How far are the Jets from contending for a SB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfan1987, Oct 24, 2012.

1. jetfan1987

jetfan1987 Banned

At this rate, I give them one to two solid years of rebuilding (no traded picks, good drafts, no bloated contracts) until they are back in the running for a Super Bowl. What say you?

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

who knows? a year you ago at this time it would have been insane to say the Giants would win the SB. we saw 9-7 and 10-6 teams win the past 2 years. Get to the playoffs and take your shot, this era does not have great teams and the AFC is much weaker than it has been in the past so anything is possible.

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I think it's really hard to say. On the one hand I think we have a lot of the pieces to compete and we're just one bad season removed from back-to-back AFC championship games. So that's a positive. If we can plug some of our holes through the draft and free agency we could be a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately I don't know if we'll be able to do that in a short amount of time and the longer it takes the more people we have to replace because of age or leaving as free agents.

Honestly I think if we still had Revis, Holmes and added a legitimate feature back we could be competing right now. I'd bet we would have beat the Pats and maybe one of the Steelers or Texans as well. Obviously we'll get Revis and Holmes back for next year so if we can add a feature back somehow and if we can draft a few more bodies to take the place of some of our older guys (especially LBs) then maybe we can compete as early as next year. That's assuming that our current young guys improve (especially our recievers and guys like Coples and Mo Wilk, IMO). We could have a great defense and with an added feature back we should be able to run a lot better and open up the play action more which would help Sanchez and if Holmes and Hill can be a good 1-2 punch they could cause some issues for the secondaries of our opponents.

That's a lot of speculation though. A lot of things have to go right. Some may say that we missed our shot and it's too late...maybe, we won't know until it happens or doesn't happen. I think this year is more about developing our young guys and giving them experience, I still think we can make the playoffs which is where you gain the most valuable experience. Then next year Holmes and Revis come back, we hopefully have an upgrade over Greene at RB (he can be the #2 or something) and have replaced a few of our older bodies with young guys. If we can have a relatively healthier year next year (i.e. not lose key players on both sides of the ball for the entire season) then I think we'll have as good a shot as anyone.

4. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Actually, if the coaching staff would get their heads out of their asses, I think we could make a run this year. We need a couple of players to elevate their game, (Mark, Greene and Hill) other than that we match up very well against all of the AFC.

Despite Mark looking ugly in a couple of games, he can be a great QB, he has the talent, he just needs to pull his shit together.

Hill has been on again off again as well, if he improves to be reliable, he is a game maker. A few more games under his belt may help in that regard.

Greene has been running the ball well, if he can continue that effort it takes a lot of pressure off the passing game. McKnight can also provide a spark at RB and ST.

Tebow, for all his passing flaws does one thing very well, he can throw a deep ball. I'd really like to see Hill screaming down field and Tebow air one out to him. Most of the offensive formations they have used him in are very limited, do something creative with the kid.

The CS needs to be more creative with the weapons we have, when the weapons we have don't match up well against other teams. Same with the defense, if you're missing one aspect on defense do something to make up for it. Rex is supposed to be a defensive genius, I haven't seen much of that since 09.

As bad as we have looked in several games this year, underneath the ugly there has been a glimmer of something pretty good. We're only a few plays from being 5-2, maybe 6-1.

5. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

A Quarterback.

6. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Suck for Luck! Oh wait that was last year :breakdance:

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

This team has some decent talent. They just need to plug up the holes on this team. Add a olb and ilb in the draft and add some o linemen for depth through the draft. this team needs a deep threat receiver (Dwayne Bowe?) and a big physical runningback (Steven Jackson?)

We're not that far from contending the Jets just need to make some good moves in the draft and free agency.

8. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

*yawn*

SOJF

9. NFL

NFL Active Member

It could be next year but we need some players to step up.
    Demario Davis
    Stephen Hill
    Jeremy Kerley

We need to resign a couple players:
    Dustin Keller
    LaRon Landry
    Matt Slauson

We need instant starters from the draft
    OLB
    RB

With all that we have a pretty good team for next year. If not then after next year if all goes right all we'll need is Revis on contract for the year after that.

