always wondered about that. I like the rivalry, but it would be a little more fair if they made some trips out here.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

7-1 is what is expected with this defense and I agree.

if 6-2 happens nobody can complain. But 7-1 going in to face JAX needs to happen considering they seem to have the Jets number. Maybe they can get rid of that obstacle as well.

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Every team drops one they shouldn't. Maybe more than one. This is a reality a lot of fans on TGG need to realize. I expect them to win most of the "cupcake" games, but shit always happens in the NFL today and it will happen to us sooner or later.

16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

You know it's gonna happen right?

JETS go to Oakland, Lose and send TGG into a frenzy! :lol:

17. flgreen

flgreen New Member

As much as I hate to say this Miami will not be a ?cupcake? game. Especially if Cotchery can?t go. They have the #1 rushing attack in the league, and I belive they are #2 against the run.

Their rookie CB?s have played very well. Safeties stink. Ol for the run game has been very good. Ol in the passing game has been horrific.

The way to beat Miami is to get up 10 points on them early, and make them throw the ball. That will be very difficult to do with only Edwards. Smith just can?t get the job done. Clowney hasn?t been on the field. Has to be a reason for that.

Edwards won?t be able to carry the offense having only been in camp 5 days. No timing between him and Sanchez yet. Only other guy is Keller, but if they can keep 9 in the box he will be negated.

This is a very important division game. Now we find out how good and resourceful the team and the CS are.

18. Greencoloredglasses

Greencoloredglasses New Member

There is no such thing as a cupcake game. And we are going to need to be 8-1 or 7-2 at least, going into the New England game if we hope to win the division.

19. YankeeRacers

YankeeRacers Member

To answer the question a Super Bowl win, but I take the word "legit" very seriously.

20. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

New England is getting better every game, if we beat them and the Colts it pretty much says it all, there still are teams like Atl and Jax whose looked good the last two weeks but I'm not afraid of them, Cincy may be tough they are looking good, besides them Colts and Pats are the real challenges of our remaining schedule.