How did you become a Jet Fan .. and How long

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by dBLitzer28, Feb 25, 2007.

?

How long have you been a Jet fan

1. 0-5 Years

8.6%
  2. 6-10 years

25.0%
  3. 11-15 years

21.6%
  4. 15+ years ... Im OLD ..

44.8%
  1. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

I saw this thread on other forums and thought it was cool ..

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I was 8 or 9 years old in 98 (I'm only 17 right now). Jets were the first team I saw play and I simply stuck with them ever since. I was heartbroken after the AFC title game defeat... It still gives me nightmares.

3. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I'll admit I'm a newbie. I didn't get into football until 1998 (I was 16) when a friend of mine convinced me to do a fantasy football team with him. He was a big Jets fan. My dad rooted for the Jets and Giants. He probably liked the Giants more but was never able to get me into football. That year, the Jets exploded and had a very memorable season and I've been a die hard fan ever since.

4. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

I 1st saw a jet game when i was 7 (now 20)... been a fan ever since

5. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

My two older cousins, one on my father's side, one on my mother's side, were Jet fans and they bred it into me during the early 70's.

The first game I ever attended was at Shea in 1974 when I was 13 years old; Namath beat the Dolphins, and we all stormed the field, as we did many times after.

Whenever my uncle got tickets through his job, he took us. That didn't happen often, maybe a half dozen times.

Jets used to get blacked out quite often during the mid 70's so I would have to listen to games on the radio.

Saw the playoff clincher in 1981 vs Green Bay--still the best game I ever attended.

Finally got my own season tickets in 1986. First game as a STH?
    Jets 51, Fins 45.

6. KyleBradyoverSapp

KyleBradyoverSapp New Member

The Sack Exchange

7. Beamen

Beamen New Member

As a really young kid, I started becoming a fanatic in 1996. My dad took me to the Jets vs Eagles game. It was dank as hell outside, and we were all the way up top, but I had the time of my life and fell in love with the Jets (we lost 21-20, I believe, en route to a 1-15 season) So it's been a little more than 10 years...

8. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Im really a Mangini kid. I didnt become a die hard fan until last season

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

After going to a Superbowl party when I was living in Sweden in early 2002 I resolved to watch the following season on the telly. I was a student, so the late nights weren't a problem, and though I didn't know everything that was going on, I still became hooked.

As for why the Jets? It's strange, but I feel more like they picked me than the other way around. I simply found myself rooting for them for no particular reason. It's emotional rather than logical.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Became a Jets fan in 1991. Up to that point I had watched super bowls with my parents when thay had parties, but since I played basketball that was my first and favorite sport.

One sunday I found myself watching a game between the Jets and the Dolphins (or was it the Bills). Both teams were 7-8 and vying for the last wild card. I decided to root for New York since it was closer to NJ. The Jets ended up winning on a last second field goal and I went nuts jumping up and down and running all over the place. My fate was sealed.

Too be honost, I don't even remember what happened in the playoffs that year. We lost to Houston maybe? I could be confusing that with the year we missed the playoffs do to a dismantiling in Houston though. I was only 10.

Didn't really start to follow every game untill Boomer was brought in. Vague memories of Kenny O., Al Toon, Brad Baxter, Terrance Mathis, Rob Moore, etc. It's been a bumpy ride, but at times it's been a pretty god damn fun one too. Jets fan for life.

#10 Jets81, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  11. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

0-5 years (started in 04)

why? mainly because of Ben Graham and that i have moved here from Australia. I am totally addicted to the Jets team as well as have many favs playing in the green and white....i live and die by sunday in winter now...:)

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

1965 JWN rookie year

13. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

I can remember watching the Jets on TV at my Aunt's house when suddenly the program switched to Heidi and everyone was like "you gotta be kidding me". I was 8. But for some reason I did not watch the remaining games they played or the SB. I started following them in earnest in 71 and still waiting like everyone else to see that SB that I missed.

Although I did see the Jets SB win a couple of weeks ago when a friend taped it. Man could Namath throw. Talk about a defense that had to stay honest. Where has that been.

14. Allentown Ernie

I am old,"69 years" however the reason was Joe willie Namath, He was the person from PA. that drew me to the Jets. Man, in those days the games were like 45 to 40, bombs away all game long. They were fun to watch. Yes we had T.V. in those days. But we had to get up to change the channel," no remote". Allentown Ernie.

15. Allentown Ernie

Hey champ, am I older than you ? Allentown Ernie.

16. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was rooting for Murrell to get 1,000 yards during the 1-15 season in 1996

17. Mjet67

Mjet67 New Member

Watching.....Joe Klecko and the Sack Exchange................

18. Laxman

Laxman New Member

I was born into it. We only watched Jets games in my house as my dad and uncles are all Jets Fans.

19. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

My Dad got season tix in '75, I turned 5 years old, and we have been going ever since. I've missed two home games in the 32 years since. ('78 woke up with the chicken pox & '95 had food poisioning and was in the hospital for two days)

A close friend of family has had tickets since '60 when we were the Titans. He actually received a letter in '00 from Woody advising that he was only one of I think it was 100 season tix holders left since '60.

20. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

11 years. First game that I remember watching was in 1995, I'm 20 now.