10. BJXX

BJXX New Member

Interesting question.
    If you look at the last 9 SB Champs, they all had great QB's AND great receivers. (The 10th is Tampa Bay but I don't remember much about them)

Of course the QB is important, but what is often over-looked is that each team had several stud, play-making receivers. I bet Eli would agree with me. Without them, even the best QB's are limited against another SB level team.

This is why I am doubtful of the Ravens, Niners, or Texans winning it. They're good, but not "elite".

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

A few more things have to fall into place for us to be real SB contenders. First of all, a system on offense that doesn't throw away downs. Secondly, a pass rush w/o a blitz. (draft?) along with a stout NT (Harrison?). Third, a CS that has enough faith in their players to allow them to go out and play to win instead of play to tie. Fourth, most importantly, LUCK as all good teams seem to manufacture lucky breaks and wins from losing situations. We're not that far away, but we're not on the cusp yet either. Hopefully, the fanbase can tolerate these baby steps as Parity finally takes hold in the NFL and every team can make a run.

12. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

This is a really tough question

NFL isn't like NBA

really, if you make it to the playoffs you can win the superbowl, at least for me that's how it is

But surprisingly i do not see the jets too far away from it
    Like really, if we managed to get a good, consistent, run game, this team could already do something

seriously, defense playing well, good enough to keep us in the game until the end
    - We could make the defense better with some new linebackers
    Offensive Line protecting well, receiving corp stepping up without holmes

#12 Levenhagen, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  13. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

RB QB OL LB DE WR thats how far we are...

14. NJGREEN

NJGREEN New Member

I have all the faith in the world in our defense, but our offense is so shaky.
    i mean we lost two games we could have won so far this year (Texans, Patriots) by giving the opponents the ball instead of scoring which would have won the game in both instances.

I don't think the offense is "clutch" enough to handle the pressure off playoffs let alone the superbowl. I wish sanchez would grow a pair...

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

fwiw. we gave the defense a lead with 1:20 left in the game and couldn't protect it. we also scored 26 points. both cases should results in wins if the defense is what rex says it is. but its not.
    on top of that. the offense went 90 yards late in the game to tie the game up.

16. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I think were pretty far off.. While I have no idea if sanchez can play or not. We need front 7 on defense and to find a running back.

17. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

best case, 3 years
    worst case, never
    likely, 5 years

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There's basically two ways for this franchise to get to be a SB contender. And that depends on whether the Qb is Sanchez or not.

If Sanchez remains as the Qb, the Jets will get rid of Tebow and have to improve at RT, both OG's, and probably two RB's (unless McKnight really steps up). TE is also an issue. If Sanchez stays then I have come around to saying Keller should as well, but Keller is always problematic as a run blocker. At wideout, I am optimistic enough to think that with Holmes back next year, and Kerley showing more development of the sort we have seen already, and if S Hill can cut down on his drops, that would be a decent enough wideout corps.

Of course next year we are probably going to have to replace not one but two LB's, too. So if Sanchez stays, I count having to keep Holmes and Revis, and get at least on OG, an RT, at least one RB, and two LB's (all starters ftr). SOunds like a tall order.

With a top tier NFL Qb the Jets would probably have been a contender entering this season. Assuming Revis and Holmes are back next season, the necesary moves will be at LB, but Davis may be able to start at one position. That leaves getting one other LB to start. But other than that, the roster on O might just be good enough (although I would still prefer a more solid group of producers at RB - maybe McKnight, again, can help there) to win with a top tier NFL Qb.

Soooo... how do the Jets get a top tier QB? Heh. That's a whole nother discussion.

19. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Andre Johnson isn't elite?

And there is that running back that is ok too - Arian Foster maybe? *smh*

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Arizona got to a Super Bowl a few years ago out of nowhere with a 9-7 record. So if you want to talk about lucky streaks going all the way to the last game the Jets have the same chances half the league does.

In terms of being a Super Bowl favorite again? For that you're about ten starters away from the mark and you might well lose another one or two while you're finding the ten.

Based on what we know right now the positions that need upgrading before the Jets are seen as a favorite again are: QB, RB, RB2 (if Greene goes), 3rd down back, WR, WR2 or Slot, TE (sorry, Keller is not a plus player just a decent one), TE2 (if Keller goes), RG, LG, RDE (if 4-3), ROLB, LILB (unless 4-3), LOLB, FS (Bell is 34), SS (unless Landry both stays and stays healthy.)